Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone climbed Scafell/Snowdon or Nevis?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Snowden was my first mountain when I was 14 cannot remember much else.

Have done Ben twice (first time horizontal hail on the way up melted my polos in my pocket and heavy cloud meant seeing anything from the top was impossible.) Second time was a lovely day

view from Ben Nevis

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I did the 3 peaks a few years back and regularly visit the Lakes and Highlands. Scarfell Pike is by far the most interesting but all three are a bit "commercial" as far as mountains go. Every man and his dog climbs then and at peak times it can be like going up a pedestrian super highway. If you do climb Scarfell Pike drop over the top and climb Scarfell right next door. There's a nice scramble up a gyhll to approach the summit and much more of challenge. If your going all the way to Ben Nevis stop short in Glencoe and tackle some of the Munroes in that Glen or the Aonach Eagach Ridge - now that is proper mountain climbing.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Did Ben Nevis quite a few year's ago, walked the West Highland Way during the week before and finished off going up the mountain. Did it in the October and there was thick snow on the top.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Remember that the best way to do is to wear shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops. The only extra thing you need to carry is a large bottle of vodka (or refreshment of your choice). And make sure that the weather is vile at the time.

Mountain rescue teams all recommend it.

:lolol:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Did you wear crampons?

Nope, even when we went in October and there was about 3 inches of snow! The main route up the Ben is a steady climb up. As long as you stay away from the cravasses near the top on your left hand side you'll be fine!

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Walked up Scafell Pike - at the top there's millions of rocks and a view of Sellafield and Wast Water, better walks in the Lakes, e.g. Striding Edge (Helvellyn).

Julia Bradbury went up it on 1st series of her Wainwright Walks for BBC, you can get DVD on eBay or Amazon

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Did Ben Nevis quite a few year's ago, walked the West Highland Way during the week before and finished off going up the mountain. Did it in the October and there was thick snow on the top.

I did exactly the same, a great way to round off a weeks hiking. Sunny at the bottom cloudy and snow on the top, well worth the trek. Took me 8 hours or so up and down.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i walked up Snowdon aged 8 with school trip. hardly a climb. wasnt too impressed to find there was a bloody railway up there, i think some of the girls were allowed to get that back down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here