Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone else ill all winter, every winter

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It's the kids, for 2 reasons.

1) They are magnets for viruses and bring them home

2) They ruin your sleep, leaving you less able to fight off and recover from viruses.

Just get shot of the kids and all will be fine again

Unfortunately that works until you get your grandkids and look after them a couple of times a week and then it's back on again :rolleyes:

Like OP, been constantly bugged out since about Oct. Wife seems immune to make things worse. Daughter and son in law has had it bad too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Growing up in Eastern Canada, I've never been sick in winter except for the 4 years I spent in South Korea, where the temperature was rarely below 0 °C. I'd have the flu every January and be sick in bed for a month.

Then I moved directly from Seoul to Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia) in 2000, and lo and behold! didn't fall ill once, thanks no doubt to the December-January-February -30 °C daily highs. It was quite apparent that my immune system required Canadian-cold temperatures in winter to kick into gear.

There's an old wives tale - green winters equal full churchyard.

Or is it? Damp mild winters encourage viruses to spread whereas a cold frosty winter tends to kill the bugs off.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I absolutely recommend a flu jab, however. If you can't get a free one (too young), buy one. At the hospital where I work all staff get one free. Every autumn. Other schemes are doubtless available.
Yeh I had the flu jab (and my company paid for it). It's nothing as bad as flu but constant niggly colds. Supposed to be running 24 miles on Saturday and it's going to be touch and go.

People have also mentioned SAD which can go hand in hand with all the lurgies to make for a really miserable time. I've managed to get over this largely as a result of moving to working from home (thank you COVID) so I now walk the kids to school every morning and go for little runs / walks at lunch time. Exercise and getting outside are vital I think.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yeh I had the flu jab (and my company paid for it). It's nothing as bad as flu but constant niggly colds. Supposed to be running 24 miles on Saturday and it's going to be touch and go.

People have also mentioned SAD which can go hand in hand with all the lurgies to make for a really miserable time. I've managed to get over this largely as a result of moving to working from home (thank you COVID) so I now walk the kids to school every morning and go for little runs / walks at lunch time. Exercise and getting outside are vital I think.
👍

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Been lucky. Never get colds or flu. Never got covid despite working in social care and travelling on public transport the whole way through.

My weakness is my stomach. If I’m going to be ill, it hits me in the gut.

At least twice a year I have a thrusting combination of the Eartha’s and nausea.

If I’m stressed, it goes to my guts.

But no, never get colds or coughs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I agree with getting outside but don't overdo the running. Walking is a better exercise, as is swimming.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I walk anything between 12 and 20 miles a night at work including a fair bit of running / speed walking, eat healthy and go to the gym. But I have to sleep in the day three days a week due to night shifts. Poor quality sleep and not enough of it. Sleep is my nemesis 😔

Not had a day off sick in 8 years through illness. But I’ve taken a couple of fatigue days. I think that’s where any health issues I have come form, just being tired all the times

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've got 2 kids (5 and 6) and am hardly ever ill - not had a day off work since early 2022. Only time visting GP was to get the urologist's handshake and PSA prompted by the NSC prostate thread (all good).

Was going to suggest diet, excercise etc., but it seems that that's already been looked at. What sort of excercise are you doing? I've seen suggestion that stuff that boosts testosterone, such as heavy weight lifting, can boost energy and immune system. Or maybe it's the 80g of oats and the double espresso that I chug nearly every morning?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've got 2 kids (5 and 6) and am hardly ever ill - not had a day off work since early 2022. Only time visting GP was to get the urologist's handshake and PSA prompted by the NSC prostate thread (all good).

Was going to suggest diet, excercise etc., but it seems that that's already been looked at. What sort of excercise are you doing? I've seen suggestion that stuff that boosts testosterone, such as heavy weight lifting, can boost energy and immune system. Or maybe it's the 80g of oats and the double espresso that I chug nearly every morning?

I’ve always weigh trained. Since I was 14. I’m in my 40’s now. I walk in the countryside regularly for pleasure and have done since my teens.
My GP has opined that this has fortified my immune system.

I’ll take that.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I was just doing running up until Christmas but they had a great offer at the gym (£230 for the year, including swimming) and I've been going 3-4 times a week for cross-training and weights. Thought I'd hate it but I've been really enjoying it and it seems to help the running.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Recently I said to a colleague:-

'morning James, you alright?'.
'no I've got a touch of flu'.
'no you haven't you wouldn't be here if you did, at most, you've got the sniffles'.

Silence.

If anyone else wants a consultation in my surgery, it's £50:00 an appointment.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Recently I said to a colleague:-

'morning James, you alright?'.
'no I've got a touch of flu'.
'no you haven't you wouldn't be here if you did, at most, you've got the sniffles'.

Assumed James was just about to call you a f***ing **** and walk off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I used to be an IT contractor. If I didn't go in, I didn't get paid. Amazing cure for most ailments. My left leg fell off one night. Still managed to hobble in and invoice next morning :thumbsup:

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Pretty sure thatll be down to the kids, it used to happen to me all the time. Mine are still in primary but are a bit older now. Grab yourself some ginger, tumeric and cayenne pepper along with citrus fruit of your choice, bang a shot everyday. That along with vit d supps and maybe controversially keep your kids at arms length when theyre snotty should help, oh and don't eat your kids food.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I used to be an IT contractor. If I didn't go in, I didn't get paid. Amazing cure for most ailments. My left leg fell off one night. Still managed to hobble in and invoice next morning :thumbsup:
Yes. It is amazing how much more resilient the people I work with who are on hourly-rate contracts in comparison with salaried staff!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. It is amazing how much more resilient the people I work with who are on hourly-rate contracts in comparison with salaried staff!
You know they're pulling a fast one when they phone in sick with that telephone voice, like they're two steps removed from their death bed or something. Nobody ever genuinely phoned in sick using their normal voice 😄

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You know they're pulling a fast one when they phone in sick with that telephone voice, like they're two steps removed from their death bed or something. Nobody ever genuinely phoned in sick using their normal voice 😄
Ever heard of the Bradford score? It's an formula recognised by HR professionals whereby they'll square the number of instances you're ill per year and multiply that by the total number of days. E.g. if you're really ill and miss 2 weeks off work but take no other sickies in the year you'll only score 10, but if you take 5 days off for 1 day at a time on separate occassions, you'll score 125.

Gives some quite telling results. What's even more telling is assessing the number Mondays and Fridays taken off in comparison to Tues-Thurs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ever heard of the Bradford score? It's an formula recognised by HR professionals whereby they'll square the number of instances you're ill per year and multiply that by the total number of days. E.g. if you're really ill and miss 2 weeks off work but take no other sickies in the year you'll only score 10, but if you take 5 days off for 1 day at a time on separate occassions, you'll score 125.

Gives some quite telling results. What's even more telling is assessing the number Mondays and Fridays taken off in comparison to Tues-Thurs.
Even if it's only an urban myth, I desperately wish it to be be true. Always massively in favour of Clevor Trevers having their cards marked 😄

Having read this thread, I've just placed an order for a max strength Vitamin D spray.

I love being out in the sun but combination of busy desk based job, family commitments/general day to day drudgery and our unpredictable weather means I probably don't get enough of it.

And I used to have a mediterranean sunshine holiday every year, but haven't been abroad since 2019 and am feeling it.

Feels like I may have unrealistically high hopes for a small daily dose spray – but hopefully it might help stop me getting colds every few weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here