Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone booked through Booking.com?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Be very careful.

I've had messages purportedly from the hotel I booked my room in Rome asking me to confirm the booking and saying it will be cancelled if I don't. When you click on the link, it does look legit and gives me the correct price I booked it for, the correct date and the correct hotel. It then asks me to confirm my credit card details. It's good but there are a few tell tale signs (dodgy spelling lets it down)

The app is clearly compromised. Badly, from a security perspective all round. Upon investigation, this is not new.

Booking.com scams surge 580% with hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses, ACCC says | Personal finance | The Guardian

Jun 3, 2006
huddersfield
Be very careful.

I've had messages purportedly from the hotel I booked my room in Rome asking me to confirm the booking and saying it will be cancelled if I don't. When you click on the link, it does look legit and gives me the correct price I booked it for, the correct date and the correct hotel. It then asks me to confirm my credit card details. It's good but there are a few tell tale signs (dodgy spelling lets it down)

The app is clearly compromised. Badly, from a security perspective all round. Upon investigation, this is not new.

Booking.com scams surge 580% with hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses, ACCC says | Personal finance | The Guardian
Had exactly the same issue with a recently holiday. Basically never click on a link in an email go via the Booking.Com account. I spoke to the hotel involved and apparently it was them who had been hacked. Booking.Com said they were looking in to it but never heard any more from them.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Be very careful.

when i looked on there i felt unease , particularly with the discount link , "save 10%" or was it 20 ?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
This is a known issue with Booking.com. But the dodgy messages that say ‘urgently give me your credit card details’ are fairly obvious, even if they purport to come from the hotel.

I use this site a lot and find it’s generally pretty good to be honest, despite the obvious glitches. I have never had a single penny taken fraudulently from using it probably >150 times, so I think as long as you are careful it’s still ok to use.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I had that too, with a hotel in Seville. The email is very close to convincing, only when you read and check it carefully do the telltale signs become apparent.

Booking.com were barely bothered when I brought it to their attention.

I think it’s absolutely endemic on there at the moment, and I fear a lot of people will be duped by it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tend to not use them after a terrible incident in Russia during the World Cup. On the off chance I do, I’ll always offer the hotel at check in to cancel my booking and pay them directly 😉

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This is a known issue with Booking.com. But the dodgy messages that say ‘urgently give me your credit card details’ are fairly obvious, even if they purport to come from the hotel.

I use this site a lot and find it’s generally pretty good to be honest, despite the obvious glitches. I have never had a single penny taken fraudulently from using it probably >150 times, so I think as long as you are careful it’s still ok to use.

The fact they have all your booking details including Date, Cost and Name of booker means it's one of the following (a) the app itself is compromised (b) the hotel login details are compromised or (c) They have someone working on the inside. All of those options are extremely poor from a security perspective and it'll be the last time I use them.

I did contact them but haven't had a reply yet - I suspect @bhafc99 is right. It's rife and out of control on there.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The fact they have all your booking details including Date, Cost and Name of booker means it's one of the following (a) the app itself is compromised (b) the hotel login details are compromised or (c) They have someone working on the inside. All of those options are extremely poor from a security perspective and it'll be the last time I use them.

I did contact them but haven't had a reply yet - I suspect @bhafc99 is right. It's rife and out of control on there.
I had it happen to me for one of the previous euro games (think it was Marseille) and mentioned it here: https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/the-scam-thread.378962/post-10839049

It appears that it is the properties themselves are the ones compromised. Think it'll get worse before it gets better given that most of the results on booking.com these days appear to be private lets.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I used them once never again went to Munich football weekend booked room through booking.com when we got there booking was not sent through to hotel correctly luckily I had proof but even then they wanted to charge more as a last minute booking really annoying

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

baz

Jul 7, 2003
I booked flights to Rome Friday on it, or thought I did! After 5 failed attempts and price increases each retry I finally succeeded. Got an on screen all paid, email confirmation will be sent in a day or possibly longer. Rang today after not having had payment taken or email confirmation to find out the reference number I screenshoted was not on their system. Flights lost. I have now booked Monday instead of Thursday as only flights I could get. Speaking to people from India multiple times was really stressful but I am on a flight now, even though I am lighter in the wallet.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Always found them really good, personally.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I had that too, with a hotel in Seville. The email is very close to convincing, only when you read and check it carefully do the telltale signs become apparent.

Booking.com were barely bothered when I brought it to their attention.

I think it’s absolutely endemic on there at the moment, and I fear a lot of people will be duped by it.
Yikes. I'm just booking a hotel in Seville through Bookings.com! Which one?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Never had a problem with them. Can be worthwhile for peace of mind to contact the hotel directly and check they’ve got the reservation.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
I booked flights to Rome Friday on it, or thought I did! After 5 failed attempts and price increases each retry I finally succeeded. Got an on screen all paid, email confirmation will be sent in a day or possibly longer. Rang today after not having had payment taken or email confirmation to find out the reference number I screenshoted was not on their system. Flights lost. I have now booked Monday instead of Thursday as only flights I could get. Speaking to people from India multiple times was really stressful but I am on a flight now, even though I am lighter in the wallet.
Learnt my lesson not to book flights with them

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Sorry about your experience. Hint (ignore if the bleedin' obvious, which it may well be now): book flights directly through the airline and not with third parties. There are so many stories of which I have some personal experience of all sorts of things going wrong with third party bookings and of being much more difficult to deal with when they do. Booking with the airline is nearly always cheaper, too.

Laughing Gull

Oct 18, 2022
I booked accommodation in Brighton through them when I was in the UK last year and this clown texted me asking me if I wanted parking. There was actually no parking at the hotel.

I played along for a while and the idiot got abusive and threatened to have my booking.com account suspended (big deal).

What was concerning is that they got hold of my mobile number from booking.com. I checked online and there have been security breaches for years that have never been addressed.

I won't use them again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here