Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any cyclers on here?

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
Hi everyone, need some advice on cycling!

Was talking to a few mates at the weekend and we decided on doing something for charity, and thought cycling to Paris would be a good idea (none of us know much about cycling.. yet)

I cycle to work every day, unless its really windy or pissing rain, I live in Worthing and work in Hove

Any tips? I need to get a better bike but dont want to spend too much on one so will probably get a second hand one for now..

Has anyone done the cycle to Paris? Need as much help as possible because as I said none of us know much about cycling!! Thanks :)

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
182714_171878362858457_171256692920624_347206_8260981_n.jpg

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Hi everyone, need some advice on cycling!

Was talking to a few mates at the weekend and we decided on doing something for charity, and thought cycling to Paris would be a good idea (none of us know much about cycling.. yet)

I cycle to work every day, unless its really windy or pissing rain, I live in Worthing and work in Hove

Any tips? I need to get a better bike but dont want to spend too much on one so will probably get a second hand one for now..

Has anyone done the cycle to Paris? Need as much help as possible because as I said none of us know much about cycling!! Thanks :)

Do you know that you can't cycle on water?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Here are a few pointers.... Don't bother with lights on your bike, ignore One Way street signs if you want, in fact ignore most signs, full stop.
Feel free to weave between the pavements and the road, car drivers and pedestrians understand that you are an eco-God doing your bit for the environment.
If the car in front of you indicates to turn left across you, it is acceptable to keep going and undertake the car just as it turns. Hey ! you are on a bike after all.
Pedestrian crossings are a way for car drivers and pedestrians to wait for their turns to have prioroty on the road, remember that this facility is just for cars and pedestrians and that the signals do not apply to you.

If a mad car driver nearly hits you when weaving, going through red lights or cutting him up, you are quite within your rights to stop, kick his car or physically assault him.

Hope this helps.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
Here are a few pointers.... Don't bother with lights on your bike, ignore One Way street signs if you want, in fact ignore most signs, full stop.
Feel free to weave between the pavements and the road, car drivers and pedestrians understand that you are an eco-God doing your bit for the environment.
If the car in front of you indicates to turn left across you, it is acceptable to keep going and undertake the car just as it turns. Hey ! you are on a bike after all.
Pedestrian crossings are a way for car drivers and pedestrians to wait for their turns to have prioroty on the road, remember that this facility is just for cars and pedestrians and that the signals do not apply to you.

If a mad car driver nearly hits you when weaving, going through red lights or cutting him up, you are quite within your rights to stop, kick his car or physically assault him.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help... is it worth getting a helmet or should I not bother? Aparently they are uncomfortable and make your head itch. Also I heard tyres are just a burden, along with brake cables.

Also, if I'm cycling in France, and a guy (or indeed a gal!) indicated to go RIGHT, as I will be on the right, should I proceed to undertake if they indicate to go right? Or if they indicate to go left should I go onto their left side and try my hardest to cut them up?

ALSO, should I cycle on the left or the right in France? Or in the middle? Your help is much appreciated!!

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They were going to bridge to France but it only got a few metres off shore. Most cycles do not fare very well on water. Better to go my pedalo and pedal up the Seine until you see a giant metal tower.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If the car in front of you indicates to turn left across you, it is acceptable to keep going and undertake the car just as it turns. Hey ! you are on a bike after all..

Unfortunately too many cars turning left think they own the road and turn without even looking to check for cyclists. Tres dangereux

20 pages. (very little of it about cycling to Gay Paris)

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
They were going to bridge to France but it only got a few metres off shore. Most cycles do not fare very well on water. Better to go my pedalo and pedal up the Seine until you see a giant metal tower.

I could try and jump it? I will make sure im wearing armbands :cool:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks for the help... is it worth getting a helmet or should I not bother? Aparently they are uncomfortable and make your head itch. Also I heard tyres are just a burden, along with brake cables.

Also, if I'm cycling in France, and a guy (or indeed a gal!) indicated to go RIGHT, as I will be on the right, should I proceed to undertake if they indicate to go right? Or if they indicate to go left should I go onto their left side and try my hardest to cut them up?

ALSO, should I cycle on the left or the right in France? Or in the middle? Your help is much appreciated!!

Yes, get a helmet, it would be quite useful in the event of an accident, more power in swinging a helmet than hitting someone with a fist. Brakes , apparently, are an optional extra to fit/use at your discretion.

I would not advise weaving all over the road for a Frenchman's left turn, stay on the right and save your valuable energy for shouting and swearing at any car or pedestrian who trys to slow or impede your progress by misguidedly following the French equivalent of The Highway Code.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yes, get a helmet, it would be quite useful in the event of an accident, more power in swinging a helmet than hitting someone with a fist. Brakes , apparently, are an optional extra to fit/use at your discretion.

A D-locks packs more punch with car drivers who turn left without checking their inside mirror.

:thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A D-locks packs more punch with car drivers who turn left without checking their inside mirror.

:thumbsup:

The problem would never arise if you pretended you were driving a car not a bike. If you are in a car and the car in front indicates a left turn it is common sense to brake just as much as the car in front brakes in order to make the turn and to avoid a collision. Keeping going would involve an awful lot of insurance claims every day, yet somehow it is regarded as being a sissy or a weakling to slow down while Cycling ?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Great idea, quite fancy it myself.
Try to get a 2nd hand touring bike, you may wish to lug some camping gear with you. Not too many hills en route so no need for a lot of gears.
Once into france you'll find all road users tend to be aware of and considerate to cyclists, and when you stop people are happy to help out.
Across much of europe all road signals are considered a suggestion rather than a rule so no-one will get irrationally angry when you pootle through a red light at an empty junction at a reckless 3mph.
Definitely get lights, even if you dont plan to cycle at night visibility can be minimal in rain and fog.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for the confidence Bob!

Cycling to Paris is a piece of pi$$ (not that I've ever done it :lol:)

There is a cycle route from the Channel ports and tunnel, that all link up and deliver you to the Effiel Tower.
It's a carbon copy of the rail link, namely it's super smooth and well planned over there, but it's a pot hole ridden mine field, this side.

With that in mind I'd say most bikes would be up for the job, assuming you don't want to break any records, just put the thinnest possible tyres on your bike.
Gears aren't going to be that much of an issue.
A good service from The Cycle Store (opposite the aquarena), and your away.

As you can see in this forum every other expedition ends in Paris, all your questions will be answered here:-

BikeRadar.com Expedition

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here