Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Anyone been to Athens?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Going to Athens Monday for a few days.
Planning on a couple of days in the city then going to a nearby beach resorts for a few days.
Has anyone been? Any tips? Especially in what resorts will still be mainly open.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Went to Athens about 12years ago.
A man in the street took me aside and asked:
"Are you on holiday?"
"Er, yes."
"Get out of here, go to the islands, they're much nicer."
"I'm only here for a couple of days, but thanks."
Seem to remember the acropolis museum was worth a visit, although in late July a decent part of the appeal was the air conditioning.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I once took a group as a tour guide around the acropolis in Athens……. I wasn’t actually a paid guide but studied the Parthenon etc intensively and knew what the piles of rocks were……I was showing my poor wife round and people were following us..

the museum and temple of Zeus are fascinating…..get a cab to Piraeus harbour too!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
acropolis museum is very modern, nice and a good day out. if you want some market sort of stuff the check out la plaka, near monstiraki.

tbh I found the beaches quite overcrowded and unclean when I went (this was in the middle of August, however) so didn't visit much

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I once took a group as a tour guide around the acropolis in Athens……. I wasn’t actually a paid guide but studied the Parthenon etc intensively and knew what the piles of rocks were……I was showing my poor wife round and people were following us..

the museum and temple of Zeus are fascinating…..get a cab to Piraeus harbour too!
The tube is the best way to Piraeus, and cheaper than a taxi. A ferry out to Aegina is a short trip but worth it.

Definitely visit Acropolis and Agora. Lycabettus Hill which is higher than the Acropolis. You can walk up or take the funicular railway, or vice versa.

To stay by the sea, I recommend Glyfada, and you can still get into the centre of Athens bu tram. The temp on Monday should be a high of 25 and low of 14.

Public transport is relatively cheap. I even recommend getting the tube from the airport but watch out for pickpockets.
The restaurants in the centre, like any capital city are pricy, but look carefully and you’ll find some great places just a street or two away.
Monasteraki market is worth a visit ( and a tube station) especially for leather sandals.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I was there 25 years ago and shat in a hole in the floor for the first time in my life. Wasn't great.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Only once. Thought all their posters were a bit shit really, and was never much into Tennis anyway.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I went for a day trip to watch the Olympics, 3a.m. flight from Luton, return flight at 1 a.m., watched afternoon and evening sessions in the stadium, slept for 14 hours when I finally got home...sorry, can't help you at all 🤷‍♂️

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
There are nice places and not so nice places. The sights are worth seeing including the Acropolis and the Olympic arena. Try to see the old town side of it as its different to Athens itself

Enjoy

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What do expect in a Greek prison :lol: Seriously I lived there for a few years and can confirm we had a toilet like the rest of the Modern world.
I was about 7 at the time and at the place we went to the bathroom (we only stayed in Athens for about 24h before going to Naxos), there was a hole in the floor, third world style. From what I remember my mum saying, we probably had a bit of bad luck - pretty sure, like you say, that most of town was modern enough to have proper toilets.

Still was a slightly traumatising experience.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Had a great time there last year. Obviously the Acropolis is a must do and the changing of the guard at the presidential palace is fun to watch. We had a few days on the east coast at Vavrona - the weather wasn’t great but that stretch of coast is interesting and worth a visit ( there’s a few archeological sites if you’re into that sort of thing) including Marathon - which was named after a chocolate bar.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Panathenaic Stadium - first marble stadium in the world, hundreds of years old. You can walk around it for views and there’s a museum next door.

Inexarchia - http://www.inexarchia.gr - bit like the North Laine, street art/cafes/parks/creativity

Lycabettus Hill - big old walk up to the top of a hill overlooking the place, can have a drink at the top

Stabros Niarchos centre - https://www.snfcc.org - shiny cultural centre in a massive park, home of the national opera and library, always stuff going on.

Olympiacos are at home if you are staying until Sunday. It’s good but beware that they sell 150 types of juice and snack inside but no beer.

Have an excellent time and safe journeys

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here