Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody savvy with Royal Mail charges?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
In the US they have a sales tax which is added on and will vary from state to state.

ah, that would be the local state sales tax, works out to 2.6%. it is confusing first time, and i've heard alot of internet merchants wont sell to foreign addresses, so they dont have to deal with the irrate customers who get a bargin, only to find the price works out more than local once the duty, tax, postage and fees are all paid. it kinda the point of the free trade of the EU, where all this stuff disappears.

Ah you see, you learn something new every day! I didn't realise, but I've never come across this before. I've bought a lot from the US over the last few years, a lot less last year so if things have changed in the last 12 month at all then that would be why I haven't noticed. Either way, seems fair enough so I'll go collect my stuff on monday and pay the fee.

Lucky it's only £8, they charge more (£14 I think) if it was sent by express post. They can't withhold the package until you pay the fees, there's a specific postal act clause that this is in contravention of (in the same act that gives them the right to levy the charge it specifies they can't actually hold onto the package awaiting payment). Google the subject for advice, which in general is that you need to quote the postal act when you pick it up and only pay the customs stuff not the £8. They'll argue but as long as you quote from the postal act they'll cave in and send you a bill for the £8 later (to chuck in the bin). Apparently. I just pay it myself.

Thanks for the heads up, I know plenty of people would try that kind of thing but personally, I just think it's easier to pay the fee and be wary in future. I doubt I'll be using Redbubble again, unless the quality of the shirts I bought is THAT good... The content is, but the quality remains to be seen!

You can quote as many postal acts as you like, you won't get the package until you've paid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here