Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any recommendations for football autobiographies??

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I've got a feeling that Jimmy Case has released an autobiography, although I myself have never seen it. When I was working on my Albion book 'A Few Good Men' Jimmy willingly co-operated in the chapter devoted to him but made me aware from the start that he wanted to keep the majority of the Liverpool stuff back for his own book which he was about to start working on - and that was back in 2007.

I loved Cascarino's 'Full Time'- read the thing cover to cover in a day on holiday. Found Stan Bowles' autobiography in a second hand shop just before Christmas and that's just marvellous for its outrageousness. Plenty of tales about him and fellow QPR 'wide boy' Don Shanks who of course signed for the Albion in 1981. Dated Mary Stavin, a former Miss World - as you do!

Unbound.co.uk tried to get advanced purchases to get Jimmy Case's autobiography written but they didn't get enough pledges and so the project was abandoned in August this year, sadly. Seems to be a strange model to get a book project off the ground, especially as they set quite a high bar for pre-orders.

Thanks for the tip on Stan Bowles' autobiography. I'm sure they'll be cheap copy on Amazon or eBay.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Lee Sharpe - My Idea Of Fun.

Such a talented footballer who p1ssed it up the wall somehow. Into the Manchester club scene, there's an entire chapter on him denying that drugs destroyed his career. Fantastic book.

(He shagged my sister's best mate when she was at Manchester University. :lolol: )

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Be careful what you wish for - Simon Jordan (from the library obviously and had to wear gloves to avoid any Palace germs)
Good read

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
If you want to get away from modern football and get a feel for "the good old days" I can strongly recommend
"The Way it Was" by Stanley Matthews

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Be careful what you wish for - Simon Jordan (from the library obviously and had to wear gloves to avoid any Palace germs)
Good read

Read this on holiday this year - weren't all that. My fav autobiography is Phil Tufnell's. Read that in 2 days. If you want light hearted entertainment, that's the one to get. This was before he went in the jungle and was on A Question Of Sport.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Only A Game by Eamon Dunphy is a great read. Not sure if it's still in print though.

Jan 10, 2014
Stan Ternent's - Stan The Man A Hard Life In Football.

"one of the greatest characters in the game"

Alex Ferguson's words not mine.

Although I would say that he's a proper chap, funny and had Neil Warnock shitting himself.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Not an autobiography but I recommend "The best footballer you never saw" the story of Robin Friday. Story of a very gifted, hedonistic yet troubled footballer.
Short bite sized and easy to read chapters

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Footballers' autobiographies as a rule don't tend to be great reads.

Just read Zlatan's, which was somewhat more interesting than many, though by no means unputdownable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here