Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Any Flashers on Here? I Need Help.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think you'll find it is mandatory over here but never enforced. Highway code rule 264.

The AA Research team a couple of years ago found out through an extensive survey, just why so many drivers trundle along in the outer lanes when not overtaking.

Surprisingly, it wasn't: "I'm doing the speed limit, others can do one".

Instead the majority were because :
1. Nervous driving on dual carriageways and changing lanes, so they stick to one lane for the journey; or
2. Find it tiresome constantly having to indicate and change lanes.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
The AA Research team a couple of years ago found out through an extensive survey, just why so many drivers trundle along in the outer lanes when not overtaking.

1. Nervous driving on dual carriageways and changing lanes, so they stick to one lane for the journey; or

Interesting response.

Don’t quite get reason 1. Did it drill down into the reasons why they felt nervous?

Can understand reason 2. Roads are so congested these days it can be a real pain changing lane frequently, particularly on motorways where pulling in can condemn you to sitting in the slow(er) lane for some time.

As I’m now retired and time is less of an issue, I’m considerably more relaxed about driving fast or more aggressively but, when I was younger and faced with a 2 hour plus commute each day.........!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting response.

Don’t quite get reason 1. Did it drill down into the reasons why they felt nervous?

Can understand reason 2. Roads are so congested these days it can be a real pain changing lane frequently, particularly on motorways where pulling in can condemn you to sitting in the slow(er) lane for some time.

As I’m now retired and time is less of an issue, I’m considerably more relaxed about driving fast or more aggressively but, when I was younger and faced with a 2 hour plus commute each day.........!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding (1), I can't remember them expanding on that. But I've worked with very nervous drivers (usually people who took their test later than when young), who hated driving on motorways.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I drive 3 cars regularly and from this, I have deduced the following.

If you want to drive a fast car, drive an old classic sports car. No one flashes when you overtake and everyone lets you out. You can then floor it by way of a thank you :thumbsup:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not flashing so much, the vehicle behind you tooting the horn before the traffic lights are green :tosser: a regular occurrence in London no bloody patience.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is interesting. A year ago I traded in my unassuming saloon car for something a bit sportier. It's been happening more since then....

It’s called green eye, the Brits are world class at it...you flash *******.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I drive 3 cars regularly and from this, I have deduced the following.

If you want to drive a fast car, drive an old classic sports car. No one flashes when you overtake and everyone lets you out. You can then floor it by way of a thank you :thumbsup:

Good advice. The next time I'm unsure of which of my three cars to drive, I'll go with the classic sports car. :thumbsup:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Think you'll find it is mandatory over here but never enforced. Highway code rule 264.

I think there's one major flaw in the UK road rules for multi-lane roads:

1. It is mandatory to keep to the left if not overtaking. [That's fine]

2. It is an offence to overtake someone who sits in the right hand lane using any of the left hand lanes. [Here's the problem]

Because of Rule 2, it creates a situation where a vehicle sat in the right hand lane (a very common problem on the M25) can cause a bottle neck in all other lanes (because following traffic is worried about rule 2) OR forces following traffic to break that rule in order to overtake. The driver on the right may even consider that, if they are seen by the police, they have a plausible defence by stating "I couldn't change back to the left lanes because people were breaking the law overtaking me on the left".

Compare to Australia's laws:

1. It is mandatory to keep to the left if not overtaking. It's actually signposted clearly and regularly on multi-lane roads.

2. It is illegal to be *overtaken* on the left. The driver in the right hand land is considered at fault, because they are clearly in breach of rule 1 if they are being overtaken on the left.

As a result, drivers in Australia are far more likely to return to the left hand lanes and stay there unless they are actually over taking.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
The way some people change when they get behind the wheel is fascinating to me. I think there have been documentaries on it. How some completely placid and gentle people turn into raging terrors when driving.

I like to think I am generally calm behind the wheel. That is, unless I am late for the football. I then change into a crazed lunatic.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

2. It is an offence to overtake someone who sits in the right hand lane using any of the left hand lanes. [Here's the problem]

Because of Rule 2, it creates a situation where a vehicle sat in the right hand lane (a very common problem on the M25) can cause a bottle neck in all other lanes (because following traffic is worried about rule 2) OR forces following traffic to break that rule in order to overtake. The driver on the right may even consider that, if they are seen by the police, they have a plausible defence by stating "I couldn't change back to the left lanes because people were breaking the law overtaking me on the left".

1. It is mandatory to keep to the left if not overtaking. It's actually signposted clearly and regularly on multi-lane roads.

2. It is illegal to be *overtaken* on the left. The driver in the right hand land is considered at fault, because they are clearly in breach of rule 1 if they are being overtaken on the left.

As a result, drivers in Australia are far more likely to return to the left hand lanes and stay there unless they are actually over taking.

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol: naaaahh...!

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
When Mrs Igzilla got her new transit van for work, she really noticed the the difference around Worthing in how she was treated by other road users. People assume she's going to drive like a moron, so they get in first.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

And France, Austria, Italy, et al.

It works.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

My MIL has been driving longer than I have known her, 30 years yet she will only drive to 2 places ;
A) daughter no. 1 as she has been there before
B) daughter no. 2 as she has been there before

She has never driven to daughter no. 3's house. I am married to daughter no. 3, so this is a bonus. [emoji3]

She will still not drive on a motorway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My MIL has been driving longer than I have known her, 30 years yet she will only drive to 2 places ;
A) daughter no. 1 as she has been there before
B) daughter no. 2 as she has been there before

She has never driven to daughter no. 3's house. I am married to daughter no. 3, so this is a bonus. [emoji3]

She will still not drive on a motorway.

I worked for a firm where if driving to a client's involved a motorway, one of us had to take the 50 year old nervous women in our car. Don't think she ever drove on motorways due to the phobia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here