Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wordle 534 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Wordle 534 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Just how it goes for me I'm afraid. Could have been a lucky two but not to be and probably hoping now for another draw.

Played 260, Current Streak 77, Max Streak 126, Average 4.22 (1098/260)
I believe you got your wish, BB.

Gutted but looks like, as per Germany, for me, Ze Vordle Vorld cup iz over

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Group A Current Table with one round to go

PositionGroup APWLDPDPoints AvPoints
Q1Bedsex530232.411
Q2Bakero632103.210
3SeagullsoverLondon532033.69
4Frutos521252.88
5Ooh it's a corner522123.27
6The Brighton Bear5140-13.63
7Surrey Jim5140-126.43

Tuesday6DecemberGroup
FrutosVSeagullsoverLondonA
Ooh it's a cornerVThe Brighton BearA
BedsexVSurrey JimA
BakeroNo game
@Bedsex and @Bakero have qualified.

Final 2 places between @SeagullsoverLondon , @Frutos and @Ooh it’s a corner .

Ooh needs to win against @TheBrightonBear or if it is a draw need SoL to beat Frutos by 4 (unlikely!)

If Ooh loses, SoL and Frutos qualify.

If Ooh wins, Frutos needs a win to qualify and knock out SoL.
SoL needs a draw to qualify.

@Bedsex needs a win or a draw to go through the group stages unbeaten. A win guarantees top spot.

TBB and Surrey Jim playing for pride

Hope that makes sense

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Group B update

PositionGroup BPWLDPDPoints AvPoints
Q1Titanic630333.312
2BrightonCottager532024.49
3Badger Boy511313.66
4Bold Seagull5113-13.86
5Papak5230-34.46
6Dinner with Gotsmanov512204.05
7Harry Wilson's tackle5131-24.04

Congratulations to @Titanic who has qualified and is unbeaten, although could still be overtaken for top spot in the group.

So Wednesday's games are:

Wednesday7December
Bold SeagullVBrightonCottager
PapakVDinner with Gotsmanov
Badger BoyVHarry Wilson's Tackle
TitanicNo game

@BrightonCottager is in pole position, but must ensure that he doesn't lose badly to @Bold Seagull , as @Papak @Badger Boy could also overtake him with good victories.

For everyone else a defeat would probably be fatal, but @Dinner with Gotsmanov and @Harry Wilson's tackle could still qualify, providing other results go their way, as well.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Group B update

PositionGroup BPWLDPDPoints AvPoints
Q1Titanic630333.312
2BrightonCottager532024.49
3Badger Boy511313.66
4Bold Seagull5113-13.86
5Papak5230-34.46
6Dinner with Gotsmanov512204.05
7Harry Wilson's tackle5131-24.04

Congratulations to @Titanic who has qualified and is unbeaten, although could still be overtaken for top spot in the group.

So Wednesday's games are:

Wednesday7December
Bold SeagullVBrightonCottager
PapakVDinner with Gotsmanov
Badger BoyVHarry Wilson's Tackle
TitanicNo game

@BrightonCottager is in pole position, but must ensure that he doesn't lose badly to @Bold Seagull , as @Papak @Badger Boy could also overtake him with good victories.

For everyone else a defeat would probably be fatal, but @Dinner with Gotsmanov and @Harry Wilson's tackle could still qualify, providing other results go their way, as well.
Thank you @SeagullsoverLondon for all your work on this and deep analysis. I can't work out how 'PD' works - apologies for missing this, but I'll be happy to qualify. Tomorrow I'll share what my 3rd go was today which I wasn't expecting to be a word, but was. I've looked it up and is incredibly obscure - would appreciate views from this forum.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
Group A Current Table with one round to go

PositionGroup APWLDPDPoints AvPoints
Q1Bedsex530232.411
Q2Bakero632103.210
3SeagullsoverLondon532033.69
4Frutos521252.88
5Ooh it's a corner522123.27
6The Brighton Bear5140-13.63
7Surrey Jim5140-126.43

Tuesday6DecemberGroup
FrutosVSeagullsoverLondonA
Ooh it's a cornerVThe Brighton BearA
BedsexVSurrey JimA
BakeroNo game
@Bedsex and @Bakero have qualified.

Final 2 places between @SeagullsoverLondon , @Frutos and @Ooh it’s a corner .

Ooh needs to win against @TheBrightonBear or if it is a draw need SoL to beat Frutos by 4 (unlikely!)

If Ooh loses, SoL and Frutos qualify.

If Ooh wins, Frutos needs a win to qualify and knock out SoL.
SoL needs a draw to qualify.

