Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Bulgaria?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went to Bulgaria 2006 for a holiday but at the opposite end of the country to Sofia. It was the cheapest place I have ever been to for food and drink. Beer (lager type) was about 30p a pint, cocktails in a 5 star hotel were less than £1.00 and a meal of 1/2 Chicken & Chips and a pint was less than £3.00. Bus fares were about 20p return. 7 days full board was £155.00

It may be dearer now because they have joined the EU and everything goes up when a country does that .

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
Went to Bulgaria 2006 for a holiday but at the opposite end of the country to Sofia. It was the cheapest place I have ever been to for food and drink. Beer (lager type) was about 30p a pint, cocktails in a 5 star hotel were less than £1.00 and a meal of 1/2 Chicken & Chips and a pint was less than £3.00. Bus fares were about 20p return. 7 days full board was £155.00

It may be dearer now because they have joined the EU and everything goes up when a country does that .

Same as, went to Sunny Beach in 2005 and defo cheap as chips. Outside the resort area the country is very very basic, 3rd world standards and the food was a bit ropey.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I had a great uncle who went there, he spent two weeks walking around picking up litter...when I asked him what he made of the place he just said "tidy"...

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Went there in the communist era. Not exactly wonderful. All week there were only two drinks on offer: apple juice or a rough apricot brandy. Money exchange was done with the waiter behind a pillar in the restaurant - got 7 times the official rate though.

I suspect this is completely irrelevant to your impending trip.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I had a great uncle who went there, he spent two weeks walking around picking up litter...when I asked him what he made of the place he just said "tidy"...

He's my hero.

82227129_f9aa7db615.jpg

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Just thinking that if he hadn't then it might suggest that Bulgaria is really good!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
That's funny Cecil, but I am going to Bulgaria shortly too. When are you off?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I travelled round Bulgaria quite a bit a few years ago, dont remember too many details about Sofia wasnt there for too long

The main struggle was language. Not many people spoke English back then (fair enough). Communicating was difficult cos Bulgarian is quite tricky, a few words though would be very helpful for you to learn. I didnt even know that they use the Cyrillic alphabet so my maps were utterly useless, was completely lost when we got off the plane

Bulgarians who knew a bit of english were very keen to help you if they could, the people were friendly. Are you just staying in Sofia?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
oh the beer zagorka I remember being ok. And as said it is extremely cheap for beer/food/transport.

If you are getting the bus from the airpot into town, they (used to) charge for your bag as well! Thats right you have to buy a ticket for your bag as if it was another person or they (may) fine you. You need to get your ticket before getting on. I tried to argue the toss but it was actually the rules I later learned

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield
I travelled round Bulgaria quite a bit a few years ago, dont remember too many details about Sofia wasnt there for too long

The main struggle was language. Not many people spoke English back then (fair enough). Communicating was difficult cos Bulgarian is quite tricky, a few words though would be very helpful for you to learn. I didnt even know that they use the Cyrillic alphabet so my maps were utterly useless, was completely lost when we got off the plane

Bulgarians who knew a bit of english were very keen to help you if they could, the people were friendly. Are you just staying in Sofia?

Yeah for 3 nights.

Simmo we fly out Friday morning..........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here