Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone experienced an earthquake

kiwigull

Nov 14, 2008
new zealands always been like that, its why theres so many mountains etc. that being said those were the first proper ones i'd felt, wasnt fun.

The ground moves for NSC member Woodchip on a regular basis. Stay safe fella!

(Has NZ always been like that or is just more widely reported nowadays anybody know?)

Nearest I ever came was a three point something in Crete once, just enough to wobble chairs on the balcony. Still made the papers back home.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
I was in Christchurch for the big earthquake in 2011. Just checked into hotel when whole place shook. Heard buildings falling and saw fires break out. Flooding in the street etc. Absolutely terrifying! Then spent next 24 hours inside a military lockdown around centre of the city. Aftershocks were continuous. Horrible experience and of course a terrible thing to happen to the people of this lovely city.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
In Tokyo a year after the bid tsunami they were still having regular aftershocks, we were at dinner one night when all these phones started going off, then seconds later all the chairs and tables started shaking a the cutlery started jumping around - they were early warning phone apps warning of an aftershock offshore which took a fe seconds to hit. Then the next night I thought I was having a nightmare and the bed was shaking in my 28th floor hotel room only to wake up to realise it was! That was freaky.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I was in Christchurch for the big earthquake in 2011. Just checked into hotel when whole place shook. Heard buildings falling and saw fires break out. Flooding in the street etc. Absolutely terrifying! Then spent next 24 hours inside a military lockdown around centre of the city. Aftershocks were continuous. Horrible experience and of course a terrible thing to happen to the people of this lovely city.

That was dreadful, lost a few colleagues in that one

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Olu Deniz last year, think someone said it was a 6.0 on the Richter scale.

Bloody scary, we were in a little supermarket buying some water as it was baking (as usual), and all of a sudden the shelves were all falling down, and it was a mad scramble out the shop with everybody screaming, things falling off the ceiling etc. So much stuff on the floor it actually made it a bloody task to get out the shop :lol:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have just had an earth-shattering* experience here in Chandler, AZ.

(*that might be slightly over-egging the pudding)

[TWEET]661071491220561920[/TWEET]

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think I experienced a mild quake while staying in a very cheap hotel in San Francisco. But it could have been a rather energetic couple in the next room.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
i slept all the way through the 1985 mexico city earthquake

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
The nearest to an earthquake experience was in 1978 going on the earthquake simulation machine at the Science Museum in London. It was pretty shakey...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Yep...woken up by serious vibrations in Cape Town...a few buildings minor damage,...but scary nonetheless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here