Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone else surprised by the complete lack of noise around the rest of our squad?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think we have been very clear who is and who isn't for sale and other Clubs have respected that.

Another factor is that there are only a very small number of Club's that could attract our players at this stage.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Lots of media guff about Caicedo but he was only one cog in last season’s well oiled machine…

Anyone else surprised there’s been not so much as a whisper of interest in Ferguson, Estupinan, Mitoma, Enciso amongst others.

I’m not complaining obviously but it is a surprise to me.
These are all one season wonders, whereas Moises played an additional 7 games the season before.
Wait until Christmas and the offers will come flooding in.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Estupinan is the one for me. He's not a youngster, he had a decent pedigree before he came here and he immediately proved that he could bring his game to the Premier League and flourish. He would be a risk-free addition to any top Premier League squad.

I can understand why there'd be limited, if any, obvious interest in the others though...

- Mitoma: an unknown entity who started like a house on fire, but went off the boil a little bit. Was he less effective once defenders learned more about him, and came up with tactics to deal with him? I think I'd be putting him on a watch list to see how he performs in this coming season, or half-season with a view to deciding if he is worth pursuing.

- Ferguson: literally no chance of prising him away from Brighton currently. See how he develops, and get the mega-money ready for a year or two's time.

- Enciso: flashes of brilliance, clearly very talented but can drift in and out of games a bit. Needs more game time and he'll get that more of that at Brighton currently than a "big club". Keep a watching brief.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Maybe our top-6 finish and subsequent Europa qualification has been sufficient detriment to all but those prepared to pay absolutely top-dollar fees and wages?
Think this is the key not just for the club but also the players.

Few of our squad would have believed they'd be at the club when it enters it's first European Comp. From the club perspective there's now an extra figure on the top of the previous values.

As we know our squad has not just proven it can compete for Europe we should have been even higher if it wasn't for some really poor officiating. No other club suffered as much as us.

el punal

Lots of media guff about Caicedo but he was only one cog in last season’s well oiled machine…

Anyone else surprised there’s been not so much as a whisper of interest in Ferguson, Estupinan, Mitoma, Enciso amongst others.

I’m not complaining obviously but it is a surprise to me.
It’s because they’re all hard at work learning Arabic and reading up about wealth management.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I imagine it's down to the players as much as anything - discussions may well have been had behind the scenes, but they'll only make it into the media if the player/agent is keen for the move.

I think Ferguson, Mitoma, Estupinan and Enciso (and their agents) probably all realise they have a better chance of a big money move after a full season in Europe. Of those 4, only Estupinan played a full season as a starter last year.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
This indeed seems ridiculous odds - because this bet isn't actually available!
I thought the whole point of that site was it used APIs to pull in prices. But rubbish if that is the case. But I only ever use it to see what the market thinks rather than have a bet.

el punal

Big Money moves for White, Bissouma and Cucurella have set a fear that our top players may be over performing in our side and that they may struggle to replicate such levels in a poorly run club that lacks direction or a plan.

Equally it sends a message to our own players around timing and taking the next step in career progression. However finishing in an European spot has probably helped keep some of our squad happy for an extra year so they are not internally pushing for a move.
There was actually a coherent post on the Chelsea fans forum. It alluded to the fact that when playing for Brighton those players that have moved (Bissouma, Cucurella, Trossard) were brilliant, hence the reason they were sold for substantial fees. Unfortunately, went the post, those players could not replicate that form with their new club.

Maybe the penny has dropped with a lot of Brighton players that are possibly looking to move that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. We are now seen as an upwardly mobile club that ticks all the boxes, helped of course in that we finished last season as a top six club and will shortly be involved in the Europa League - so why tempt fate and move?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We is a big club but the big club don't think we is.

Therefore no big club will shop at Wilko.
While no little club will shop at Harrods.

One way or another they'll be a feeding frenzy in 12 months time.

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
Estupinan is the one for me. He's not a youngster, he had a decent pedigree before he came here and he immediately proved that he could bring his game to the Premier League and flourish. He would be a risk-free addition to any top Premier League squad.

I can understand why there'd be limited, if any, obvious interest in the others though...

- Mitoma: an unknown entity who started like a house on fire, but went off the boil a little bit. Was he less effective once defenders learned more about him, and came up with tactics to deal with him? I think I'd be putting him on a watch list to see how he performs in this coming season, or half-season with a view to deciding if he is worth pursuing.

- Ferguson: literally no chance of prising him away from Brighton currently. See how he develops, and get the mega-money ready for a year or two's time.

- Enciso: flashes of brilliance, clearly very talented but can drift in and out of games a bit. Needs more game time and he'll get that more of that at Brighton currently than a "big club". Keep a watching brief.
Mitoma will be back to his best, I think. De Zerbi saying "you can't sub off Mitoma" was nice in theory but in reality it just got too much - we ran him into the ground. Don't think the same will happen next season, the Nottingham game taught RDZ that you can't win games in the PL (unlike in the Serie A) if players only play at 75% of their capacity. I expect Mitoma to get more rest next season to ensure that he can perform every time he is on the pitch.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I imagine it's down to the players as much as anything - discussions may well have been had behind the scenes, but they'll only make it into the media if the player/agent is keen for the move.

I think Ferguson, Mitoma, Estupinan and Enciso (and their agents) probably all realise they have a better chance of a big money move after a full season in Europe. Of those 4, only Estupinan played a full season as a starter last year.
Agreed.
Looking forward I do worry that if we don't achieve a European spot for the 24/25 season we will have our top performers queuing to leave and their agents creating a lot of noise. Similar success this year will keep the wolves from the door to some extent.
Saying that, when we near the slamming of this years transfer window I fear we will lose one of Mitoma or Estupinan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here