Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Any truly independent vets in B&H ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think I'm being ripped off by my vet and investigation shows that they belong to a huge group of vets ( over 900 practices ). I'm currently with Acorn vets ( they're shit by the way ) and thought I'd move to the New Priory Vets. Checking them out - oh - same group ( not that Acorn mention that when they refer you there for OOH treatment ! ). Thought I'd try Southdown - surprise, part of the massive CVS group. All I want is a truly independent vet that isn't going to rip me off. Can anyone recommend one ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I haven't used them myself but they have got some good reviews - Coastway vets is a group, but an independent group (if that makes sense)

I wouldn't touch New Priory with a bargepole. I used to use the Peachaven one, but when Mr Richardson died suddenly, they were bought out by the large group and prices shot up. The care got worse (tests missed, and ended up with my 10 year old Gus puss being put to sleep)

I know it's out of town but Meridien Vets in Peacehaven are independent and lovely to deal with. Their healthy cat plan and treatments are much cheaper but the quality of treatment is better.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I haven't used them myself but they have got some good reviews - Coastway vets is a group, but an independent group (if that makes sense)

I wouldn't touch New Priory with a bargepole. I used to use the Peachaven one, but when Mr Richardson died suddenly, they were bought out by the large group and prices shot up. The care got worse (tests missed, and ended up with my 10 year old Gus puss being put to sleep)

I know it's out of town but Meridien Vets in Peacehaven are independent and lovely to deal with. Their healthy cat plan and treatments are much cheaper but the quality of treatment is better.
Thank you. I'll have a look - as you say, a bit of a trip but Acorn have become ridiculously pricey. As an aside, all pet owners might like to fill in the CMA survey for their review into charging - https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/veterinary-services-market-for-pets-review

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, we're with Coastway (got three dogs) and I'd recommend them without hesitation. Great treatment, and I'd say their prices are reasonable. Well they are to us as I'm comparing them to our old vets, Grove Lodge, who became part of a group and their prices promptly became exorbitant. Also three times in a row they kept us waiting over an hour for our appointment. The excuse each time was "We've had an emergency", in other words they cut costs by not having enough vets on duty. Never happened in the 'Old Days' and we'd been with them since the mid-1990s.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I use Portside Vets in Newhaven, so not B&H area, they're independent though and really lovely.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brighton friends of ours with dogs left New Priory due to ever increasing bills from an already high base. They now use the independent Hawthorn Vets in Henfield https://www.hawthornvets.co.uk/about/surgeries/henfield

Anyone here being ripped off on cat or rabbit vets bills? Try in Patcham, we've used them after an RSPCA recommended them, other cat charities also use them. Be prepared for a happy shock, we walked away last week with a £90 bill. At NP things always seemed to escalate into the £100's.

R4 covered the sector change in a recent long piece. Private equity firms in conjunction with highly ££££ aspiration vets who have equity, have taken over. Those not selling out receive monthly phone calls trying to persuade them to sell up at multi-£m per equity partner.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Our cat only has to not eat for a day and against my wishes my wife is off to the vet. What bugs me is vet never states ok see how cat is in a couple of days. Always comes back with some tablets and an £85ish bill.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Coastway in Portslade on Station Road. Absolutely fantastic and have a monthly plan that you actually get stuff with. Very caring with our dog too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here