Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any tips for interviews?

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Coming out of retirement (56) and have first interview for 13yrs and feeling quite nervous. Applying for similar job I had been doing for 13yrs (Safeguarding) but have been out of it for at least 2yrs. Any helpful tips?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
remember the person you're trying to impress is probably the same person everyone in the company hates, and who you will think is rubbish at their job once you've been there 6 months.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Coming out of retirement (56) and have first interview for 13yrs and feeling quite nervous. Applying for similar job I had been doing for 13yrs (Safeguarding) but have been out of it for at least 2yrs. Any helpful tips?

Same age as me: I would look the fella in the eye and just bullshit it------wot is safeguarding???

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Be Honest - don't say you can do things you can't.

But at the same time don't do yourself down. If you have been out of something like safeguarding for two years, presumably you built up a great deal of expertise and experience, and hopefully all that would be needed now is to catch up with changes in legislation, systems etc.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Same age as me: I would look the fella in the eye and just bullshit it------wot is safeguarding???

gg61685904.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Being honest, as above, is important as an interview is a 2-way process - it's as much about you deciding if the job/company is right for you as the other way round.

Research the company thoroughly so you're in an excellent position to...

i) Answer an early "So, what do you know about xxxx?" question you may get, and
ii) regardless of the above, allow you to ask a few questions yourself to demonstrate your diligent research.

Good luck!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Be confident not arrogant.
Don't interrupt the interviewer.
Turn up on time (sounds daft I know but you'll be amazed at the amount of people who don't). Make sure you know where you are going.
Do your research on the company and shoe horn what you find out into the conversation.
Wear a suit (or a short skirt and a low cut top).
If the interviewer is going to be your line manager then try and find a common ground and talk about it. After all the chap/ess is going to have to get on with you if s/he is going to work with you.
Take notes during the interview and refer back to them and have some pre-prepared questions.

Good luck!

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
Confidence in your own abilities, you have to sell yourself to the potential employer.. At 56 you are full of experience, so play on that, just go for it!

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Don't bullshit, but emphasise the good stuff. Know youre cv inside out. They are buying your skills, so remember its a two way process. Make sure you have some good questions to ask about the role, I.e. scope, key challenges etc, not just how much holiday etc....
Don't be cocky. I hate cocky interviewees..

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Felt in a similar position in many ways (though not retirement age in 40's and long time since last interview) and went for an interview today. I would say be yourself and hope they like you for who you are (hopefully genuine and honest !) and stand up for what your experience tells you is right. There are a few qualities that seem to by pass many of the younger generations today that those of a more mature age have more abundantly, and vice versa.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Being honest, as above, is important as an interview is a 2-way process - it's as much about you deciding if the job/company is right for you as the other way round.

Research the company thoroughly so you're in an excellent position to...

i) Answer an early "So, what do you know about xxxx?" question you may get, and
ii) regardless of the above, allow you to ask a few questions yourself to demonstrate your diligent research.

Good luck!

Was going to say the same thing. Take an interest in the company and, without being rude, ask questions about what the company can offer YOU. Take the attitude that the appointment has to be good for both parties and not just them.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

At the age of 56 you have more experience of life let alone work than most people. I don't think I will ever be able to retire at 86 let alone 54. Did you take your work home with you??:D

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Learn competency based interview answers, would try YouTube. ,mos companies use these nowadays as it gives true picture of your skills and typical behaviours portrayed in previous roles rather than how many exams you can pass.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Ps age should not be used as a reason for not getting the job as this is now classed as ageism

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't bullshit and be specific with answers and ask questions about the company, all points covered already.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Be prepared for the usual questions about your strengths/weaknesses, what attracts you to the job/company, what relevant experience you have, how others would describe you, etc. Turn up on time, dress appropriately, be polite and try to make it like a normal flowing two way conversation. However, if you get the impression that the interviewer likes the sound of his/her own voice, let them talk and be an affable listener and wait for the question. Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here