Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Computer Whizz Kids On Here ?

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
As yesterday the weather was so crap I was on my laptop all day, the laptop was "seemingly" working ok as usual. Had virus checkers running ok. I turned it off as per usual then tried to turn it on a couple of hours later. For whatever reason Windows wont start up properly and I've tried loading up some of the options available at start up using the F8 button. When i turn the laptop on I get a couple of options ... one is start up windows normally and the other leads to a Startup Repair program (recomended it says !) . Basically start up windows normally option doesnt work and eventually reboots and same screen appears, this seems to happen to the few different modes available when selecting F8 at booting up. Have tried the Startup repair program and although it seems to be doing something I have had it running for upto 5 hrs and it still hasnt solved anything or seemingly done anything.

Has anyone got any ideas how to solve this problem as its really P***ing me off now.

When I bought the laptop new Windows and Office etc were already loaded onto the harddisc and only disc i got with it contains drivers and utilities programmes i think.

Thanks for reading and to anyone who can help ?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
had exactly the same thing on my missus' laptop.
turned out the hard drive had burnt out

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
PM Laptop Ell (formally Hotlips 69) He's your man.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
sounds like you got either a hardware or software conflict,to do a factory restore, Google your make as each brand use a different key buttons, i know acer is <Alt> <F10> just before it boots up, if you done a system back up and have a disc then you should restore you laptop to that date.

Last edited:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Is it Windows 7 and if so did you install service pack 1? I have had no end of problems when appliying sp1 to Win7 and it can cause real problems. Do you get anything displayed on the screen the fact you have done F8 imlies there is something so hopefully your Hard disk is OK. Have you changed any hardware lately if so it might be a driver. Can you restore from the last working restore point or statup in compatibility mode?

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Is it Windows 7 and if so did you install service pack 1? I have had no end of problems when appliying sp1 to Win7 and it can cause real problems. Do you get anything displayed on the screen the fact you have done F8 imlies there is something so hopefully your Hard disk is OK. Have you changed any hardware lately if so it might be a driver. Can you restore from the last working restore point or statup in compatibility mode?

It is Windows 7. Yesterday the whole laptop was working fine , turn it off then later turned it on again then have problems ... it comes up with a "Windows Error Recovery" screen ....... has 2 options ... start windows normally and launch start up repair .... if i start windows normally option the windows icon appears , then a pause and then a blue screen appears then disappears then it resets and comes back to the Windows Error Recovery screen. . If i do launch start up repair , after a long time of searching it says there is a problem with the hard disc. Basically every option i try (f8 etc) i always somehow end up back in the Windows Error Recovery loop. When i bought the laptop in november the only disc with it was a dell utitilities and drivers disc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here