Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone had a stoma ?

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
My best man had a stoma. He managed to fly out to the wedding in South Africa with no problems. Quite funny when we were on a game drive and the ranger asked the questions about any medical conditions to see the reactions of people around us. But it showed me that you shouldn't be embarrassed and you shouldn't let it stop you doing things - the more open about it, the more people admire you for facing up to it.

Good luck and I hope everything gets back to normal soon.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Ms spider replying...
As a nurse I have had a few experiences of dealing with stoma bags... I would say that with your problem (which isn't uncommon) getting an adequate seal is vital. If you're finding that the bag itself isn't providing this you could try duoderm which is a protective dressing (acts as an extra layer of skin). This can help to assist in the bag sticking as it's not straight to the skin which can obviously sweat etc. I would definitely recommend you visit your stoma nurse as they know so much and will be very willing to help. They are experts and will have experience in any problem you may come across. I'm sure you'll get it sorted....just don't be afraid to ask for help :)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Ms spider replying...
As a nurse I have had a few experiences of dealing with stoma bags... I would say that with your problem (which isn't uncommon) getting an adequate seal is vital. If you're finding that the bag itself isn't providing this you could try duoderm which is a protective dressing (acts as an extra layer of skin). This can help to assist in the bag sticking as it's not straight to the skin which can obviously sweat etc. I would definitely recommend you visit your stoma nurse as they know so much and will be very willing to help. They are experts and will have experience in any problem you may come across. I'm sure you'll get it sorted....just don't be afraid to ask for help :)

Thanks. Two weeks in and I think I basically have one issue. I seem to have two areas on my tummy where the bag does not stick very well, and that is where I get leaks. My stoma nurse says I have a skin crease which seems to be the issue - maybe bacause I've lost so much weight over the last 6 months, so now I'm eating and putting on weight again it may help.

When we had an issue last night we applied a special stoma adhesive paste, both to me and to the bag and crossed fingers, so far has held. My sister being a nurse has just said she has duoderm in the car, so that could be another option.

I feel that if I can get over this hurdle, get a seal I am confident with, and moreover one I can do myself, then I just may be able to get through. I think I gave a bit of a trial and learning experience to go through to get to that point though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hey Rich, sorry to hear about all these problems you're having. I just had a chat with Jann as she has had to change stoma bags as part of her work being a carer. A little tip she asked me to pass on is when changing the bag it is often best to keep the replacement bag next to your body for a while before applying the adhesive, to bring it up to your own body temperature. She found this often helped with keeping it in place.

Wishing you all the best mate.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Hey Rich, sorry to hear about all these problems you're having. I just had a chat with Jann as she has had to change stoma bags as part of her work being a carer. A little tip she asked me to pass on is when changing the bag it is often best to keep the replacement bag next to your body for a while before applying the adhesive, to bring it up to your own body temperature. She found this often helped with keeping it in place.

Wishing you all the best mate.

Thanks Jon. We were aware that warming the new bag might help with the sticking, it is something we're trying to do, it all helps. It's all a learning process but I've just managed to go out to a resturant for lunch, so all is not lost. At least since the op I can actually eat now, which after 8 months of not eating is a real bonus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here