Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Any Christ's Hospital former alumni frequenting this parish?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I have a friend whose daughter went there and did very well, now studying Medicine at Kings. My old boss's wife worked there and we went for an evening to see a show. Very good. However, we were thinking of sending Igzilla Jr there, but we felt that the strong militaristic theme (marching bands at breakfast etc) and the pervasive Christianity wasn't the best environment for him. You have to pick the right school for the child. Definitely not for us, but it's all horses for courses. We are very happy in the state sector and would never dream of sending him to a private school (Mrs Igzilla went to one and it was dreadful).

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
It would be a shame if he did as he's unaware of the circumstances surrounding the application and clearly unaware of the structure of the school.

1967-8. In for the 11 plus a year early at Manor Hall Primary in Southwick. Head teacher George Young suggested to my parents that I was entered for a West Sussex County Council scholarship there. Both leapt at the idea, having left school at 15 and 16 respectively and being the very epitome of the aspirational postwar generation. As I was doing both exams my father was diagnosed with a brain tumour, and died slowly and horribly in front of us. Just before he went the news came through that I'd been accepted. 'My dying wish..' he said.
My mother left me there in September 1968, tears streaming down both our faces. It was a personal hell for both of us, the worst possible thing for me, I absolutely loathed the first few years there and the English teaching was by rote, which for a kid who had been writing poetry for years encouraged by school and parents was devastating. 'I'm not interested in your poetry.' 'Learn this off by heart instead.' It did better from 15 onwards, and my French and German teachers were really good, but overall it was a truly horrible experience in so many different ways. Two of the contemporaneous teachers have recently been sent down for child abuse.
But that was 50 years ago. I know it's different now, and the ethos to give kids from poor/single parent/'difficult' backgrounds a start in life is in many ways a noble one, though IMO it should not be done through 'charity' but by the state system. Personally, though, I'd have been far happier at my local secondary school as I was at my primary school, at home with my mum and my friends. It was the wrong place at the wrong time. Imagine going off to a place like that aged 10, 3 months after your dad has died a slow, lingering death. One of my few regrets in life is that I didn't run away and say to my mum 'I hate it - I'm never going back.' But though I have always been stroppy and headstrong I am also very loyal in adversity: it was my dad's dying wish, and so I saw it through.
And the uniform is complete bollocks. Imagine going to buy your bottles of Gold Label barley wine from the offie aged 14 wearing that:)

When my autobiography was published in 2015 I got an email from the head of English, asking if I'd like to read from it and talk about my time there. My reply was simple. 'You obviously haven't read it. Please do, and then invote me if you like, I'd be delighted to come.'
I didn't hear back!

Last edited:

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Lil Miss Stat has been provisionally accepted into the aforementioned illustrious establishment.

We're very excited for her, and are now wondering about what the future holds.

My daughter was there for two years. Left about 18 months ago. It's great for a certain type of kid, but very tough for others. DM me if you'd like to chat...

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Sorry to put a downer
My son hated every minute he was there and was home after
after a week it’s not for everyone I guess and I wish
lil mis stat all the best
Is she boarding as I see they now offer Day places?

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Dunno about Christs Hospital apart from the dodgy uniforms, but I went to King Edwards at Witley,, near Guildford, which is somehow part of the same foundation - plenty of God etc. As a small boy of 10 back in the fifties it remains the worst six years of my life. I too would have been far happier at (any!) school back home in Brighton. Funnily enough going back to an old boys day was on my bucket list, and I was stunned by the changes in the 60 years since I left - all for the better. But none of that will ever make up for those six years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here