Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody a mountaineering expert or astronaut?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I have no knowledge of either mountain climbing or space exploration so my point is purely guesswork, but surely it is not easy to carry lots of oxygen up a mountain as it would weigh a lot.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have no knowledge of either mountain climbing or space exploration so my point is purely guesswork, but surely it is not easy to carry lots of oxygen up a mountain as it would weigh a lot.

That's why the lazy mountaineers get the Sherpas to carry it most of the way!

Those who have climbed with supplementary oxygen have often noted in their accounts that the equipment was heavy and unreliable (particularly in the early years of it's use). Subsequent climbers who have gone without have basically said that carrying it used up far more energy than going without, and therefore makes you slower. They mostly chose to go without supplementary oxygen in order to give themselves a better chance of summiting quickly and getting back down before the effects really kicked in. Messner, on the other hand, just thinks that all other mountaineers are "girls" if they need "assistance" such as supplementary oxygen. It's one of those "ethical" debates that just comes down to personal decisions in the end. Unless you are setting the bar for others to follow, the only person you need to justify it to is yourself.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
That's why the lazy mountaineers get the Sherpas to carry it most of the way!

Those who have climbed with supplementary oxygen have often noted in their accounts that the equipment was heavy and unreliable (particularly in the early years of it's use). Subsequent climbers who have gone without have basically said that carrying it used up far more energy than going without, and therefore makes you slower. They mostly chose to go without supplementary oxygen in order to give themselves a better chance of summiting quickly and getting back down before the effects really kicked in. Messner, on the other hand, just thinks that all other mountaineers are "girls" if they need "assistance" such as supplementary oxygen. It's one of those "ethical" debates that just comes down to personal decisions in the end. Unless you are setting the bar for others to follow, the only person you need to justify it to is yourself.

In the best or worse ethical debate would you cut the rope and be vilified or hang on and be pulled to your death. (Touching the Void).

Someone I knew at work went on a Himalayan trekking holiday. While he was up there, he fell ill.

He reported back afterwards that, one night, he overheard the most worrying conversation he'd ever heard:- "Well ... if he does ... should we leave the body on the mountain or try and get him down?"

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Sorry, I was making the point that you need oxygen to live as opposed to taking extra oxygen with you!

No worries and two sorrys in one thread. Could this be a record or are there very polite mountaineers on NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here