Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else feeling pessimistic?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
As it currently stands the squad is considerably weaker than last season (Bridge, Vicente & Spanish Dave are big losses imo) but there are still 7 weeks until the transfer window SLAMS shut so plenty of time to get some players in. Will OG have the pulling power of GP? Bloom says he expects a top 6 finish and usually he gets what he wants...
We'll see soon enough.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What a bunch of pessimistic negative keyboard warriors.

Same people spouting the same doggerel last season; "The division looks stronger." "The teams coming down are gonna spend every other team out of it." Blah, blah, blah. We finished 4th to prove them all wrong. None of the relegated teams even made the playoffs and one was relegated again.

So far, we have lost Bridge, a big loss, and David, less significant. That's it. Vicente contributed virtually nothing last season, so not a loss of any note. I predict we will replace David with better. I presume OG / DB have someone lined up. We will struggle to get a LB as good as Bridge, but I'm sure we'll sign someone very good. Any signings over and above those two will strengthen the squad.

FFS cheer up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My mood has changed with the news that Barnes is being tracked by Hull and Norwich :down:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
As it currently stands the squad is considerably weaker than last season (Bridge, Vicente & Spanish Dave are big losses imo) but there are still 7 weeks until the transfer window SLAMS shut so plenty of time to get some players in. Will OG have the pulling power of GP? Bloom says he expects a top 6 finish and usually he gets what he wants...
We'll see soon enough.

Errm what exactly did Vicente do for us last season? Hammond had more of an influence than him.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Concerned about our prospects at the moment. Squad is weaker with loss of bridge, hammond, lopez and vicente and these need to be replaced and soon. Just being to wonder if ffp has bitten harder than first believed and we may run with what we have. And the poyet saga is still ongoing, 8 weeks now, it must affect preparations. Advertising for assistant manager, did Oscar's team not join.
As people state earlier just doesnt feel right.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Errm what exactly did Vicente do for us last season? Hammond had more of an influence than him.
Granted we didn't see him at at his best last season but he was never really given the chance to get into his stride as was chronically under-used by Poyet. Yet dspite that, he remained someone who was capable of great skill and guile which could unlock a stubborn defence... how we could have done with him against Palace in the second leg. The squad is weaker without him.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Now those who know me will tell you that I am a pretty cheery and optimistic fellow... however for some reason there is a nagging feeling in me that this season is going to be tough. Relegation battle tough.

Can't put my finger on why. Seeing the Assistant managers job advertised on the website has made it worse for some reason!

Anyone else feeling the same or am I being a grumpy b*****t?

Get a grip mate. Here's a starter for for you Leeds 0 Albion1

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What a bunch of pessimistic negative keyboard warriors.

Same people spouting the same doggerel last season; "The division looks stronger." "The teams coming down are gonna spend every other team out of it." Blah, blah, blah. We finished 4th to prove them all wrong. None of the relegated teams even made the playoffs and one was relegated again.

So far, we have lost Bridge, a big loss, and David, less significant. That's it. Vicente contributed virtually nothing last season, so not a loss of any note. I predict we will replace David with better. I presume OG / DB have someone lined up. We will struggle to get a LB as good as Bridge, but I'm sure we'll sign someone very good. Any signings over and above those two will strengthen the squad.

FFS cheer up.

And Hammond. And Painter (didn't concede a goal with him on the field, but more importantly losing him and bridge means we have no experienced left back). Dicker also had some good games, steadying the team at times. You are assuming there are players lined up, but no one knows that to be true. Turning down a player means we don't want that player/can't agree terms, fees, bonuses, etc. not that we necessarily have someone else lined up. People can only go on what we currently know.

Personally, I'm indifferent at the moment. The season is too far away for me to get excited or pessimistic, but the team is weaker, and there's no sign of that changing at the moment.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And Hammond. And Painter (didn't concede a goal with him on the field, but more importantly losing him and bridge means we have no experienced left back). Dicker also had some good games, steadying the team at times. You are assuming there are players lined up, but no one knows that to be true. Turning down a player means we don't want that player/can't agree terms, fees, bonuses, etc. not that we necessarily have someone else lined up. People can only go on what we currently know.

Personally, I'm indifferent at the moment. The season is too far away for me to get excited or pessimistic, but the team is weaker, and there's no sign of that changing at the moment.

Of course I don't KNOW that we will make signings, but do you KNOW we won't!? How likely do you think it is that we will not sign, for example, a good LB? I put it to you that there is a very high probability that we will sign the players we need to get back up to strength.

As I said, FFS cheer-up!

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Not bothered at the moment, I think we have a good enough squad now to survive in this division, the question for me is are we going to be able to sign players to enable us to compete at the top end of the table again this season.

Think we will compete again this season top half finish and possibly play-offs. Look at the other clubs and not many are signing anyone, ffp is kicking in. The players being signed by Leeds and others are not any better than what we have got, so not too worried. Need a couple of other players and I reckon we will be ok.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Granted we didn't see him at at his best last season but he was never really given the chance to get into his stride as was chronically under-used by Poyet. Yet dspite that, he remained someone who was capable of great skill and guile which could unlock a stubborn defence... how we could have done with him against Palace in the second leg. The squad is weaker without him.

No it's not as he never played! He can be good as he wants but it's **** all good to anyone when he's permanently injured.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
How can you say that!? Vicente may have been hugely influential during training and behind the scenes. We can't possibly know that.
Utterly stupid statement to make.

Oh so we should pay someone a players wage because they can pull off a few tricks in trainjng yeah okay mate. As long as he does a few Hollywood passes in training all good. Wow. Vicente could shag some people's wives and they'd still ask him back for dinner.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Personally I cannot see us having the same season as last year. I think there are quite a few decent teams in this division and my gut feeling is top half , maybe 11th to 14th will be about right.

I just hope after last year our expectations are not too high and if so give this guy a chance to prove himself after a decent run.

I fear if we are not up near the top, he will be subject to the boo boys

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Looking forward to seeing how Oscar does (love the style of football he is meant to play) hopefully he is given time if it don't work out straight away. Worried about the squad depth but trust that is being sorted and is not a result of cost cutting.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Nope. I still think we're only 2 or 3 players from having a team to compete for a top 2 place. I'm pretty sure a few meetings will be lined up with potential recruits in Spain next week. Have faith!

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
The matter with Gus should be resolved by the weekend, as this Sunday is three weeks after his sacking and an appeal hearing had to be heard within three weeks of the sacking.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Think we will compete again this season top half finish and possibly play-offs. Look at the other clubs and not many are signing anyone, ffp is kicking in. The players being signed by Leeds and others are not any better than what we have got, so not too worried. Need a couple of other players and I reckon we will be ok.

In particular Leicester. I have a friend who's a big Foxes fan and he tells me they have just taken on a hatchet man behind the scenes to get them in line with ffp. He expects no signings of any note, and indeed a cut in wage bill this year. Leicester gambled on promotion last year and failed. It seems that Barber has us ahead of the field when it comes to the new rules. I fancy a few ffp fines from other teams coming our way in the next couple of years!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I am probably one of those
yes my glass is normally half full but there is something not sitting right and I cannot put my finger on it
and I really hope we are wrong

glass normally half full? My arse.

when any politics thread appear on here about the present lot or thatcher you keep spouting how hard you've had it and how you've struggled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here