Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone else nearly done?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I was thinking this when we qualified in Athens and I think last night makes it closer. I expect some howls of protest but hear me out. I think a cup win would see me as completed as a Brighton fan. Not in an "I'm leaving" way but I think a cup win would see me content if that is as good as it gets. Yes Champions League and winning the Premier League. But given the last 44 years, what we have now is more than I could have dreamt of.

It started with a next door neighbour's birthday party at a 0-0 at home to Saints in 1979. I was hooked but reliant on my dad taking me so only saw a few games in Division 1. Been a regular since I convinced him to get a season ticket in the mid 80s and later could then go under my own steam. So I have mostly seen the team on the slide.

There was the trip to Filbert Street loaded with Peperamis ready for the Salami chant but sitting down eating them at half time as we were abject. There was the stuffing at Fulham in the Autoglass trophy with about 60 of us there. There was Canvey Island, Kingstonian and Sudbury. There was Orient as rivals for a while. There was that game at Selhurst. There was Gillingham. Long journeys back from Scunthorpe, Halifax, Wrexham and God knows who else after losing.

But there was coming back from 2-0 at Anfield in the cup. There was the Nelson and Bremner season. There was 90/91 which was great fun, if ultimately shattering losing to Colin. There was Doncaster and Hereford.

Then there was Withdean - mostly great if surreal. I actually feel sorry for the fans of the "big" clubs who have never known these lows. When losing a home game and only finishing 10th is a disaster, how can the wins be as sweet?

Then came the Amex and, one season excluded, we were competing at the second tier. Then came the "promised land". Speculation about how long it would take to score against a Big 6 club. Grinding out results. Now, a point away to City is the only thing we have left to do against the big clubs. We have hit some of them for 4.

Europe was a pipe dream but here we are. Not stinking the place out was all I was hoping for given our draw. Then we qualified. And then, we beat former European Champions without them having a shot on target and are in the last 16 of a major European competition. The fact it was a late winner makes is so much better.

I know the Bloom masterplan is still going and we are becoming one of the "big" clubs. But I feel to wish for anything more would seem greedy after where we have been. I think the desire for a cup win is probably it for me and that may be just because of the 2 recent semis and the fact I wasn't there in 1983. As I say, this isn't a "I don't want more success" rant but more of an "I could die happy" post.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I was thinking this when we qualified in Athens and I think last night makes it closer. I expect some howls of protest but hear me out. I think a cup win would see me as completed as a Brighton fan. Not in an "I'm leaving" way but I think a cup win would see me content if that is as good as it gets. Yes Champions League and winning the Premier League. But given the last 44 years, what we have now is more than I could have dreamt of.

It started with a next door neighbour's birthday party at a 0-0 at home to Saints in 1979. I was hooked but reliant on my dad taking me so only saw a few games in Division 1. Been a regular since I convinced him to get a season ticket in the mid 80s and later could then go under my own steam. So I have mostly seen the team on the slide.

There was the trip to Filbert Street loaded with Peperamis ready for the Salami chant but sitting down eating them at half time as we were abject. There was the stuffing at Fulham in the Autoglass trophy with about 60 of us there. There was Canvey Island, Kingstonian and Sudbury. There was Orient as rivals for a while. There was that game at Selhurst. There was Gillingham. Long journeys back from Scunthorpe, Halifax, Wrexham and God knows who else after losing.

But there was coming back from 2-0 at Anfield in the cup. There was the Nelson and Bremner season. There was 90/91 which was great fun, if ultimately shattering losing to Colin. There was Doncaster and Hereford.

Then there was Withdean - mostly great if surreal. I actually feel sorry for the fans of the "big" clubs who have never known these lows. When losing a home game and only finishing 10th is a disaster, how can the wins be as sweet?

Then came the Amex and, one season excluded, we were competing at the second tier. Then came the "promised land". Speculation about how long it would take to score against a Big 6 club. Grinding out results. Now, a point away to City is the only thing we have left to do against the big clubs. We have hit some of them for 4.

Europe was a pipe dream but here we are. Not stinking the place out was all I was hoping for given our draw. Then we qualified. And then, we beat former European Champions without them having a shot on target and are in the last 16 of a major European competition. The fact it was a late winner makes is so much better.

I know the Bloom masterplan is still going and we are becoming one of the "big" clubs. But I feel to wish for anything more would seem greedy after where we have been. I think the desire for a cup win is probably it for me and that may be just because of the 2 recent semis and the fact I wasn't there in 1983. As I say, this isn't a "I don't want more success" rant but more of an "I could die happy" post.
I know what you mean. If I didn't have Albion-mad young kids, I think I might feel the same. But because I do, long may it continue.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
yeah winning something is pretty much all i want to see now. i still have quite a few years left hopefully, so if they can be as successful as possible then brilliant.

but in this day and age, where trophies are reserved for a select few giants and petroclubs, if we won something, I would feel that pretty much every box has been checked as an albion fan

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I'm with you. Broadly over the last years it has been getting better. So really enjoyable. We are likely to plateau (best scenario) or possibly go back a bit . And then it won't feel so good.

