Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any fans of Rory Gallagher on here?

A great great guitarist and a gentleman - and always a consummate and consistent stage performer, Rory died on the operating table at 47 years of age.
A true loss to music - but he has video clips by the hundreds on youtube, so at least we can reminisce.

He's available for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - and deserves it in my opinion, overdue in fact.

You can also add a vote, if you are a fan;
Petition Get Rory Gallagher inducted into the Rock''Roll Hall of Fame.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I wholeheartedly agree with you. His tragically early death robbed us of one of our greatest blues/rock guitarists.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Wonderful, was only playing (yet another) downloaded version of Bullfrog Blues last night....

Irish Tour '74 - what an Album!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Heard him on Planet Rock a few times and he sounds alright.....much better than Dire Straits who seem to have photocopied some of his stuff for their own use.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Wonderful, was only playing (yet another) downloaded version of Bullfrog Blues last night....

Irish Tour '74 - what an Album!

Indeed it is, and it's actually my favourite live album of all time (how fantastic is 'Walk On Hot Coals' & 'As The Crow Flies'?! Amazing stuff.).

I had the pleasure of seeing Rory perform many times & he was always absolutely bloody brilliant. Although it's all rather late, tokenistic & ultimately unimportant IMO, his omission from the so-called 'Rock and Roll Hall of Fame' is nothing short of criminal. Needless to say I'll be adding my name to the petition.

ps Cheers for the heads-up Mr H. :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
GHreat guitarist - really great. Great tragedy (musically) for him was when Taste broke up. In Taste, he wasn't the only creative force, but when he formed his own band, it was with three very competant musicians, but three musicians that had little or no input. The Irish Tour Album was a cracker (I've got it on vinyl), and the guitar playing is so fantastic it is hard to believe it is a live album at times.
....but, going to a Rory Gallagher concert (usually three hours worth, it seemed) got a bit repetitive - Rory plays 12 bar on electric guitar, then Rory plays 12 bar on acoustic guitar, then on National Steel guitar, then - as far as I can remember - probably on mandolin as well.............so that by the end, you just started wishing that there was someone working with him (as opposed to for him), just to shift his perspective and bring out his incredible talent on something a bit different.
Listen to a couple of hours of Rory Gallagher and his band, then listen to Morning Sun (bt Taste) and you may see what I mean.
OK, Rory Gallagher devotees will probaly shoot me down, but that is my opinion. Don't get me wrong - he was one of the greatest guitarists I've ever seen - but back in the 70's, if anybody should have joined forces with someone else to form a 'Supergroup' (and OK, I know they weren't always that successful (think Humble Pie) - but there could have been so much more.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Do you mean Roy Gallagher ? That was the name on the ticket for the gig at The Dome around the time of "Deuce". I wish I'd kept the ticket stub. I would have loved to have seen Taste. "On the boards" Was truly exceptional.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
True talent obsessed with his music. His brother's committment to his brother's legacy has fortunately led to a fair few posthumous dvd and audio only releases of real quality.

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Played with him (sort of)

When I was 16/17yrs old I played in a School band and our Drama teacher arranged for us to record a few tracks at Tangerine Studio's in London (Mike Batt of Wombles fame) produced the Album. Rory was also recording in one of the studio's and during a break came and jammed with us!!! What a magical experiance, will never forget it and is my only claim to fame! 'I ONCE PLAYED WITH RORY GALLAGHER'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here