Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Antigua?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep, going back at Easter as part of the cruise.

We wandered into the old cricket ground, and some old bloke wandered up, beckoned us on to the ground and gave us an hour long tour of the ground, changing rooms office etc. turns out he was the old scorer and had been for 60 years....mrs dtg was bored, but I loved it.

Interestingly he said that his all time favourite player was John snow!

Lovely island.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I spent 2.5 weeks in Antigua with 8 mates for the 2007 cricket World Cup. We stayed in a villa in Seatons which is north east part of the island. We hired a couple of jeeps and just explored the whole island. It is safe ad there are no 'no go' areas. My favourite beaches were pineapple beach and half moon bay. They are the other end of the island to the majority of the resorts so pretty quiet.

As other have said the Shirley heights Sunday night is great.

The area around jolly harbour is good but it can be quite pricey as it is a tourist trap.

Do go to nelson's dockyard. It is interesting. There is a fantastic restaurant down there but the name escapes me. When we were there roman abramovich's boat was there and that was incredible.

As others have said all of the beaches are public so just explore the island. The thought of going to Antigua and just staying in the resort would be such a waste. You may never get to play beach cricket in the surf against te local kids again. Fielding in the sea is not a chore like in England!

The jolly harbour golf course is okay but you can negotiate on cost.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
where are you staying?

Staying at Sandals in Dickenson Bay. Really looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone for their replies - I've got some good trips to organise now. We're definitely planning on doing the Shirley Heights party, island circumnavigation and helicopter trip over the Montserrat.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Richie Richardson has one of the best bars on the island, brilliant parties, Lashings I think it is called. You should be safe enough but do not take it for granted. White girls behaving like they sometimes do on Europe can attract unwanted attention. Overall a great destination just keep aware that it ain't quite as safe as some may think.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yep fantastic place to go stayed at the Jolly beach .. you must go to Nelsons Dock and visit the sugar plantations and shirley heights.. great history ... when we were there they were hosting the west indies 1-day games and all the players were staying at our hotel.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
I've been three times, but twice in the last three years - stayed at St James' club on both occasions, but Sandals is supposed to be excellent.

We hired a car and drove around the island which was awesome stopping at a few beaches - our personal Fav was DarkmWood Beach but there are, as others have said 365 to choose from.

100% recommend the helicopter trip - we did the island tour and didn't go to Montserrat (which leaves a great reason to go back). The tour was magnificent and a breathtaking - you've made a great choice.

Congratulations and enjoy every second, I'm only very slightly jealous!

Best Carribean island I have been to so far......

Went in 2003, stayed in same hotel, same time as WI cricket team before World Cup, everybody friendly, no hassle anywhere even when venturing out without guides etc., have a night at Lashings (assuming it is still there) and play cricket on the beach, visit Montserrat (couldnt do this as it was still erupting), watch the fat bumbling Yanks trying to get off the cruise liners at St Johns,best beaches, get a beer in a shack that happens to be someones home, jerk chicken likewise.

Cracking place but wouldnt go back as it may not live upto the experience we had again. Go do and enjoy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here