Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone else feeling a bit sad...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sorry, it's a no from me. Struggle to even bother reading about the previous season once it's gone. It's all about the present and optimism for the future for me.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It is natural and needs to happen but it does feel a bit sad seeing the players we were 'together' with start to depart. I remember feeling the same way the first time around too TBH...losing Brian Horton, Paul Clarke and the gang.

I remember losing Brian Planet, Johnny Goodchild, Collins...yikes!!!

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
...at seeing our promotion team being whittled away? Oh sure, it was always going to happen, it needed to happen and I'm excited for the future, but that team was arguably one of the greatest in our history, and I felt a real connection to them which I've struggled to get with our new PL players. In the last few weeks we've lost Kayal, Murray and Duffy, who were all so integral to that side.

Anyone else feeling a bit sad at seeing these players (who have etched their names into our folklore) gradually drifting away, or is it just me?

Agreed, identical feelings here too. It's one of those situations that leaves you melancholy as you know it has to happen for the good of the club, but it's sad nonetheless as there's nothing in the world that can be done to stop it: keep them and their decline taints the glory days, but let them leave and it definitively signals the end of those glory days.

I have to agree about the connection: aside from Maty as a replacement for Stockdale, I haven't formed nearly as strong a connection with this bunch as I did with the 2016/17 squad. Perhaps with one standout season it may come?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
...at seeing our promotion team being whittled away? Oh sure, it was always going to happen, it needed to happen and I'm excited for the future, but that team was arguably one of the greatest in our history, and I felt a real connection to them which I've struggled to get with our new PL players. In the last few weeks we've lost Kayal, Murray and Duffy, who were all so integral to that side.

Anyone else feeling a bit sad at seeing these players (who have etched their names into our folklore) gradually drifting away, or is it just me?

It was always going to happen but I'll always be grateful to each and every one of the promotion squad. Today feels a little like an end of an era.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Agreed, identical feelings here too. It's one of those situations that leaves you melancholy as you know it has to happen for the good of the club, but it's sad nonetheless as there's nothing in the world that can be done to stop it: keep them and their decline taints the glory days, but let them leave and it definitively signals the end of those glory days.

I have to agree about the connection: aside from Maty as a replacement for Stockdale, I haven't formed nearly as strong a connection with this bunch as I did with the 2016/17 squad. Perhaps with one standout season it may come?

The thing about connections is spot on - but I think there ARE some decent connections to be made (for me, anyway):

Bissouma (his celebration after the 2-1 victory at Selhurst the season before last nailed it for me)
Maty (as you say)
Dunky - one of our own
Maupay (so committed, and his post-match interview after the Arsenal match was a classic)
AJ (obviously such a nice guy - and the emotion he showed after that goal v Chelsea was wonderful to behold)

I'm sure the likes of Webster, Veltman, Lallana, etc will grow into the type of characters we love.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
No, not at all. Football is a faster progressing business than most, especially if you want to survive or maintain any level. Dear old Glenn should have gone at the end of the previous season. Good luck to him, thanks for the goals and looking forward to the replacement.

Jimmy Grimble

Bit gutted I won’t get to hear the lonesome figure in the WSU boo Murray’s name again. Gotta admire his stubbornness.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My six year old boy burst into tears tonight, when I told him Glenn had left... perhaps I phrased it badly... "sometimes when players get older son, well they go somewhere else..." I think in his little heart he thought Glenn had died... Naturally I explained Watford might not quite be heaven...

It made me think how I felt when Kurt Nogan left for Burnley ... I cried then too.

I love this game, transient as it is.

There is a tinge, no question... the team 'we knew' indeed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have a different take on this. I'm pleased Duffy will be joining the club he supports and chasing 10 in a row. I'm pleased for Murray that he might get some game time before he hangs up his boots, ditto Knocky that he's got another shot at the Prem. Players are leaving us with good memories, rather than under a cloud - so much better than when we lost fan favourites Bridcutt and Buckley.

With the likes of Kayal, Mooy, Schelotto also gone the message is clear that the young players will get their chance. With Dunk and now White signing long-term deals the club's development policies have been TOTALLY vindicated.

It also gives me more of an interest in the SPL title and Championship promotion races.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
No, not at all. Football is a faster progressing business than most, especially if you want to survive or maintain any level. Dear old Glenn should have gone at the end of the previous season. Good luck to him, thanks for the goals and looking forward to the replacement.

Exactly this, no room for sentiment in the PL.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
The thing about connections is spot on - but I think there ARE some decent connections to be made (for me, anyway):

Bissouma (his celebration after the 2-1 victory at Selhurst the season before last nailed it for me)
Maty (as you say)
Dunky - one of our own
Maupay (so committed, and his post-match interview after the Arsenal match was a classic)
AJ (obviously such a nice guy - and the emotion he showed after that goal v Chelsea was wonderful to behold)

I'm sure the likes of Webster, Veltman, Lallana, etc will grow into the type of characters we love.

Yeah, Yves and Maupay definitely have potential! Post-lockdown Maupay grew on me massively as an individual - I loved the way he handled himself after the Gendouzi incident against Arsenal. :rock:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here