Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Any views on the Government giving out untendered contracts on PPE?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The bloke was a middle man. A bit like a football agent. The difference is that any government worth its salt should be able to source and purchase anything. My guess is this will emerge as a scandal, not 'nothing to see here, move along now', albeit the latter is how HMG are spinning it.

You are probably correct, but everything about this pandemic has been carried out in an atmosphere of panic. JFDI seems to be the order of every day and nobody is looking at the accounts. It started with PPI, moved on to ventilators and Nightingale Hospitals and is now on to vaccines - where we've ordered hundreds of millions of doses without knowing if they're effective. This is being treated as a war situation where we're all fighting for our lives, and the cost is seen to be irrelevant.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I haven’t expressed a view on the stated title of the thread so why would you think I disagree with the OP ? I don’t. I was simply pointing out the actual reason for the existence of this thread and the OP’s ongoing crusade against his perceived victimization by the mods. Try understanding the context and read the Corbyn thread. Or don’t.

I'll agree I was wary of starting this thread because every thread I have started in the last 12 months that has been critical of the Government has been moved off the main board.

However, I did, and this hasn't, so what do you think about the thread title?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You know what?

I'm willing to forgive much of what I've read, although I'l confess that I've not delved deep into the detail.

Given the global shortage of PPE, if the UK government had NOT taken, frankly, punts to get hold of what the NHS needed then there would be threads on here along the lines of "Can you believe the government insisted on going down their usual lengthy tender and procurement process when the NHS was crying out for PPE as soon as possible? There was even a company able to source and provide what was required, and Boris and his useless mates didn't take it."

And, the testing system is a machine of numerous moving parts (of which Serco is one small bit), and I've read praise from logistics experts at how many differing companies have combined to deliver a seamless experience in most cases.

Yes, we reached our limits to test in early September, but we still had built capacity in excess of many similar-sized nations, and that has continued to grow. The trace and isolate part of the whole system has clearly been disappointing, but I'm not going to throw too much mud without knowing more about that.

And, again, there simply would not have been time to go through usual tender process to get this up and running in the timescales desired, and I'm pretty sure the OP is one of those who has poured scorn on the time it did take to get operational. You can't have it both ways.

I'm no fan of Johnson and the current government, but we were in pretty exceptional circumstances and decisions needed to be made fast. Once this entire shitshow is over, and a thorough review of the UK's performance can be undertaken, that will be the time to assess things like this.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Considering the mass hysteria about the lack of PPE, I'm not really surprised the government moved heaven and earth to make sure they got what was needed. I think given the choice at the time, most people would have taken the "spend whatever money it costs to get the PPE we need" line. Bit easy to wag our fingers at the govt. in hindsight - we can't have it both ways.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You are probably correct, but everything about this pandemic has been carried out in an atmosphere of panic. JFDI seems to be the order of every day and nobody is looking at the accounts. It started with PPI, moved on to ventilators and Nightingale Hospitals and is now on to vaccines - where we've ordered hundreds of millions of doses without knowing if they're effective. This is being treated as a war situation where we're all fighting for our lives, and the cost is seen to be irrelevant.

Agree with everything apart from the highlighted bit. The vaccines are certainly effective. How effective (50-95%?) uncertain. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Considering the mass hysteria about the lack of PPE, I'm not really surprised the government moved heaven and earth to make sure they got what was needed. I think given the choice at the time, most people would have taken the "spend whatever money it costs to get the PPE we need" line. Bit easy to wag our fingers at the govt. in hindsight - we can't have it both ways.

But....we had access to PPE and turned it down. HMG wanted it sourced by the chosen consultants. That much I know. If there is any more ordure it will emerge. Nobody will care though.

To be fair, loath Boris and chums as I do, I expect this was cock up rather than conspiracy. Getting a good Brexit deal would be a good conspiracy. Sadly I don't think they have a conspiracy in them. Even a shit one.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You know what?

I'm willing to forgive much of what I've read, although I'l confess that I've not delved deep into the detail.

Given the global shortage of PPE, if the UK government had NOT taken, frankly, punts to get hold of what the NHS needed then there would be threads on here along the lines of "Can you believe the government insisted on going down their usual lengthy tender and procurement process when the NHS was crying out for PPE as soon as possible? There was even a company able to source and provide what was required, and Boris and his useless mates didn't take it."

And, the testing system is a machine of numerous moving parts (of which Serco is one small bit), and I've read praise from logistics experts at how many differing companies have combined to deliver a seamless experience in most cases.

