Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone else thinking about mowing the lawn?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This weekend my wife commented how much she would appreciate some Galium Aperine in or around her herbaceous border and is really looking forward to her Kigelia Africana bearing fruit this year.
I mowed the lawn last weekend and I'll have to do it again this coming weekend. Bloody grass.

I suppose your wife would need the cleavers to splice the sausage?:rolleyes:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I was right in to tropical plants for years, Trachycarpus, Yuccas, Phormiums etc. About seven years ago, I suddenly saw the light and since, everything I've planted has some bio-diversity value. Tropical plants with this value I did get planted in a lot of Brighton and Hove are Agapanthus africanus and Echiums. These are wonderful for bees. You'll find these in a lot of Squares in Brighton, notably New Steine and Dukes Mound. Both species are salt tolerant (as are a lot of tropical plants), and the combination of these Agapanthus and Phormium "Yellow Wave" make a very colourful display near the sea.

I have a few agapanthus and echiums as well as the usual trachys, chamearops, yuccas, bananas etc. I grow a lot of boos, mainly fargesia with the occasional phyllo. I also have a mixed summer bedding scheme with pelargoniums, begonia and the like. these are interspersed with crassula, tradescantia and other 'traditional' house plants.
I do allow some 'normal' plants in my garden, with sedums, sage, lavender(spit) and other insect friendly stuff.
The main point being is I hate roses! No other plant I've grown needs so much care. Pests and disease abound with aphid, leaf hopper and scale, rust, black spot and mould will keep you active plus a pruning regime that is second to none.All the while, the thorns remove flesh from your body and blood from your veins. This is what you encounter to have the balmy summer evenings filled with the musky scent of an old english rose!
As for early spring, daffs, winter jasmine, forsythia all show me winter has past and the days are getting longer. But, yellow, yellow, yellow! Every thing that shows colour in my garden before the tulips is yellow! Even the first cut of grass gives it an insipid yellow tinge.........I'm missing the football

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rudbeckia Goldsturm is a wonderful plant. Vibrant yellow flowers and as tough as old boots. One of my favourites as is Verbena bonariensis. This is a tremendous plant for pollinating insects. About ten years ago, I designed the seasonal bedding in the Old Steine using mainly this and a few Petunias. Looked stunning and attracted most of Sussex's bees!

I’m just an amateur, but have picked up a few tips from the internet and Gardeners World.

The Rudbeckia’s, planted from small bought containers, are the only plant struggling to get going. They have plenty of rich mulch and I’m making sure the alkaline free draining soil doesn’t dry out. Fingers crossed.

I’ve planted the Verbena’s in ribbons through the new border. Should look good.

I also have self seeded Stachys Byzantia (Lambs Ear) in a corner - a magnet for bees from June.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I’m just an amateur, but have picked up a few tips from the internet and Gardeners World.

The Rudbeckia’s, planted from small bought containers, are the only plant struggling to get going. They have plenty of rich mulch and I’m making sure the alkaline free draining soil doesn’t dry out. Fingers crossed.

I’ve planted the Verbena’s in ribbons through the new border. Should look good.

I also have self seeded Stachys Byzantia (Lambs Ear) in a corner - a magnet for bees from June.

Rudbeckias do take a time to take off. All of a sudden they flower stems will leap up and you'll wonder why you were so concerned! If they're very young plants, it might be next year and onwards when they really perform.
Stachys byzantina are a nice plant. Can't resist stroking the furry leaves.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I have a few agapanthus and echiums as well as the usual trachys, chamearops, yuccas, bananas etc. I grow a lot of boos, mainly fargesia with the occasional phyllo. I also have a mixed summer bedding scheme with pelargoniums, begonia and the like. these are interspersed with crassula, tradescantia and other 'traditional' house plants.
I do allow some 'normal' plants in my garden, with sedums, sage, lavender(spit) and other insect friendly stuff.
The main point being is I hate roses! No other plant I've grown needs so much care. Pests and disease abound with aphid, leaf hopper and scale, rust, black spot and mould will keep you active plus a pruning regime that is second to none.All the while, the thorns remove flesh from your body and blood from your veins. This is what you encounter to have the balmy summer evenings filled with the musky scent of an old english rose!
As for early spring, daffs, winter jasmine, forsythia all show me winter has past and the days are getting longer. But, yellow, yellow, yellow! Every thing that shows colour in my garden before the tulips is yellow! Even the first cut of grass gives it an insipid yellow tinge.........I'm missing the football

I'm with you on Roses. However, Jevs has planted some interesting disease resistant, fragrant Roses in Preston Rock Garden. I'm still not wholly won over, but I must admit, they are quite nice.
As for the yellow thing, there are some lovely white daffs, Thalia for example. There are lots of non-yellow Crocus, then there's Camasia and Alliums. No need for a yellow white-out!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm with you on Roses. However, Jevs has planted some interesting disease resistant, fragrant Roses in Preston Rock Garden. I'm still not wholly won over, but I must admit, they are quite nice.
As for the yellow thing, there are some lovely white daffs, Thalia for example. There are lots of non-yellow Crocus, then there's Camasia and Alliums. No need for a yellow white-out!

Don’t forget the snowdrops!....and i’m thinking his first cut is too short if he's getting yellow tinge..or the lawn needs some help

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
my wifes' clivia is jumping out of it's skin .....i have done my best to smash it back into the undergrowth but it is a persistent blighter.......her native freesias are bountiful and fragrant , i can even find them in the dark.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Don’t forget the snowdrops!....and i’m thinking his first cut is too short if he's getting yellow tinge..or the lawn needs some help
The lawn definitely needs working on this year. For some reason, I've gone full on mossed up......not a drainage thing(maybe too porous) and I haven't scalped. It's time for a decent feeding and watering

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

...and snowdrops! (forgot them!!). Then there's Muscari, Chinadoxa, Scilla - surprise surprise!!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Flower buds are now forming, just a little bit longer to wait, then hopefully, a real show of colour.

It's getting there! Nepeta, Salvias and Phlomis showing colour. The grasses are shooting up by the day, as are the artichokes. Who needs lawns?!!

Attachments

• NSC PG 12.6.19.JPG
    NSC PG 12.6.19.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 179

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
That looks nice Jack, it'll look like the Rockery before too long :wink:

Coffee soon?

Thanks Jevs. I couldn't have done it without your assistance! :bowdown:
I'll be in touch soon.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
It's getting there! Nepeta, Salvias and Phlomis showing colour. The grasses are shooting up by the day, as are the artichokes. Who needs lawns?!!

That'll take some mowing. Just reading a book about Bumble bees and just ordered some Borage, Comfrey and Vipers Bugloss seeds :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Jack, that's amazing, all in no time. Must have a micro climate there in your Tongdean Avenue garden.

It's been a great growing weather. My Nepeta, Borage, Lavender and Salvia Caradonna have taken off with this rain, the bees have been feasting on the Nepeta for weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here