Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any tips for interviews?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
When interviewing skills and behaviours are what I am interested in most, the scenario the task, how it as actioned and the result ie STAR.....remember that and you will be ok. I have interviewed some people with degrees and god knows what else...common sense and job Awareness however ....cock all

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Prepare loads, it will set you apart from others.

After a couple of interviews which didn't go so well, I made proper notes before the next one:

- Why (x) firm (rather than others in the industry)

- Why should they hire me / what are my skills

- Why am I moving / looking now / haven't i looked before now

- What has happened in the industry in the last 12 months

- What is likely to happen to the industry in the next 12 months.

I have had my CV on the table in front of me in interviews and they haven't batted an eyelid - it's comforting to know it's there and to remind yourself of your experience in the stress of an interview.

If the interview's drifting a bit, ask if they would like to know a bit more about a particular thing on your CV that you want to talk about. if you don't you could walk out of the interview without having told them about your best bits of experience.

Someone made a good point above about letting your interviewer talk if they want to, which is good advice, but make sure you get everything across that you want to get across.

Prepare questions before you go in, and don't be scared to look at your notes if you had to. When they have asked me if I have any questions, I said that we had already covered quite a lot of things I was interested to hear, and would they mind if i checked my notes to make sure i hadn't missed anything (i had forgotten my other questions).

Good questions I have found to ask are:

- get them to describe the culture of the place

- how will you help the firm meet its targets (shows you want to pull your weight)

- what will be expected of you after 6mths / a year

- and if you're a bit ballsy - is there anything that they (the interviewer) sees as being a reason why they wouldn't offer you the job? It opens you up a bit, but also gives you the opportunity to address what the interviewer thinks is likely to be the reason they don't offer you the job or get you back in for another interview.

I have no idea what a safeguarder is and if any of this is relevant, but good luck!

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
If they are any good they will want to find out about you to see if you are a fit for them.........and guess what You are the expert in YOU it's easy relax its all about you and no one in the world knows any more about you than YOU so go get em tiger I would wish you good luck but you don't need it

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
If they are interviewing you, you already interest them so remember your value as well.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Being honest, as above, is important as an interview is a 2-way process - it's as much about you deciding if the job/company is right for you as the other way round.

Research the company thoroughly so you're in an excellent position to...

i) Answer an early "So, what do you know about xxxx?" question you may get, and
ii) regardless of the above, allow you to ask a few questions yourself to demonstrate your diligent research.

Good luck!

Is the best answer.....research the company to show you really want to work there

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Don't forget to ask about holiday pay and sick leave.Also remark on the lowish nature of the pay for what your expected to do.Sandals and open necked shirt de rigeur.Do say you can only spare them five minutes.............but above all,only take notice of sensible suggestions,good luck,and let us all know how you get on !

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
My boss said, "Dress for the job you want, not the one you have.", which was good advice.

Sadly, two days later, I was sat in a disciplinary hearing dressed as Batman...

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
have coffee before hand and listen more than you talk.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Be careful about explaining any gaps you may have in your CV. I've found if I've been honest and mentioned any kind of mental illness, like depression, then I've never got the job I applied for. It's not the stigma it was years ago but they've probably thought if the going gets tough I would find the stress and job too difficult.

Now I do gardening, am very happy with it and have a nice boss.

When answering questions, don't give theoretical or generalised answers. Refer to specific situations in your past, whether they are from the work you did before or outside work. For instance, if they ask you what your greatest strength is and you want to tell them it is "coping in a crisis", tell them about a specific example of a crisis you dealt with.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Ignore the above, it's all down to one thing : The handshake
No limp wristed or bone crunching giant haystacks efforts simply MATCH the grip of the interviewer & the jobs yours

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
When interviewing skills and behaviours are what I am interested in most, the scenario the task, how it as actioned and the result ie STAR.....remember that and you will be ok. I have interviewed some people with degrees and god knows what else...common sense and job Awareness however ....cock all

And remember to spend more time on the action and response than the scenario and task.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here