Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody still worried?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
With 25 goals scored this season ( - the Norwich 5) we'd be above average in Champ. 11th out of 24.
1.25 goals per game.

11th,ok but what with our away goal record we would be looking shorter......overall maybe a tad light.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I wonder if those wanting another striker read the thread regarding Albion losing £25m last season. I guess they're the same ones that moaned about the loss of free tea/coffee in the 1901 club. And probably moan about teams cheating FFP too.

Just saying.

I think you are missing the point.

Our losses are precisely why we will need to strengthen. It is inordinately difficult to get out of this division due to the financial divide between clubs with and without parachutes, and it's getting worse.

Last year both Hull and Burnley went straight back up. Boro I imagine had far greater losses than us and no doubt exceeded the 13M (39/3) rolling loss.

This year Newcastle are dead certs to bounce back, and i'm almost certain one of Villa/Norwich will at least reach the PL final and probably win it if not for Derby, who themselves incur huge losses. That's assuming we maintain our own form. I think this trend of the same clubs bouncing between these divisions will be consistent for the next few years unless something drastic changes.

There's a couple of things you need to factor in:

- As much as it pains me to say, if we do not go up this year then we will be cashing in on a couple of our players which will offset a substantial amount of this year's losses.
- If we do go up, it doesn't matter because it's effectively winning the lottery and secures us financially for at least 5 years.
- TB WANTS promotion, it is not so much the fans pressuring as it is a personal goal for himself to get the club there and stay there. It is for this reason we can, as fans, expect that we will spend more money in January.

In my opinion it's more of a financial risk not to strengthen the one and only position that we are short on, than it is for TB to say "nah, we'll be ok based on current form and fingers crossed for no injuries up front". I take your point about nothing being guaranteed regarding transfers, but there are a few players that I think would almost certainly make the difference in a few points for the latter half of the campaign.

I'll avoid the cliche of "WE HAVE TO GO UP THIS YEAR" as I think it's bollocks, but it IS certainly a good year to go up for a number of reasons as we will find it increasingly difficult to do so in the years to come.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Take the five we scored away from the Norwich game and we are average goalscorers at best...

But is the correct answer.....thread closed? :lolol:

But you could do that for most of the teams in the division, for instance, take away Fulham's 5 goals against Reading and Huddersfield, and their 4 against Wolves and they look even more average at best.

or

Take away Newcastle's 6 against QPR, 4 against Reading and Birmingham... see, it's easy isn't it?

What's better, score consistantly "average" or have the odd big wins? Which proves you are a better team?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I wonder if those wanting another striker read the thread regarding Albion losing £25m last season. I guess they're the same ones that moaned about the loss of free tea/coffee in the 1901 club. And probably moan about teams cheating FFP too.

Just saying.

Yes,speculate to accumulate,that £25m can be turned into a very small profit,were we to go up........even if we were to spend £71.6m next season-**£71.6m,our loss over the past 5 seasons.

**sauce? i introduce-some would say the very saucy-@El-Presidente http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?345906-The-NSC-review-of-Albion-accounts-2015-16

We are extremely light numbers wise in attack and at some stage,this season imo is the time to take a leap of faith and finally attract that all important striker,if nothing else we need to buy somebody,to cover Baldock,his general play and points winning goals.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
But you could do that for most of the teams in the division, for instance, take away Fulham's 5 goals against Reading and Huddersfield, and their 4 against Wolves and they look even more average at best.

or

Take away Newcastle's 6 against QPR, 4 against Reading and Birmingham... see, it's easy isn't it?

What's better, score consistantly "average" or have the odd big wins? Which proves you are a better team?

I have always loved when we have strikers scoring especially pairs,although i prefer over the season the goals more spread out-but so far i think only a couple have come from midfield or defence,too short maybe......a long part of the season to go i know..

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think you are missing the point.

Our losses are precisely why we will need to strengthen. It is inordinately difficult to get out of this division due to the financial divide between clubs with and without parachutes, and it's getting worse.

Last year both Hull and Burnley went straight back up. Boro I imagine had far greater losses than us and no doubt exceeded the 13M (39/3) rolling loss.

This year Newcastle are dead certs to bounce back, and i'm almost certain one of Villa/Norwich will at least reach the PL final and probably win it if not for Derby, who themselves incur huge losses. That's assuming we maintain our own form. I think this trend of the same clubs bouncing between these divisions will be consistent for the next few years unless something drastic changes.

There's a couple of things you need to factor in:

- As much as it pains me to say, if we do not go up this year then we will be cashing in on a couple of our players which will offset a substantial amount of this year's losses.
- If we do go up, it doesn't matter because it's effectively winning the lottery and secures us financially for at least 5 years.
- TB WANTS promotion, it is not so much the fans pressuring as it is a personal goal for himself to get the club there and stay there. It is for this reason we can, as fans, expect that we will spend more money in January.

In my opinion it's more of a financial risk not to strengthen the one and only position that we are short on, than it is for TB to say "nah, we'll be ok based on current form and fingers crossed for no injuries up front". I take your point about nothing being guaranteed regarding transfers, but there are a few players that I think would almost certainly make the difference in a few points for the latter half of the campaign.

I'll avoid the cliche of "WE HAVE TO GO UP THIS YEAR" as I think it's bollocks, but it IS certainly a good year to go up for a number of reasons as we will find it increasingly difficult to do so in the years to come.

The rolling 13 million (39 over 3 seasons) is from this season. Last season was a one off 13 million allowed loss

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
With 25 goals scored this season ( - the Norwich 5) we'd be above average in Champ. 11th out of 24.
1.25 goals per game.

No we wouldn't, we would be sixth highest scorers, if you applied the same process to all other teams and took away their highest individual score.

3 of the 5 teams who have scored more than us have also let in more than 30 goals in their 20 games, compared to our 11.

I think this is still leading to the ideal that if you don't concede you won't get beaten, score the odd goal here and there and you will win! You don't need to be involved in high scoring games every week to be a good side or one that can get promotion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nonsense! We'll walk League One next season.
I like the cut of your jib, but the way this season is panning out I wouldn't be at all surprised if we did a Pompey.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Personally I don't think it's anything to do with our inability in front of goal. The end of last season we were a team chasing down the top 2. We knew we had a massive goal difference to make up and tried our best to do this but fell just short. We rarely are chasing anything right now as we are in the top 2, healthy goal difference and generally dictate most games. Take Leeds once in front it would of been nice to get the 2nd goal earlier but we were never under any real pressure. We stayed in 2nd gear and bided our time. The only game we really went through the gears was Norwich and that was laying down a marker to a promotion rival who has capitulated pretty much ever since

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We need about 30 points or thereabouts from the remaining 26 games to get in the play offs.

We're about 1-2 wins away from avoiding relegation.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What a stupid idea to take out the best result.

Let's just take out all our good results, and count our disappointing results twice so as to fit a Gloom and Doom agenda :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here