Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any tiler vacancies

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
The problem in such cases is a court is usually the only answer. I knew a woman who worked for Gleesons some years ago and she was told to withhold payment to single subcontractors as they would probably go under so Gleesons wouldnt have to pay them. Terrible attitude.

When I used to subcontract from Taylor Woodrow they never paid me or any other contractors one month. They had exceeded their budget for that month so just unilaterally decided against paying anyone. Yes we could have sued but by the time the case hit court we would have been paid as never got anymore work from them again. They had us over a barrel and they knew it.

Is your grandson employed or self employed? I know he has a boss but how is it structured. Either way he cannot just withold money. It sounds like the boss has a cash problem so is not paying everyone what they are owed and using shite excuses to do it.
If he can get the work then definitely go self employed. It's so much more profitable. If he wants to take a day off during the week then so what, provided he is not letting a customer down then it is one of the perks.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When I used to subcontract from Taylor Woodrow they never paid me or any other contractors one month. They had exceeded their budget for that month so just unilaterally decided against paying anyone. Yes we could have sued but by the time the case hit court we would have been paid as never got anymore work from them again. They had us over a barrel and they knew it.

Is your grandson employed or self employed? I know he has a boss but how is it structured. Either way he cannot just withold money. It sounds like the boss has a cash problem so is not paying everyone what they are owed and using shite excuses to do it.
If he can get the work then definitely go self employed. It's so much more profitable. If he wants to take a day off during the week then so what, provided he is not letting a customer down then it is one of the perks.

Not often I say this on here but the Palace fan speaks much sense. Speaking as someone who used to audit firms who used contractors, my educated guess would be cashflow problems as @Swillis has said and using the excuse of shoddy work to withhold pay. Sadly, it's something that I did encounter on a few occasions. If it is genuinely for poor workmanship it's still more than likely not legal. It's certainly not ethical and I wouldn't want to work for a boss that did this.

I'd definitely recommend looking at going self-employed if he can. If he can't or doesn't want to then I think the hard truth is that he needs to look for another job sharpish and when he goes for the interview be totally upfront about what his current boss has done to him. I don't know how long Ben has worked there or his employment structure but when he has a chat with Citizen's Advice ask about constructive dismissal. They'll know what it means in case you weren't aware.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thiuk the problem with going self employed is the start up capital needed to live until he gets sufficient work. To compound the problem his boss is the cousin of his step father and his bosses mother works for his step fathers father in his office so it is a very close knit mob.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I thiuk the problem with going self employed is the start up capital needed to live until he gets sufficient work. To compound the problem his boss is the cousin of his step father and his bosses mother works for his step fathers father in his office so it is a very close knit mob.

This is getting complicated. Without prying can he not have a word with his stepdad to try to get this sorted? At least make him aware that he's had £400 taken from his wages. The poor lad is only 21, I reckon that's a massive hit to this month's pocket.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Step fathers father and his bosses mother are brother and sister.

But if she had bollocks she would be his grandad.........no hang thats you isnt it.

I claim the £5.... you are Bens Grandma:eek:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
How about going back to the jobs and asking them if they are happy with the quality of the work provided ?

Surely this is the acid test. If Ben doesn't fancy it, does he really believe he has done a decent job ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That's incest :eek:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Sadly this is the problem of mixing work with family, several years back some friends had a similar problem but with non payment of tax which was being deducted at source but not pay to the revenue. The only avenue open was to go legal.
If Ben doesn't want to rock the boat with the family cut his losses and find a new job and leave, if not go to court and divide the family. It's a tough decision for a young lad to make.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Step fathers father and his bosses mother are brother and sister.

No it isnt. Sister works for her brother, son of brother is Bens step father. Son of sister is his boss. Makes life difficult for Ben and doesnt help in this situation as they say blood is thicker than water, but perfectly normal.

Jesus....this is like some bad channel 5 soap opera.

Pay me my wages you slag
NO! You screwed up a job
I'm sleeping with your wife so the jokes on you
But I'm your dad

Duff duff duff duff duff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here