Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Football Manager Fans Lurking?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Yep been playing it for more years than I can remember, first version was on my old 386 computer that ran MS DOS! I have bought it every year since, My current save is with Lincoln City just started my 5th season and have them 1st in league 1. so 2 promotions in 4 years and I am making a small profit each month. cant wait for FM 2014!

Haste

Jul 22, 2013
SUSSEX
My favourite save I started unemployed and got offered the Worcester City job. Took it, and just fell in love. Many, many hours and I eventually got us into the Premiership where I was offered England/Spain job and Liverpool (League champions) ... For some reason I took the 'Pool job and completely fell out of love with the save and gave up. Wish I'd stayed with Worcester to see how long I would have stuck with it

I took Koln, relegation contenders in Germany, with a tight bored who gave me no money, and I've won the League, UEFA Cup etc, got England job. I then got offered Liverpool, took it and hated it like you haha. I soon went back to Koln

Haste

Jul 22, 2013
SUSSEX
Yep been playing it for more years than I can remember, first version was on my old 386 computer that ran MS DOS! I have bought it every year since, My current save is with Lincoln City just started my 5th season and have them 1st in league 1. so 2 promotions in 4 years and I am making a small profit each month. cant wait for FM 2014!

Shame there isnt FM14 midnight launch

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
My favourite save I started unemployed and got offered the Worcester City job. Took it, and just fell in love. Many, many hours and I eventually got us into the Premiership where I was offered England/Spain job and Liverpool (League champions) ... For some reason I took the 'Pool job and completely fell out of love with the save and gave up. Wish I'd stayed with Worcester to see how long I would have stuck with it

Trick is at that point to save it under a different name after you take the job so you can always go back to the other save if you regret it

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Haven't played for a while but was pretty addicted last year. Got Brighton a champions league trophy in about 2025, then again in 2042, although my best achievement was building and filling a new 60,000 seater stadium. Haven't played that save game for a while though.

Haste

Jul 22, 2013
SUSSEX
Haven't played for a while but was pretty addicted last year. Got Brighton a champions league trophy in about 2025, then again in 2042, although my best achievement was building and filling a new 60,000 seater stadium. Haven't played that save game for a while though.

Now that is impressive

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Pretty addicted?!? :wozza:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We have a massive thread on Fm2013 soemwhere. Have had lots of favourite saves over the 20 years Ive been playing this game.... Brighton to the Champions League from Laegue 2 with Nicky Rust as England GK being one fot he best.

This year I am now with Whitehawk in first season in the prem all the way from Ryman Premier. Playing at the Amex while the Enclosed is being developed. Only player to survive is Jed Wallace.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Gave up on season 2056 where as Brighton manager i had won Champs League 5 times, Prem 12 times and alot of FA Cup, then the save file corrupted and never played since.

Itman-dan

Jul 19, 2011
Into my 6th season with Brighton, so far I have won promotion to the Premier League, the league cup, the European league cup thing twice and finished 2nd in the prem. Turned down offers from Untied, Chelsea and Arsenal. And JFC and Dunk are both staring players worth both over £20mill.

Oct 25, 2003
my two proudest achievements:

1. My epic career in BELGIUM on FM08

Took over at Club Brugge, won 5 straight titles and won the Champions League at Wembley against Chelsea. It was an epic 3-1 extra time victory in which one of my players took one for the team and got a straight red for a professional foul in the last minute (at 1-1)...their free kick hit the post. We then scored twice in extra time. Everyone in Europe wanted a piece of my ass...and with almost all of my top players being sold by the board (annoying, but realistic), I, for some reason, took over at WEST BROM. Things didn't work out too well, with two mid table finishes, although I did win the League Cup. I then fled back to Belgium to take over at GENT, winning the title there. The Belgian FA came knocking, and I took over the Belgian national team...with my former Brugge players and several others such as Kompany, Dembele, Vermaelen etc. I took them to both European Championship and World Cup glory. I then returned to Brugge....who by that point were languishing in mid table and brought home the title several more times. My main trick was that managing in Belgium makes work permits a mere formality. The meant that I could pick up loads of youngsters from all over the globe for next to nothing and sell for fortunes. A knock on affect of this was that when I went to manage the national side, several of these foreigners were now 'Belgian'.