I'm still Albion until I die though

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I keep thinking I'm done and then the club takes me further.
The Amex, and then promotion to the PL, beating Man City, beating Chelsea, and getting into Europe. Maybe I'm being greedy?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I thought I was “Done” when we reached the FA Cup final.
Beating Ajax a fantastic club in a proper European game was the next level for me.
Silverware of any type would be amazing although just seeing Brazilian forwards in our front line makes me smile.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I'm done when Tony Bloom gives up and that will probably be because there will be nothing left to win

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
You can’t “be done “ with the Albion .. it is like a marriage. You endure the bad times , but somehow they are still enjoyable because you are glad to have her/the club. Then when the good times arrive , woo hoo ! It is great and feel like a teenager again.
Whatever results we get , whatever division we play in I follow Brighton !
The only thing that might make me think it is time to leave is if a future owner sold out to some corporate or sports washing body. Then we’d have nothing to be proud of.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Don't be done yet. We never competed in the 3rd tier at the Amex. We were promoted at 'the' Withdean :thumbsup:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
There are loads of grounds I still haven't visited like Port Vale, Crewe and Blackpool. So I'm well and truly in until they
get into the PL :)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I feel pretty done with going to games in person, but I can't not watch. I can't pretend I don't care about the players coming through and the results and everything associated with the club. I almost wished I didn't, but I can't break the habit of my lifetime.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was 'done' when I walked up the steps at the Amex for the Donny game and we'd finally got our club back.

Everything since has been a bonus :thumbsup:
I know what you mean. Three months of imposter syndrome followed, and a fear that I'd wake up and, just like all the catastrophe nightmares I have had in the past about the loss of the Goldstone and the great fall, it would all have be a dream.

For me the four hour drive (total) is quite a thing, and I'm getting worried about my health (ironically my joints rather than the effects of my debauched and bacchanalian lifestyle). So it is getting harder....

But what was once almost a duty, and for a while an escape from a fractured life, is now.....epic. The people around me are really nice, and the pre match routine we have now set up very pleasing. Hopefully I will get my son back in a few weeks (he's on new daddy duty), and onwards and upwards.

My view is that one moment, like the moment last night (after I had waited patiently for the VAR check, as is my wont) is a ridiculous reward for time that is actually itself already well spent.

Done? Done? f*** that! :O :cheery::laugh::salute:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In the past there were moments when I thought we'd peaked, or at least I thought the next acheivement would be "it", but nowadays there really is no ceiling.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I wouldn’t say I would be done, but winning something is just about the only Albion related thing left I want to experience.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are loads of grounds I still haven't visited like Port Vale, Crewe and Blackpool. So I'm well and truly in until they
get into the PL :)
How times and circumstances have changed. My last two away games were Liverpool and Arsenal several years ago, and Amsterdam recently. But in the dog days I have been to Vale Park, Gresty Road (now the Mornflake :LOL: ) and Bloomfield Road (twice). Decide on the morning of the match whether to go, then just turn up, find somewhere to park, and PotG. Bit different now. I find the logistics off putting. I have enough trouble when my home ticket vanishes into the æther. I may well go back on the road when I've retired. It will be emotional..

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Not sure how anyone thinks we're anywhere near done.

We haven't made it yet and won't have done until I see reports on TV of an armed coup from a failed West African state with a guy wearing a Brighton shirt on the back of a Toyota pick-up firing a Kalashnikov rifle into the air.

Then, and only then is our work complete.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We were still shit when we started at the Amex in the 2nd tier, 0-0 vs Blackpool was possibly the worst game I have ever suffered through.
There was a time during the latter Houghton era when I was leaving very early. One game I left around 70 minutes. I was sitting there thinking "I have been daydreaming for the last 5 minutes. Nothing is happening on the pitch. I'm off.".

The first season at the Amex was all about overcoming anxiety for me, and marvelling at the stadium. As long as we didn't embarrass ourselves and get ransacked by multo goals by the likes of Reading, in a half empty stadium with the world laughing at us, I was happy. Fast forward to Feb 2019, 0-0 at home to Watford, with the notorious 0-5 to Bournmouth only weeks away, no, having settled into the Amex years earlier that was a tough watch. That said, I didn't imagine for a minute we'd stay up in the EPL for one season so even 2019 was a bonus of sorts.

And now look at us!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here