@Bedsex needs a win or a draw to go through the group stages unbeaten. A win guarantees top spot.

TBB and Surrey Jim playing for pride

Hope that makes sense
Thanks for all of your hard work @SeagullsoverLondon and it is great to get my first points even though they were only earned by default. I am sure that my game-day performance tomorrow will be up to my usual standards :poop:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Thank you @SeagullsoverLondon for all your work on this and deep analysis. I can't work out how 'PD' works - apologies for missing this, but I'll be happy to qualify. Tomorrow I'll share what my 3rd go was today which I wasn't expecting to be a word, but was. I've looked it up and is incredibly obscure - would appreciate views from this forum.
PD is points difference in your games, but with the +/-signs changed around, i.e. a 4-3 scoreline give a positive +1 PD for the player with the 3 and a -1 score for the player with a 4.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
This has been an excellent idea @SeagullsoverLondon and really helped me drive down my average. Looking forward to a final day shootout with @Harry Wilson's tackle to try and secure my place in the next round.

Apologies if you've already covered it and if I've missed it previously, but how will the knockouts work? Are PD and Averages going to come into it?

Also, finally - I want to take this moment to say I start with the same word every day as I know it has never been the Wordle. At some point, it will do - whether that's tomorrow, next week or next year it will eventually be the Wordle so I will knock in a 1. I'd love it to be in a knockout situation but I know how it's going to look when it eventually happens and I want to mention it well in advance so I can return to this post and quote it... one day!

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Inaugural NSC Wordle World Cup 24th November - 11th December

14 teams have "qualified" for the competition to be held in Fully air-conditioned Cyberspace.

As organiser I have changed the rules at the last minute, although you can still drink Budweiser while playing (but it probably won't help)

So there will be 2 groups of 7, with 7 rounds per group, played on alternate days. Therefore Each team gets to play 6 rounds against another team in the group and in each round, one team will not play a game.
3 points for a win (lowest score wins!) , 1 point for a draw, and points difference for each game will calculated.
If a team does not declare a result on the date they are due to play, they will be deemed to have scored 7.
Top 4 teams in each group will go through to the Quarter Finals for the knockout stages.
The groups have been made on the basis of the Wordle League table, with Bakero and Titanic being top seeds in each group, and others placed according to their rankings in either group A or B. Teams with no declared wordle averages have been randomly placed in a group.

So the two groups are:

Group A
Bakero
Frutos
SeagullsoverLondon
Bedsex
The Brighton Bear
Surrey Jim
Ooh it's a corner

Group B
Titanic
Bold Seagull
BrightonCottager
Dinner with Gotsmanov
Harry Wilson's tackle
Badger Boy
Zeberdi

The fixtures will be posted shortly
@Badger Boy - the rules for the comp's latter stages.

No mention of how the match-ups will be determined but I suspect 1st vs 4th, 2nd vs 3rd etc. from the opposite group.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
This has been an excellent idea @SeagullsoverLondon and really helped me drive down my average. Looking forward to a final day shootout with @Harry Wilson's tackle to try and secure my place in the next round.

Apologies if you've already covered it and if I've missed it previously, but how will the knockouts work? Are PD and Averages going to come into it?
Good question: To decide the groups and positions I was going with PD, then Averages, then Head to Head, but there is a possibility that Group B may end up with a replay to decide positions.
I think into the knock out stages, we need to go old school FA Cup and replay drawn games until we get a result. This may push the schedule back, but I think is the only fair way.
I will look at the original dates I suggested and see if we need to build in additional potential replay days.

It has been fun to organise, and hopefully for some of us spiced up the daily wordle a little bit. I am 18 days away from completing a whole year's worth of Wordle thanks to @Bakero and probably would have stopped playing every day, if it wasn't for this thread, and @The Brighton Bear in particular for starting the League table.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Also, finally - I want to take this moment to say I start with the same word every day as I know it has never been the Wordle. At some point, it will do - whether that's tomorrow, next week or next year it will eventually be the Wordle so I will knock in a 1. I'd love it to be in a knockout situation but I know how it's going to look when it eventually happens and I want to mention it well in advance so I can return to this post and quote it... one day!
There are approx. 2000 words in the Wordle dictionary. Your word is in there as it is accepted when entered so there's a 1/2000 chance which increases slightly each day.

If the game ran for 5.5 years, it would definitely come up (assuming duplicates solutions haven't been programmed in) - whether it comes up between now and the end of this comp is the question!

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick

I’m using the same starter word every day too, that has never been the Wordle. Imagine the drama if we both have the same word and it comes up on the day we play each other in a knock-out game!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here