Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Mechanics on Here? (Clutch / Clunking)

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
New engine mount will most probably be a fair few $$$ because you have to remove the engine to replace or repair the mounts

Nonsense, normally a correctly positioned trolley jack under the engine to remove the pressure on the mount is enough.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I have 54 plate Octavia 1.9 TDI that I think needs a new clutch, it slips in 6th gear, for which Mr Clutch quotes £300 unless it needs a new dual mass fly wheel? In which case it is another £350. Two questions for the sages of NSC what is the likelihood of it needing a new fly wheel as obviously it makes a difference to the viability and cost of the job and does this sound a good price?

I've had this twice and both times its needed the dual-mass flywheel. I think they generally do if it has been subjected to enough wear to wear out the clutch plate. Sounds like a reasonable price - my Mazda 6 cost £1100 for plate+flywheel.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If it's front wheel drive, you didn't say the car make, it could be wear in the drive shaft to the drivers side. Plus you say it does it just depressing the clutch I take it that's when you are moving? If so I stand by my diagnosis.

Agree with this. Should be able to tell just by opening the bonnet and looking in while getting someone else to rev engine and release clutch to biting point. Your engine lurching will be a big clue.

it sounds like a stabliser link on the back of the engine/gearbox, engine mounts very rarely give problems these days

+1 on the engine mount diagnosis from me. If it only clunks when on the move then I'm pretty sure it's that. If it doesn't do it stationary then don't think it can be a clutch/drive shaft issue.

Update on the 'clunking' noise.

It is at it's loudest when changing gears, can be ever so slightly felt under the car however I've now discovered that a sharp change in speed (without even touching the clutch/gears) also causes this 'clunk' sound.

Does this change anything to do with the engine/gearbox mounts or could it be something entirely different?
Car booked in for Thursday AM.

Cheers :thumbsup:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

It is at it's loudest when changing gears, can be ever so slightly felt under the car however I've now discovered that a sharp change in speed (without even touching the clutch/gears) also causes this 'clunk' sound.

Does this change anything to do with the engine/gearbox mounts or could it be something entirely different?

Engine mount or stabiliser bar for deffo :thumbsup:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Engine mount:thumbsup:

NSC is mostly strange but has its uses eh??:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Engine Mount.

If anyone wants to maintain its something else I'll put £10 on it. (to REMF as per all NSC bets)

they may try and maintain they have to remove the engine and charge silly money, there is normally one mount that is a bit of a pig to get to but its usually one at the side that goes. Don't know how similar it will be but I swapped one out on a crappy ford fiesta I had many years ago using a plank, a piece of rope and a spanner. Took me about half an hour and was the first thing I ever did on a car beyond check the oil.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
When you go in say you think an engine mount has gone, and then it should be plain sailing, if you go in sounding vague then they have carte blanche to try and pull a fast one if they are untrustworthy. I'd recommend using a known garage you've used before as well.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] how did you get on at the car doctor?

It was the rear bushes for the engine mount which were wrecked. Pretty much what you guys were saying. Luckily the mount is fine, bushes just need replacing. I blame these potholes!
If I could offer one bit of advice to anyone looking for a cheap sports car. Don't buy an MG ZR. You'll be in the garage every 3 months!
P.s. After he's out of the garage, he's going up on Autotrader so tell your friends! :jester:

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I have 54 plate Octavia 1.9 TDI that I think needs a new clutch, it slips in 6th gear, for which Mr Clutch quotes £300 unless it needs a new dual mass fly wheel? In which case it is another £350. Two questions for the sages of NSC what is the likelihood of it needing a new fly wheel as obviously it makes a difference to the viability and cost of the job and does this sound a good price?
I'd replace the flywheel to be honest, if you don't replace the DMF when it needs changing, it will drive like a bag of shit.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
It was the rear bushes for the engine mount which were wrecked. Pretty much what you guys were saying. Luckily the mount is fine, bushes just need replacing. I blame these potholes!
If I could offer one bit of advice to anyone looking for a cheap sports car. Don't buy an MG ZR. You'll be in the garage every 3 months!
P.s. After he's out of the garage, he's going up on Autotrader so tell your friends! :jester:
I'm surprised the head gasket hasn't gone MG's are prone to them failing !

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Happy days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here