Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anyone else really looking forward to next season?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
To be honest, I've felt this way every season since promotion. First season was about staying up only, which we comfortably achieved. Second was hopefully to be more comfortable, which in January we were. Then it was the Potter revolution which finished well and gave us all hope but we've had effectively the same season again.

Next season should be good but if we don't address our inability to create and take good chances in the final third, we're doomed to another Groundhog season of being lovely to watch and almost there, but still hovering in the bottom third of the league.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're getting there.

Keeping hold of our best players and adding a little more creativity in midfield and more firepower upfront seems the way to go.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Honestly? Not really, I’m so out of love with football at the minute, I used to watch loads of football and now I only really watch our games and even that is more through fear of missing out.

Not really sure why, probably a concoction of different things.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Looking forward to be back at The Amex & the football is more pleasing on the eye.

However - a dose of reality, when looking back at the finishing table - says that in the 4 years we have been in the Premier - no progress has been made.

Who knows - next year maybe that leap forward or not? - but we thought the same this time last year .....

BHA with 34 points & 6 games left still need 8 points to overhaul last seasons tally:

2019/20 41 points 15th
2018/19 36 points 17th
2017/18 40 points 15th

This.

Sadly you don't win points for being pleasing to the eye, if you did we'd finish in the top four and be playing in the Champions League. Results are the only thing that matters.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I genuinely think we will be a handful next season for most clubs, no more are we a team who turns up to top 8 sides prepared for damage limitation, would love a goal scorer and of course would love to stay up too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We're getting there.

Keeping hold of our best players and adding a little more creativity in midfield and more firepower upfront seems the way to go.

The creativity is already there l think, we are making a lot of chances . . . sadly though only taking a very few of them.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This.

Sadly you don't win points for being pleasing to the eye, if you did we'd finish in the top four and be playing in the Champions League. Results are the only thing that matters.

Results are not all that matter, and clearly not to our Chairman, or CH would still be in charge. Come on. i get the need for half a dozen more points but its so easy to see the progress being made, it does not happen over night.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
However - a dose of reality, when looking back at the finishing table - says that in the 4 years we have been in the Premier - no progress has been made.

Agree that there's a lack of progress in terms of the table, but I'd argue there's been massive improvements in terms of the potential to make progress. At the end of the Hughton era I'd argue we were playing as a relegation fodder team. No confidence, no sign of any genuine attacking intent to go and win games. As we finish this season, it's a completely different feel to me - we look up for it every game. We've pushed top 6 sides to the limit. The reason we are where we are currently is because of how many points we've thrown away from winning positions - that's a big change, and while we're still dropping points we're not dropping them (note: I've not actually checked the stats...) at the same rate in the Sanchez half of the season as we were in the Ryan half of the season.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That's a bit premature. There's still 18 points to play for, we still have to avoid relegation, we could still catch Palace, once safe we may be able to play the last 4 or 5 games with more freedom, there's Caicedo and Karbownik who will surely get some game-time, will Maupay reach double figures?

We've worked hard to get ourselves in a position where we're 7 points above relegation with a game in hand and this is an opportunity to for our highest finish and points total. I'm looking forward to these next 6 matches.

Is it wrong of me to be hugely disappointed with Maupay? I'd have expected at least 12-15 goals by now and 18 for the season.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We should really borrow one of the catchphrases from Del Boy and adopt it as the club motto 'Next Year We'll Be Millionaires'. as we seem to continually say at the end of each season and in the close season next year is going to be our year and optimism abounds until reality arrives after the first few games.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Something seems to have clicked with out team, defensively at least.

Add to this that our luck has to change at some point (we hit the fricking post again).

The final piece of the jigsaw is that we score some more goals.

I am predicting a great season for us next year.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2:

Yes, massively!

Putting all of the other reasons for optimism and excitement aside, the two things I'm most looking forward to are seeing Lamptey and March on the field for us again. We've missed them, put them back into this organised, exciting and generally excellent side and we could do something really special (with another attacker hopefully added too). And we all need to see Lamptey flying down the wing in the flesh finally.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Next season is big for us. Get the window right and we can be challenging for Europe. Get it wrong and it's more of the same.

I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to it now but i will be in July.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm not sure. Talk of selling players for that magic £50 million mark disappoints. We should be keeping them and adding a striker. That said, interesting fact last night that Maupay has scored more than any Chelsea player. Just need the others to score as well.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Really looking forward to the new season. Can't wait to be in the stadium again and will try and go away a few times too. Think it'll be an exciting season for us assuming we stay up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can’t bloody wait......have pretty much written off the rest of this season as not that interesting now, we’ll be comfortably safe.

Back in a full Amex and hopefully awaydays too, plenty of bile to aim at the big 6 when we play them, us playing decent football, huge potential in the squad, a likely signing or two to strengthen even further and the ‘other 14’ essentially running the PL while the big 6 seek forgiveness. Anyone not looking forward to next season is never going to look forward to football. If we could just scrap VAR as well..........

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Win against Sheffield and the relegation battle is over.

Indeed looking forward to next season. I imagine it might start a bit rough as the team needs to adapt to playing without Bissouma, but by the end of the season I think Brighton will be in the top 12 with 50 points or so., though that could be adjusted downwards or upwards depending on what happens in the summer (transfers in and out, Lamptey situation).

Is it wrong of me to be hugely disappointed with Maupay? I'd have expected at least 12-15 goals by now and 18 for the season.

Yes, expecting someone to be a top 3 goal scorer in the PL is a bit "wrong". Generally speaking people really dont have realistic expectations on the number of goals from strikers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Win against Sheffield and the relegation battle is over.

Indeed looking forward to next season. I imagine it might start a bit rough as the team needs to adapt to playing without Bissouma, but by the end of the season I think Brighton will be in the top 12 with 50 points or so., though that could be adjusted downwards or upwards depending on what happens in the summer (transfers in and out, Lamptey situation).

Yes, expecting someone to be a top 3 goal scorer in the PL is a bit "wrong". Generally speaking people really dont have realistic expectations on the number of goals from strikers.

Some perspective from last night in that Maupay has more goals than (ESL mega club) Chelsea’s top scorer.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Very much looking forward to next season, and there’s a lot to be excited about.

I think our team has grown and evolved a lot this year. Our second half of the season form has been excellent. We’re capable of beating anyone now.

Sanchez is a massive, massive upgrade to the team. The clean sheets since he’s been our number one tells its own story. Webster has come of age this season as a bonafide PL player. Lallana has turned his fitness around and rolled back the years. Ben White passed his first PL season with ease. Gross has been redefined. And we have March and Lamptey to come back, Moises to come in, plus any new signings and any other u23 players Graham wishes to introduce. Bit of luck, and we have exciting times ahead.

Two home wins and another bottom 5/6 fight ain't really the stuff of "looking forward" in great excitement. As ever, might change if we do some signings that have the potential to break us out of this cycle

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Earlier this season we were excellent in the middle of the pitch but found wanting at either end. We were also extremely unlucky not to get some hugely impressive results.

Recently though we seem to have tightened up the defence and are now pretty difficult to beat. We are still being unlucky not to get some impressive results. Welbeck hitting the post against Chelsea for example.

Next in our progression is that we start to convert more of our chances. This coupled with a turn around in luck could mean that we are in for something really special next year.

All this year we have shown that we are close to being an excellent team. I just think that it will come into fruition soon.

Now you have made me over think it though and I feel I might be back to my usual pessimistic self. :lolol::lolol:

We are as you said close to being an excellent team . If we can get another striker that is an upgrade on what we currently have , and March and Lamptey back , we could realistically finish in the top 10 .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here