Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to the Maldives?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks very much for the replies so far.

Thanks BBBW - will check out Paradise Island.
Thanks Rabeen - pm sent.

Would love to know where the rest of you stayed and if you'd recommend that resort.

Been twice and i wouldnt recommend paradise island, even though it is pretty (if you like that sort of thing)

Meeru aka meerufenfushi was much better, and the reason why is that there are two types of island in the maldives. Paradise island is all manicured man made gardens and pathways with a nice hotel and stuning beaches..... But its like any resort hotel in the world, stunning but artificial. People sitting in tiled floored restaurants, it was more formal than meeru the beach is maldivian, the designer hotel and gardens could be from anywhere.

Meeru, same stunning beach, slightly bigger island and the island is left more natural, reception and restaurants have natural sand floors. After you arrive you can lose your shoes for 2 weeks. Beautiful beach villas and water villas set in natural landscape with fruitbats and birds inhabiting the natural vegetation. For those reasons, whilst i enjoed paradise, meeru experience was unbeatable.

Good luck

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I went all inclusive to Velidhu Island for my honeymoon a couple of years back, and my gosh that was a relaxing holiday! Really good snorkeling, great food, and lovely beaches. We watched the sun set from the veranda of our water bungalow every evening :)

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Just got back from Kerudu Island. Amazing. And as most have said fantastic beaches, fresh food and excellent service. The resort had plenty to do. Fishing trips, snorkeling was incredible. Evening entertainment was good plus they had staff v guests volleyball and football games. Loved it all.

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
went a couple of years ago and stayed in a water bungalow at the Hilton Irufushi. Lovely hotel and great snorkelling. Went dolphin watching and saw loads....... great holiday.....have fun

OurPrice

Nov 22, 2012
Meeru, same stunning beach, slightly bigger island and the island is left more natural, reception and restaurants have natural sand floors. After you arrive you can lose your shoes for 2 weeks. Beautiful beach villas and water villas set in natural landscape with fruitbats and birds inhabiting the natural vegetation. For those reasons, whilst i enjoed paradise, meeru experience was unbeatable.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Although there are a lot of islands, they are not all the same, but the price reflects this. Meeru achieved just the right balance for us (but I presume prices will have changed). Very much a 'desert island/idyllic' feel to the place, but with great choice of restaurants, fantastic service, very comfortable and stylish accommodation, ok snorkelling off the beach, great selection of boat trips etc. Having been lucky enough to visit Mauritius also, my clear preference is for the Maldives. I believe the Seychelles is similar, but well expensive... Sri Lanka is next on my list!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I went for my 10th wedding anniversary in 2004, did 3 days tour of Sri Lanka and 7 days Maldives. We were supposed to be staying at Paradise Island in a water bungalow but it was over booked. We were moved to a junior sweet on Kurumba Island and it was fantastic. Large bedroom and lounge with huge wooden patio doors opening out on to the beach, large bathroom with an outside private jacuzzi, absolutely fantastic. We went full board and the food was fantastic, drinks were expensive back then so look at AI. I am not a beach person and 7 days was more than enough, to be honest but it was perfect after 3 x 12 hour days of touring Sri Lanka. I would recommend Sri Lanka followed by Maldives if you can. Kurumba is the oldest established resort in the Maldives and only 10 minutes boat ride from the airport and Mali. We got off the plane at Mali and walked around to where the boats were and was very disappointed to see many tourists all getting on these old boats until we were boarded on our own onto a bloody huge cruiser for our own private trip to the island, fantastic! Only took about 20 minutes to stroll around the whole island!

Enjoy!