Yes, we reached our limits to test in early September, but we still had built capacity in excess of many similar-sized nations, and that has continued to grow. The trace and isolate part of the whole system has clearly been disappointing, but I'm not going to throw too much mud without knowing more about that.

And, again, there simply would not have been time to go through usual tender process to get this up and running in the timescales desired, and I'm pretty sure the OP is one of those who has poured scorn on the time it did take to get operational. You can't have it both ways.

I'm no fan of Johnson and the current government, but we were in pretty exceptional circumstances and decisions needed to be made fast. Once this entire shitshow is over, and a thorough review of the UK's performance can be undertaken, that will be the time to assess things like this.

I gave you a big thumbs up, as like you I agree we are living in extraordinary times and speed was of the essence.

However this same speed of thought hasn’t been shown throughout, with heels constantly dragged over making decisions.

I’m not really sure what a review or public enquiry will achieve, apart from to confirm we were caught with our pants down!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Usual culprits out to hit whatever decisions are made in what was a state of panic. The same ones no doubt who were shouting loudest due to the lack of PPE for the frontline workers which probably prompted these contracts

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Panic buying.

Stupid idea, asking to be ripped off and defrauded.

Why not give them Boris Johnson's mother's maiden name at the same time, plus his date of birth and first line of his address.

Jan 30, 2008
Coronavirus: Spanish businessman paid £21m for help supplying PPE to NHS

A Spanish businessman who helped a US firm with contracts to provide gowns, masks and other protective equipment for NHS workers was paid £21 million in taxpayers’ money.

Gabriel Andersson received the amount from an American jewellery company that despite having no experience of supplying personal protective equipment won a series of contracts with the UK government worth about £250 million.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-spanish-businessman-paid-21m-for-help-supplying-ppe-to-nhs-fv9bxdjrk

Zzzzzzzzz
Regards
DF

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Quite funny how some people on this thread not only enjoy being lied to by the government but also enjoy being ripped off by them

My 45 quid I refused to pay for PPV has been passed to The Good Law project

There are individuals that need to give us answers

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
No different from someone bulk buying hand sanitisers and then selling them at £20 a pop on eBay. Buying millions of products from a factory, flogging them to the government at inflated prices and pocket £21M is surely profiteering and should be against the law

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
At least this Spanish company delivered the PPE. One can see why the govt grabbed what they could. It's the contracts granted to companies that could never deliver adequate kit that is scandalous.
Any Tory supporter who doesn't think that is a big deal is either fronting it to save face or is deep under Boris's spell. They have wasted billions on useless contracts over this last 8 months. It's criminal. Or it bloody well should be.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Usual culprits out to hit whatever decisions are made in what was a state of panic. The same ones no doubt who were shouting loudest due to the lack of PPE for the frontline workers which probably prompted these contracts

I can’t speak for anyone else, and it’s not the fault of the current incumbents of power directly, but I point you towards Exercise Cygnus. The writing was on the wall for the problems that would be encountered in a pandemic. Government decided to ignore those warnings, with an apparent belief it would never happen here.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I gave you a big thumbs up, as like you I agree we are living in extraordinary times and speed was of the essence.

However this same speed of thought hasn’t been shown throughout, with heels constantly dragged over making decisions.

I’m not really sure what a review or public enquiry will achieve, apart from to confirm we were caught with our pants down!

I would think the whole world was caught with its pants down wouldn’t you say?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
criminally negligent fraud.......by the govt and by those claiming to be able to supply millions of pounds worth of equipment knowing full well they couldn't.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I get that in March and April we had to do something quick. but the government are still giving millions of pounds worth of contracts, without proper tendering, to companies for services they don't normally provide who happen to be owned by donors and friends of the party.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I get that in March and April we had to do something quick. but the government are still giving millions of pounds worth of contracts, without proper tendering, to companies for services they don't normally provide who happen to be owned by donors and friends of the party.

thats the nail on the head .....one theory is they are making sure all close associates are well looked after for the coming shit storm ....it's happening all over the world.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
criminally negligent fraud.......by the govt and by those claiming to be able to supply millions of pounds worth of equipment knowing full well they couldn't.

The money this government have wasted this year is beyond belief and we're not just talking PPE contracts for mates.

Its little surprise the UK just late month received another credit downgrade, the primary driver "a weakening in the UK’s institutions and governance".

The people in charge are simply out of their depth, a younger generation will pay the price

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here