Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any roofers in the house?

Just had a quote, seems reasonable (based in East Anglia, so not taking any work away from any local firms like)... is it?

RE-ROOF
1. Supply scaffolding to gain safe working platform
2. Strip existing roof, saving sound slates to be re-used to the front elevation. Clearing debris away.
3. Supply tanalised battens on breather felt fixed over 5U eaves felt with galvanised nails.
4. Re-slate front of the property, using sound slates stripped off original roof, fixed with 2 No. alloy nails.
5. Re-slate rear of the property using Man Made Eternit slates fixed with 2 No alloy nails, and a copper rivet to the bottom of the slate.
6. Supply and fit new lead to all abutments.
7. Re-bed existing ridge.
8. Drop scaffold on completion.

PRICE: £2395.00 PLUS VAT

I can get back to you on this tomorrow evening, to add to the information that you might receive before then.

Cheers BOF, it's a 'standard' mid-terrace 2up 2down, by the way.
The roofer I've got this quote from is a member of the Confederation of Roofing Contractors - but their website appears to be down.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I agree, I found a company on there who deal in windows, doors, facia's and consevatories called South Coast Exteriors. Really first class work, they have done two jobs for me now at very reasonable prices. I obviously obtained quotes from other companies first and they come out far cheaper on both jobs.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That sounds pretty cheap to me, I had almost exactly what you described done on my first house and it cost about the same as you have been quoted, which was competitive then...but that was in 1993!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Just had a quote, seems reasonable (based in East Anglia, so not taking any work away from any local firms like)... is it?

RE-ROOF
1. Supply scaffolding to gain safe working platform
2. Strip existing roof, saving sound slates to be re-used to the front elevation. Clearing debris away.
3. Supply tanalised battens on breather felt fixed over 5U eaves felt with galvanised nails.
4. Re-slate front of the property, using sound slates stripped off original roof, fixed with 2 No. alloy nails.
5. Re-slate rear of the property using Man Made Eternit slates fixed with 2 No alloy nails, and a copper rivet to the bottom of the slate.
6. Supply and fit new lead to all abutments.
7. Re-bed existing ridge.
8. Drop scaffold on completion.

PRICE: £2395.00 PLUS VAT

I'm a builder with more than 30 years experience and I reckon that's a very reasonable quote.

Cheers lads, I've got two more quotes coming, but when I read that one I figured I might have a winner.
I got a 'verbal' quote a while back and that was "four to five grand"

No roofers in the house. They're on top of it!
:tumble:
:lol:

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
I'm a builder with more than 30 years experience and I reckon that's a very reasonable quote.

i am also a builder with over 30 yrs experiance , the quote seems to cheap to be true , they quote to reuse slates , what is to say the slates are shot , same goes for the ridge it may not clean up to well , i would wait for your other quotes then choose , the scaffold alone must be at least £ 400 if fully insured ect , skip about £150 , watch points

i am also a builder with over 30 yrs experiance , the quote seems to cheap to be true , they quote to reuse slates , what is to say the slates are shot , same goes for the ridge it may not clean up to well , i would wait for your other quotes then choose , the scaffold alone must be at least £ 400 if fully insured ect , skip about £150 , watch points

See that did occur to me, after my verbal quote almost twice as much.
It's a bleedin' minefield innit!?!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here