Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any news on Gerry Ryan?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
No, not wishing to put a scare story and hopefully he's in good health, but today is the anniversary of that fatefull night at Selhurst in 1985 when the popular Irishman had his career ended.

The midweek clash had lost some of it's usual passion as Albion & palace were now in decline. Albion were 6th but going nowhere, Palace in the lower half of Div 2.

Although not the intensity, it was still a feisty match and palace took the lead but the game turned when a horrendous tackle by Henry Houghton broke Ryan's leg. The tackle took place on the half way line, hardly a crucial area and was , to put it mildly, reckless. The crack could be heared by the Albion fans behind the goal and there was a fair amount of anger both on & off the pitch.

Albion really tore into them after that and Danny Wilson made the final score 1-1 but the game was overshadowed by the Ryan incident.

I don't think he ever played again, certainly not back at this level, and he was an international too.

He did spend a time on the management team with Liam Brady and looked pretty sprightly in a celebs game at Withers a couple of years back, only to suffer a stroke a few weeks later. The last time I saw him was at another Withers game when the 1983 Cup final players were presented on the pitch.

Gerry was a popular player, one of those that you couldn't guess how he would play, brilliant or woeful, sometimes in the same game! He had some wonderful mazy runs where he'd travel half the length of the pitch, leaving opposition players, his team mates and the crowd bemused!

Wishing you good health, Gerry :whisky:

:clap:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I've heard from his nephew that Gerry Ryan had a stroke about a year ago. He hasn't recovered fully and his leg is still paralysed. Very sad news.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I can still remember the sickening noise of hearing Gerry's bone break. It totally overshadowed the rest of the game. For many months afterwards a group of us used to send him postcards from everywhere we went for away games.

I thought he still had the pub but presumably hasn't been well enough to run it himself for some time. I last saw him on the pitch for the 83 cup final anniversary celebration at Withers, he was having difficulty walking even using a stick. A very sad sight at the time but, hopefully, he is recovering well.

A true Albion legend :bowdown:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Was a shocking noise caused by a shocking tackle. I recall Gerry being interviewed a few days later on the radio when he uttered the famous line "I knew it was broken when I saw the bone sticking through my shin pad".

A top top bloke. I hope he has recovered. Best wishes and thanks from a fan.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I've been out of Sussex for a few years now, but I recall he was the landlord at the Witch Inn in Lindfield - did he "retire"?

was in there about 6-8 weeks ago and he was sitting at the bar in there being his usual chatty self.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Good player and you never knew what he was going to do when he had the ball!Scored some memorable goals for us.I wish him well!!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Gerry is in good spirits still and is his usual chirpy self no doubt planning his National tips as i type, always gives me the Albion score as soon as i walk in. And generally grumbling about how poorly we are doing at the moment.

I see him in the Witch every saturday after my game of footy, he still pulls the pints and has a cracking policy on hiring to notch totty behind the bar.

He is still pretty paralysed down one side but i would say slowly improving.
TOP FELLA

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

5 past Kuipers

Is that the time?
Feb 22, 2006
Tunbridge Wells
In fairness (in so far as one can be fair to Palarse) some other posters further down have expressed their disgust at that post.

I'd like to add my best wishes to Gerry.

Holmesdale.net is full of kids, no excuse I know. I'd like to think those that would post on a childish thread like that aren't representative of the majority of us Palace fans.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I met him in the wholesalers some years ago and we had a chat,he was a top man .......we always called him the sniper and we were sure he had a pothole in the opposing penalty area and would suddenly pop up and score ...true Albion legend

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Always remember a goal he scored where he virtually ran the whole length of the pitch against MAN CITY in front of the south goal at the Goldstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here