Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Agia Pelagia in Crete or Oia, Santorini?

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Papa; best advice really would be to hire a car or bikes and get out and explore the interior of the island.

Some spectacular mountain passes and valleys which in the summer smell of all the wild herbs that grow by the roadside.

As far as excursions Rhethymnon is worth a trip - medieval walled city with great wandering potential, and of course the Knossos towards Heraklion etc is worth a trip.

We are off to Rhethymnon in a few weeks and have hired a couple of mountain bikes for me and my lad (can't be arsed lazing by the pool for 10 days)!

Any advice on where to explore? Happy to cycle 30 miles a day or a bit more!!

Thanks

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
We are off to Rhethymnon in a few weeks and have hired a couple of mountain bikes for me and my lad (can't be arsed lazing by the pool for 10 days)!

Any advice on where to explore? Happy to cycle 30 miles a day or a bit more!!

Thanks

You can hit up some of the best beaches on that particular part of the coast very easily on the bikes from there. Nothing particularly picturesque just wide sand and calm shallow blue seas.

If you can make it as far as Giorgopouli (sp) to the west then do as you'll be rewarded by a nice beach and town nestling near the mouth of a picturesque river.

Also, slightly inland theres a large freshwater lake, the name escapes me unfortunately.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Santorini.................flying in or sailing in? Hell of a drive up from the port, you take your life in hand and pray. Beautiful place. Naxos in the Aegean is the biz.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
what a light weight , nothing wrong in drinking the RAKI it's the local medicine and is pure with no chemicals, WHAT A TIMOTHY CORBETT YOU ARE :tosser:

No its not, its orrible. You simply have no taste, i have yet to meet anyone that said you must try raki its delicious, Metaxa five star is ok though. Local cretan wine is awful, retsina is like sucking the bark of a pine tree.
Not a clue who Timothy Corbett is and not everyone on here with a different opinion to you is a tosser, grow up.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Totally agree, have to be a bit careful saying we like mykonos though, being brighton fans. I mistakenly went to super paradise beach, jesus, had to wait an hour for the next boat, that was a very long hour.
Saw Andy Townsend on Paradise Beach a few years back.........:)

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
No its not, its orrible. You simply have no taste, i have yet to meet anyone that said you must try raki its delicious, Metaxa five star is ok though. Local cretan wine is awful, retsina is like sucking the bark of a pine tree.
Not a clue who Timothy Corbett is and not everyone on here with a different opinion to you is a tosser, grow up.
Bit of over-generalisation there. Some Cretan wines are actually pretty good - eg those from Sitia, both red and white. Retsina is only ever a minority tipple for the locals these days, but too many taverna house wines can indeed tend to the toxic. As for 'raki', that's a disliked Turkish word. But ask for what the Cretans call it - 'tsikoudia' - and it's smiles all round. Locally made tsikoudia is lovely, powerful for sure, but very pure too. Many families have their own still, and you can buy it in the local minimarkets for around 6 Euro a litre! Not for nothing do they wish you 'oneira glyka' - sweet dreams - when you buy it!

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
After that, you might need the antidote of Paros. Beautiful mountain scenery, surprisingly green, with an atmospheric capital, Parikia, some lovely villages, like Lefkes and Piso Livadi, and an attractive and fashionable town in the north, Naousa. Stylish and fun.

Will definitely be going to Paros after Santorini, it's where my parents live, been there many times, a beautiful, beautiful island. Antiparos is fantastic too

Jan 30, 2008
you sound a bit of a snob if you ask me , i'll stick to my guns about you :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Going to Crete back end of July, flying into the very quiet and civilised airport of Chania. Staying at Almyrida, whose main and just about only hotel offers Greek Evening buffet for 19 Euros or the same deal with unlimited wine for 22 Euros. Hmmm, tricky one... :lol:
TIGHT FISTED AND PREDICTABLE, GET ON THE RAKI :drunk:
regards
DR

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can I ask a favour of anyone going to santorini.

Can you get me a Santorini 2014 calendar please....small or large..just one to go on the wall....we have had one for the last 5 years but missed out this year

Thanks in anticipation

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
You can hit up some of the best beaches on that particular part of the coast very easily on the bikes from there. Nothing particularly picturesque just wide sand and calm shallow blue seas.

If you can make it as far as Giorgopouli (sp) to the west then do as you'll be rewarded by a nice beach and town nestling near the mouth of a picturesque river.

Also, slightly inland theres a large freshwater lake, the name escapes me unfortunately.

Lake Kournas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here