Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Gibraltar

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We are only there for a few hours, but we have been told that there are some brilliant Dolphin watch trips off the coast.

Anyone been?

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
I have been to gib 2 or 3 times but sorry dont know about the dolphins, why are you going there? I thought the place was an absolute shit hole, full of tossers and the worst kind of ex pats you could imagine. Plus it was shit loads to go up the rock so we f***ed it off. One other thing if you are crossing from spain the spanish sometimes slow up/close the border if they are pissed off about something and it can take you literally all day to get out.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Yes last year on a cruise. Gib is a bit like Hartlepool on the Med.

If its the last leg of a cruise, stock up on very cheap duty free, I think 1 litre of any spirits is about £6.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes last year on a cruise. Gib is a bit like Hartlepool on the Med.

If its the last leg of a cruise, stock up on very cheap duty free, I think 1 litre of any spirits is about £6.

Yes on a cruise, we stop off on route to the Med. The last leg is on the way back in cadiz

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Went down there for an afternoon when my mate was living in marbella.

Very strange place. We drove up the mountain which was ok, the monkeys didn't take any notice of us. Stopped and had lunch by the harbour which was nice, got some duty free and buggered off. The natives are a bit wierd, they've all got sloped foreheads and talk in an odd mix of northern and spanish. A bit like hastings town centre, but with nice weather

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Now Cadiz on the other hand is ace. If you are only there for a few hours just go into the marks and spencers and stock up on cheap jumpers and pants and socks for the winter :)

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
We are only there for a few hours, but we have been told that there are some brilliant Dolphin watch trips off the coast.

Anyone been?

It really is awful there. 10 years ago and it could've been considered quaint, but now it is similar to Andorra- just milking the duty free aspect. I too heard about the swimming with dolphins, but not sure how many there would be out there. The rock of Gibralter is worth a see if you haven't seen it before, if the prices aren't extortionate..

Welcome to Gibraltar; please adjust your watches by putting them back 20 years.

Not somewhere I'd want to spend much time but definitely different from anywhere else I'd ever been. Go up the cable car and you'll reallise just how strategically important it was before they invented a man with a computer in an office in Washington.

I think Shoreham means Marks & Spencers in Gibraltar, not Cádiz, as far as I know there is no M&S there although I haven't been there for a couple of years. But Cádiz is a fantastic place, the oldest recorded city in Europe. Pity the football team got relegated though :cry:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
they were offering excursions to Seville from Cadiz, but that seems a bit far away and looking at details of Cadiz, it looks like its worth spending a few hours around the City.

the other place we are stopping in Spain ( apart from Barca)is Vigo and that is somewhere else we have never been to ( only heard of Celta Vigo)

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
If it's a nice day, go up the Rock in the cable car for great views of the town and Africa.
Watch out for the apes, they're bad boys.
You can also walk along the tunnels in the Rock if the weather turns bad.

brightonbeautiful

Jul 26, 2004
Burgess Hill
Went there Mid May for the day and wished we hadn't bothered - the cable car was OK costs 9 euros each - but the border check took ages to get in and out of the place and it is just full of British shops and Duty free places - don't bother.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
they were offering excursions to Seville from Cadiz, but that seems a bit far away and looking at details of Cadiz, it looks like its worth spending a few hours around the City.

the other place we are stopping in Spain ( apart from Barca)is Vigo and that is somewhere else we have never been to ( only heard of Celta Vigo)

Vigo- Great seafood, and not too expensive (give or take currency fluctuations). Recommend the oysters / clams if you're into that. Nice enough city, always seems to be gray weather when I visit though!

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Went there Mid May for the day and wished we hadn't bothered - the cable car was OK costs 9 euros each - but the border check took ages to get in and out of the place and it is just full of British shops and Duty free places - don't bother.

He hasn't got a choice of visiting- it's a cruise lol.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley

Vigo - haven't been there but seen a lot of its region, Galicia, which must be the most scenic of the Spanish regions - very green, lots of forests, sandy beaches, mountains. Can be wet, but that's mainly in the winter, hopefully you'll be OK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here