Sep 29, 2008
LA on sea
What can i say, went to chayaa haka hurra i think its pronounced an all inc island booked through virgin hols. everything from the seaplane to the food was fan bloody tastic ! yes it might be beach and more beach but diving and snorkelling break it up and dont forget your beach shoes when you walk out and about on the shallow reefs that surround the island , its only waist deep and as warm as your bath . and whilst the mrs cooked herself i could lay on the bed and watch footie through there satelite system. saving to go back again:amex:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I went for my 10th wedding anniversary in 2004, did 3 days tour of Sri Lanka and 7 days Maldives. We were supposed to be staying at Paradise Island in a water bungalow but it was over booked. We were moved to a junior sweet on Kurumba Island and it was fantastic. Large bedroom and lounge with huge wooden patio doors opening out on to the beach, large bathroom with an outside private jacuzzi, absolutely fantastic. We went full board and the food was fantastic, drinks were expensive back then so look at AI. I am not a beach person and 7 days was more than enough, to be honest but it was perfect after 3 x 12 hour days of touring Sri Lanka. I would recommend Sri Lanka followed by Maldives if you can. Kurumba is the oldest established resort in the Maldives and only 10 minutes boat ride from the airport and Mali. We got off the plane at Mali and walked around to where the boats were and was very disappointed to see many tourists all getting on these old boats until we were boarded on our own onto a bloody huge cruiser for our own private trip to the island, fantastic! Only took about 20 minutes to stroll around the whole island!

Enjoy!

Snap! Birdie Boy. A long time ago now, I got married in 1997 in Sri Lanka for a week followed by a week on Kurumba. We were 1 of 2 couples on the boat, they rushed off the boat to be first at reception to get booked in, when it was our turn they said they were fully booked so we were given the owners house on the far side of the island, which was amazing. It was great and an experience that I will always remember....BUT and this is only my opinion.

As nice as it was I would never call the Maldives beautiful, they are what they are great beaches in the middle of a turquoise ocean with stunning accomodation, unique,yes. 7 days was too long, unless you go diving there was not much else to do except sit under a palm tree in the very hot and extremely humid sunshine, and do some snorkeling. I like to do a little more than that on holiday. The food was exceptional. I think you will find that the staff are Hindus shipped in from Sri Lanka as the Maldovian Muslims were not allowed to serve drinks, and they were miserable gits. I dont like to meet up with people all the time on holiday, but a conversation with another couple would have been nice, the evenings were silent. I know it was my honeymoon and it sounds perfect for a honeymoon, but it was just a little too quiet for us. Dont get me wrong, I would highly recommend the Maldives and I think they have changed for the better over the years since I went, but 5 days would have been perfect.
PS I was advised not to nick the bread rolls from breakfast and feed the fish on the coral. Top tip, don't feed the fish on the coral with bread rolls because, as I found out, Moray Eels emerge from the coral and attack you.
I would never visit the Maldives without also visiting Sri Lanka, a fantastic Island. We stayed in a hotel, but also took the 3 day tour stopping off at Kandy, and the tea plantations, elephant orphanage to name a few. Great people, very friendly, beautiful and stunning scenery, great food.
Mix the Maldives with Sri Lanka and you are in with the trip of a lifetime.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
PS I was advised not to nick the bread rolls from breakfast and feed the fish on the coral. Top tip, don't feed the fish on the coral with bread rolls because, as I found out, Moray Eels emerge from the coral and attack you.

More importantly, it fecks up the eco-system.
Bread isn't part of a fish's diet. Too much and it will kill it AND the coral.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

You are correct, that was the original advice, but I could not help myself, all that ocean and 2 little bread rolls, did,nt think it would wipe out the entire fish stocks, stupid and ignorant, i know.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

You are correct, that was the original advice, but I could not help myself, all that ocean and 2 little bread rolls, did,nt think it would wipe out the entire fish stocks, stupid and ignorant, i know.:dunce:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Been twice and i wouldnt recommend paradise island, even though it is pretty (if you like that sort of thing)

Meeru aka meerufenfushi was much better, and the reason why is that there are two types of island in the maldives. Paradise island is all manicured man made gardens and pathways with a nice hotel and stuning beaches..... But its like any resort hotel in the world, stunning but artificial. People sitting in tiled floored restaurants, it was more formal than meeru the beach is maldivian, the designer hotel and gardens could be from anywhere.

Good luck
We stayed at Mirafenfushi, albeit in 1989, so a long time ago.

Quite a big island by Maldives standard. Completley unspoilt in those days.

No news, no shoes was their motto.

In those days it was a four hour boat trip from the airport, nowadays I'm sure it's much quicker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here