Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Fiji?

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
What is Kava like taste wise? (Assuming you tried it) - I have to do a welcome ceremony into the village and have to try some not sure what to expect!

As said above, it is a root that is washed, crushed in a towel and strained into a bowl, 3 claps, some words and down the hatch, is a numbing agent, and a slight stoned buzz about it, very cultural (native islanders wise) super friendly people and good basic food in the villages.

One thing, as soon as you land, you will feel like you have landed in India. Due to the nature of our British taking over the world back in the day, we took a ton of Indians there as slaves and then left when Independence occurred back in the 60's I think. Long and the short of it is, the Indian population has grown dramatically and nearly all of the business in and around the capital city and airport are Indian owned and operated.

Most of the local Fijians have migrated to the coastal areas where the Indian population has no interest to be. My advice is to land, and then get out to the coastline, which really is what Fiji is about. Notable places to visit would be the Momi Bay area and the world war 2 gun installations...the only guns ever permitted on the Islands, and then boat trips out to some of the desolate islands.

I was there in 1992 for 3 months and was fortunate to camp and surf on Namotu Island which is behind Tavarua, the more popular surf destination, we had to carry all food and water for a week at a time, and was one of the most memorable trips ever.

Have a good one, and Ni Sa bull Vinika, or Bula for short, means continued good health and happiness, and is used as the common greeting everywhere.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Stayed at Mana Island resort nearly 30 years ago and it was idyllic (as long as you're in to beach holidays)

Jesus...!!! i was at a wedding there almost 30 yrs ago to the day....top spot beautifully augmented by the ridiculous prices during happy hour ......probably some of the best snorkelling i have done , the Fijian National Museum is a real eye opener (Nadi).....head shrinking , canibalism......etc. etc. great thing about Kava is you don't realise you're wrecked until you try to move and they don't even give the strong stuff to the tourists.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
What is Kava like taste wise? (Assuming you tried it) - I have to do a welcome ceremony into the village and have to try some not sure what to expect!
Dirty dishwater..... simple as that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here