Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody from Whitehawk? (near Sheepscote)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Anybody from Whitehawk? (near Sheepcote)

It is such an awkward place to get to, by whatever means, that I do not remember going there. I probably have.

Anyrate, the questions what is the prevailing economy of the area like? Is there a jobs shortage? Does the local economy need a pick-up?

I am trying to get to the bottom of what Collyer was saying about the lack of a need for more jobs in the Falmer area etc (implied by the remarks). I expect he is right. Falmer is already overloaded with jobs, and it would make sense to put jobs in places where they are needed.

Not that I think for one moment that Sheepcote is the best place for a stadium. I just cannot think of any easy way to get there. The only way to avoid a six to eight mile traffic jam by car or bus is to go via Falmer down the Woodingdean road. There are no trains. Even too many bloody hills for a bicycle.

The latest I have heard that they were planning even more houses in the "deans" area of Brighton, so if there is a jobs shortage, this will further exacerbate it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I moved away from Sheepcote, the methane is horrendous. I lit a fag there once and it burned my face off.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Want to know what the local prevailing view in Whitehawk would be about a stadium at Sheepcote?

I do not know. I doubt very much if they are stuck-up old farts who would moan like the Falmer or Preston Park lot (or rather a minority of Falmerites).

My feeling would be that could not care less either way. They would probably point out that the roads are so naff that is a darn rotten place to put a stadium.

When I read Collyer's remarks' I thought of the same dismay as when Belootti announced we were going to Gillingham.

He seemed to have completely overlooked that a stadium has to be in a place where people can get to. That is what transport policy is all about.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I passed by this area yesterday. It's Wilson Avenue isn't it?

From what I could tell, transport would be an absolute nightmare.

Not enough roads. No rail links.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The shit roads are obvious. Anybody actually live there though, who can indicate what the locals think about the idea?

I have known people live there. They were so preoccupied about the idea of getting out and living somewhere else they could not
care less what happened.

It's bad enough when a few dozen of us play football up there on Wednesday evenings on the Astroturf, the idea of putting a 22,000-seater stadium is just laughable. The A259 is buggered as it is, so as Perseus says, most people will have to drive over the Woodingdean Road from Falmer anyway.

As for the local residents, I'm sure they wouldn't give a shit either way to be honest. And it is funny to think of poor away fans wandering blindly into the depths of Whitehawk after a game. Never to be seen again. :lolol:

perseus said:
I am trying to get to the bottom of what Collyer was saying about the lack of a need for more jobs in the Falmer area etc (implied by the remarks). I expect he is right. Falmer is already overloaded with jobs, and it would make sense to put jobs in places where they are needed.
Falmer is overloaded with Senior Lecturers in Experimental Psychology. I think the Football Club are more attuned to the real-world job requirements that SEEDA think should be created in the ward where the stadium will go. Collyer doesn't seem to grasp this. The trouble is ... planning inspectors know bugger all about economic development.

The questions for me are:- Why does economic development have to jump through hoops that planners create? Why don't the planners have to fall in behind social, economic and community development priorities?

For the answers ... check out the Government's Green Paper on reforming the planning system and wave goodbye to dinosaurs like Collyer.

Last edited:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Re: Re: Anybody from Whitehawk? (near Sheepscote)

Lord Bracknell said:
Falmer is overloaded with Senior Lecturers in Experimental Psychology.

no it isn't.

and what is wrong with them anyway?

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Anybody from Whitehawk? (near Sheepscote)

the full harris said:
no it isn't.

and what is wrong with them anyway?

just realised, you are not saying there is anything 'wrong' with them, just that a senior lecturer in experimental psychology is unlikely to find employment in the development of or running of a community football stadium.

once again, i show myself to be a complete and utter :dunce:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bristol City had a psychologist. He is probably looking for a job now!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
perseus said:
Anybody from Whitehawk? (near Sheepcote)

It is such an awkward place to get to, by whatever means, that I do not remember going there. I probably have.

Anyrate, the questions what is the prevailing economy of the area like? Is there a jobs shortage? Does the local economy need a pick-up?

Falmer might not have a jobs shortage but Moulsecoomb, only about 800m away from the stadium, certainly does.

If Collyer did say that (and I haven't read the full report) then it just shows how out of touch he is with the economic realities of that area of Brighton. Falmer is exactly the sort of area where jobs are needed.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Traffic will be a big problem, the lack of rail links will mean more people will use a car to go to matches. Furthermore, all bus services go through the city centre which would add to the congestion, consequently, those wishing to make a quick getaway at 5.00 will probably go via Warren Road and Falmer Road to get to the A27.

Luton Seagull

Jul 27, 2004
by the sea
The station at Kemp Town is now underneath the Bingo hall in Eastern Road. The tunnel through to Lewes Road goes right under my house. If we compulsorily purchase Elm Grove school field and knock down the Lewes Road Sainsbury's, we can reopen the station. We could then run a multi billion pound maglev monorail powered by methane supplies from Sheepcote Tip all the way through to replica of the Nou Camp buit at Pende! Simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here