Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone been to any big scottish games

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Wick Vs Thurso was a real treat to behold.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
looking like celtic v dundee,awaiting tickets togo on general sell,£110 flight from gatwick

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
having been to most grounds now,im going to fly up and watch celtic (mark of the list)in a few weeks,any advice would be great if any of the scottish bha read this,looking at flying up and back same day

Why go and see that lot. Like going to a farm on a Saturday afternoon. Go and watch St Mirren or Partick Thistle or Rangers (vs Pubteam Academicals). Fly to Glasgow,Edinburgh or Prestwick (cheapest). Train from Prestwick to Glasgow is 1/2 price when you show your plane ticket and sis about 1/2hr through the Ayrshire countryside. Get off at Central Station and have a few pints on the Horseshoe Bar. About 1/2hr walk to Firhill to see Thistle or 10 mins by bus. St Mirren play in Paisley about 10 mins by train from Glasgow (on the Prestwick line). Dont waste your time watching the Great Unwashed at Parkhead, waste of time and money.

Enjoy

TNBA

TTF

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Celtic Park is a fantastic stadium to watch football in. Doesn't have the comforts of the Amex but has the atmosphere to die for. Old Firm games are something else but alas Rangers are no more so it will be a while before they lock horns again. As others have said Parkhead is a bit of a dive but has improved massively since the Commonwealth games were awarded and there has been a lot of regeneration around the stadium. Pointless getting a taxi there or back as traffic is always a nightmare so walk for a about 20 minutes to the Gallowgate area and you should be able to pick up a bus to take you back into the town centre. As ATFC said the Toll Booth is an excellent pub and there are plenty around there you can safely drink it. I have watched many a Celtic game and never had any bother before during or after the game.

Try and get to see Celtic play the likes of Aberdeen or Hearts as they tend to bring a decent away following, whereas even the likes of Motherwell who are only twenty minutes away would struggle to bring 500 odd.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Well I can probably trump just about anyone else on this thread having been a bluenose (Rangers fan) in my early days but had the sheer joy of watching Celtic for business reasons.

I worked for a bank who looked after Celtic's accounts and in those days, after locking up the bank lunchtime on (alternate) Saturdays, headed towards the East End and specifically the Chrystal Bell (near Glasgow Cross) where one could partake of an excellent beer (and an excellent pie) prior to mosying along to the 'barras' ( barrows that is - a street market where you can buy literally anything including a decent array of antiques etc)

Celtic's hospitality was impressive one way and the other so, perhaps not too strangely, I have retained a strong affiliation to both Rangers and Celtic.

I have attended matches including Scotland / England at Hampden which, I seem to remember on one particular occasion, had an attendance of I think 115,000 ( it was the year after Frank Haffey and England's 9-3 triumph at Wembley (early/mid 60s) and was frightening as one was swept along without feet ever touching the ground, such was the pressure.

Great atmosphere at big games in Glasgow in those days but Rangers will be back and that particular rivalry will be resumed.

Two great clubs who, with the same benefits of the Premier League, would be in contention.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The only place i've ever been where the off licence was caged off ,you had to order your beer through a hatch,followed by a 2mile walk through some of the roughest housing schemes in Britain.

Really? There was one of those on st james Street until recently, and york place I think.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I went to an Old Firm game at Ibrox a couple of years ago as guest of one of my clients. Extraordinary atmosphere and not one I relished to be honest. The hatred was unbelievable. Makes us vs Palace look like a nursery school spat.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
having been to most grounds now,im going to fly up and watch celtic (mark of the list)in a few weeks,any advice would be great if any of the scottish bha read this,looking at flying up and back same day

Been to ibrox rangers seville champions league most scary bus journey i ve ever been on.but that aside great atmosphere.highly recomend it.WE ARE THE PEOPLE!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I haven't been to an Old Firm but, rather annoyingly, Mrs Gwylan has. I rather envy her that one

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I went to a Hibs Celtic game when up ther eon a stag do, The main memories I have was the Celtic end being packed and the rest of the stadium half empty and the Hibs fans around us shouting abuse through most of the game, not just the usual chants but true agression in the voices and proper hate. Amusing to watch.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here