2. Becoming an EXETER legend.

I took over at Exeter City, who were in the Conference. A play-off finish in my first season was followed by winning the title at an absolute canter the following year. I went straight through League 2, coming 3rd and lost in the play-off final in League 1. Again, the next year I managed to step up and we finished 2nd in the league. We were tipped to finish bottom of the Championship the next year, but the inspired signing of big JONATHAN STEAD in January kept us up on the final day. Stead turned out to be an absolute goal monster the next season, and by this point I had filled my team with Spanish and Dutch kids, playing pretty passing football, with Steadinho banging in the goals- we were promoted via the play-offs despite being predicted to finish bottom again. We struggled in the Prem, and, despite a famous 1-0 win at Old Trafford, were relegated on the final day. With the financial muscle of a recently relegated side, and players such as Anderson and Pablo Piatti (who were signed in January) we won the Championship at a canter. We were better prepared for Premier League life this time around and finished mid table- more importantly winning the League Cup. Majorly struggled the next year with the added pressure of Europe and were relegated. I decided I'd taken the club as far as I could and started a somewhat nomadic career, managing all over the globe, as the Grecians plummeted into obscurity.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
My current FM12 save is a lot of fun. I started unemployed but with International Footballer reputation, so after a couple of months on the dole, Feyenoord, 11th in the Dutch league, came calling. The club was heavily in debt and had a budget just under half of that of the top sides, but we managed to turn things around and finish 3rd, qualifying for next year's Europa League.

I made several signings prior to the next campaign, the most important being striker Odion Ighalo for just over £1m from Udinese. He had a great season, scoring about 30 goals, but overall the team struggled, eventually finishing 5th and losing out in a playoff for a European spot. The one bright side, and what probably kept me in a job, was a run to the quarter-finals of the Europa League, where we lost 4-3 on aggregate to Man City despite a 3-1 home victory over them.

Come the summer, and I very nearly left the club after the (still really stingy) board got upset that I'd applied for the vacant post at Fiorentina. I didn't get it, and then, to add insult to injury, the board sold one of my brightest prospects, Bruno Martins Indi, to Wolfsburg. Nevertheless, I opted against making any major signings, partly because the board didn't give me any money, and partly because I felt the current team could do something special given a year to improve and gel, and without the added demands of European football. And I was proved correct (despite spending £500k on Spaniard Jaime Gavilan, a total flop), as the team romped to the title, 12 points clear of second place. Ighalo scored about 30 again, and although the board sold midfield maestro Marco Verratti (a £900k signing a year before) and up-and-coming Tony Trindade de Vilhena mid-season, we just couldn't be stopped and played fantastically throughout - only losing twice all season.

This gave me a dilemma heading into the new season. Part of me wanted to see how my charges would fare in the new season, especially given that I expected a sizeable budget due to the club's debt being repaid and qualification for the Champions League, but part of me was sorely tempted by the vacancies at Man Utd and Chelsea that had arisen. The board giving me £2 million transfer funds and no additional money for wages made the decision easier. I applied for both jobs and..... didn't get them. Leverkusen manager Andre Villas-Boas was appointed as the manager of Manchester United, whilst Chelsea picked TONY PULIS ahead of me. I was not happy, but when Leverkusen approached me to continue AVB's work, I had no hesitation in making the move to a squad packed with talent, in the Champions League and with £20 million to spend.

It also meant I was reunited with Marco Verratti, who Feyenoord sold against my wishes six months earlier. I've made a few signings and we are currently sitting 2nd in the Bundesliga and in the last 16 of the Champions League (topping a group containing Pulis's Chelsea), although Martin O-Neill's Bayern side look out of reach for the title. Not sure if I will stay at this club long-term, though, despite some exciting talent coming through the ranks. My title-winning Feyenoord side, meanwhile, has been dismantled with another defender, Stefan de Vrij, and main man Ighalo being sold in the summer without adequate replacements coming in. They're languishing in 12th in the Dutch league and my successor has already been given the sack.

I'm really enjoying this save, and think I could go on for quite a while with it! Long-term goals are:

Manage a big club in England for around 10 years, rebuilding the team as necessary
Manage England
Manage the Albion to success, though not until all the players the club start with are gone
Manage in Italy and Spain, and maybe France

It could take me a while!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've got 450 hours on FM '13 but I sometimes leave it open all day when I'm at work and I'm always listening to music/watching a film if playing so its not that bad (okay its a little bit bad). My most recent save I started off unemployed and got signed to Hayes and Yeading, in the first season stopped them from getting relegated and in the second finished in the upper half then joined Loja in Segunda Division B and got them promoted to Adelante in the second season. We are currently getting an absolute murdering having lost all 3 opening games 3 or 4 nil....could be a long season.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The last FM I played was FM12 and even then I only did one career for a five years before stopping - I don't have the time/attention span these days

In that career though, as Brighton...
1st season: 10th in C'ship
2nd season: 2nd in C'ship
3rd season: 14th in prem
4th season: 4th in prem
5th season: Won the prem

All courtesy to some very shrewd signings, tactics and a healthy dose of luck too

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Only tend to buy FM every other year.

Have played over 600 hours on FM13 as Brighton. Current save: 1st season we got promoted as champions(with no extra signings) & won the league cup. Have since won the FA Cup 5 times, Europa league once, Champions League 4 times & the prem 6 times. Was offered the England job in my 4th season, took it & have one both the world cup & euros.
Created my own tactics & Set pieces which took a while for the players to learn but it was all worth it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here