Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any electricians out there? Please?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's a simple one, oh fountain of knowledge that is NSC.

I've a double plug socket with a 4 plug extension lead connected to 1 of the sockets.

Is it ok to add a further 4 plug extension to the other plug socket?

My electrics are old.
There's no circuit breaker or anything like that.
But at no point would all 8 appliances be used at once.
TV, sound bar, Sky, Wii, PS3, lamps.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've a double plug socket with a 4 plug extension lead connected to 1 of the sockets.

Is it ok to add a further 4 plug extension to the other plug socket?

My electrics are old.
There's no circuit breaker or anything like that.
But at no point would all 8 appliances be used at once.
TV, sound bar, Sky, Wii, PS3, lamps.
Yes, no problem. You're not drawing a lot of current with those things anyway.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Another one for the NSC sparkies. Changing the bathroom light. Taken the old light off. New light says it needs to be earthed. There is no earth wire coming out of the hole in the ceiling.
Um.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
what sort of cable is coming out of the ceiling?

This sort.

IMAG0262.jpgIMAG0264.jpg

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
Oh dear, you might be lucky and find that above the ceiling there are more connectors or even a joint box, where someone has put up the fitting you have just taken down, because the red and black have heat resistant sleeving on them. If you make the hole in ceiling slightly bigger you might(if they are there) pull the other cables down. If not you can run a 4.0mm green and yellow earth wire from your bathroom light earth terminal and connect it to another earth point, ie back to the fuse board or a socket or maybe a immersion heater point, however an all plastic fitting would be better which has a enclosed lamp in it, but the regulations say that all wiring and fittings within a bathroom should be on a rcd to afford a quick disconnection on fault conditions. If your wiring has no earth wire I would seriously consider rewiring your lights at least, because you might have metal light fittings and switches maybe elsewhere in your house .

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Oh dear, you might be lucky and find that above the ceiling there are more connectors or even a joint box, where someone has put up the fitting you have just taken down, because the red and black have heat resistant sleeving on them. If you make the hole in ceiling slightly bigger you might(if they are there) pull the other cables down. If not you can run a 4.0mm green and yellow earth wire from your bathroom light earth terminal and connect it to another earth point, ie back to the fuse board or a socket or maybe a immersion heater point, however an all plastic fitting would be better which has a enclosed lamp in it, but the regulations say that all wiring and fittings within a bathroom should be on a rcd to afford a quick disconnection on fault conditions. If your wiring has no earth wire I would seriously consider rewiring your lights at least, because you might have metal light fittings and switches maybe elsewhere in your house .

Right you are. Thank you. Anyone have a number for an electrician in the Portslade area?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here