Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any chance of promotion to PL gone

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Like most successful managers Hyypia needs to alter the tactics to the players he has not the other way round. The squad is not bad but he doesn't appear to know his best starting 11 and even drops players playing well. He wants his wide defenders to push high up the pitch, none of them are great at crossing but then he blames them for not getting back. He asks the midfield players to cover for the wide defenders effectively asking them to become wide defenders, which lets be honest if they were good in that position that's where they would be playing all the time. It's currently a disjointed muddle, at best!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I predict a 2nd automatic place for us this season.

Mark my words.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
David Burke is still at the club, he is responsible for putting together the list of players that the manager has the final veto over.

We seem to have written off Baldock, COG, McCourt, Texiera, Bennett, Stockdale and co already. Some will be okay, some will be a bit rubbish, it's always been that way. For every Bridcutt and Ulloa 'signed' by Poyet, detractors can point to a CMS, Billy Paynter, Holroyd, Hoskins etc.

CMS will be well chuffed with you comparing him to those 3

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Agree 100%. It's TB's opinion that counts.

As for presenting rubbish, why not give the players a chance? They may be rubbish, but COG and Baldock have both scored goals at this level before, McCourt can run rings around defences, and Texiera has shown the ups and downs of youth. Stockdale has had little to do, Bennett is looking weak, but it's early days surely?

Interesting isn't it. COG and Baldock already written off after 3 games despite a decent record at this level; yet letting Murray go - at the time a journeyman player who'd never even played above the 3rd tier - was an obvious mistake that any fool could see at the time.

It's easy to be an expert in hindsight.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Interesting isn't it. COG and Baldock already written off after 3 games despite a decent record at this level; yet letting Murray go - at the time a journeyman player who'd never even played above the 3rd tier - was an obvious mistake that any fool could see at the time.

It's easy to be an expert in hindsight.
Any club with ambition does not let it`s leading goal scorer go,Southampton are reaping the rewards of keeping lambert and the scum have us to thank for their promotion

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is that the Lambert who plays for Liverpool now?
That was after Southampton had banked the promotion in a previous season.

The point is a good one. We need to stop selling our best players if we have genuine ambition of promotion.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
No where near prem

Like most successful managers Hyypia needs to alter the tactics to the players he has not the other way round. The squad is not bad but he doesn't appear to know his best starting 11 and even drops players playing well. He wants his wide defenders to push high up the pitch, none of them are great at crossing but then he blames them for not getting back. He asks the midfield players to cover for the wide defenders effectively asking them to become wide defenders, which lets be honest if they were good in that position that's where they would be playing all the time. It's currently a disjointed muddle, at best!
This

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The golden chance went with the second Palace tie. For which Poyet should never be forgiven. Downward spiral's kicked in now. Might be some time before that kind of opportunity comes round again.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
That was after Southampton had banked the promotion in a previous season.

The point is a good one. We need to stop selling our best players if we have genuine ambition of promotion.

And Glenn did not want to leave, we gave him away for the sake of 3 grand a week:albion2:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
The golden chance went with the second Palace tie. For which Poyet should never be forgiven. Downward spiral's kicked in now. Might be some time before that kind of opportunity comes round again.

About 35 years i would say,unless the way the club is being run by the directors changes:albion2:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Any club with ambition does not let it`s leading goal scorer go,Southampton are reaping the rewards of keeping lambert and the scum have us to thank for their promotion

How many league goals did Murray score in his first season for Palace? Oh............SIX. I didn't hear you bitching about his goalscoring prowess that season, I wonder why?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Promotion to the PL was realistic while we had a goal scoring striker called Glenn , but we gave him to the enemy and he got them promoted instead.It took a while but it looked like we found a replacement in bargain basement Ulloa but we then sold him to the 1st club that came sniffing because it was good business .35 years ago under a different chairman we reached the top flight ,Tony has done a brilliant job financing the ground and training facility, but fans must get realistic, we will not reach the top flight again all the while the club is being run as it is now.:albion2:

If it means we lose the pathetic fans who think we have a God given right to be up there or always challenging for automatic promotion and always finding fault, moaning and generally being negative and anything less is a failure (despite 10 teamsa recieving more money than us due to parachute payments) - would it a bad thing, i don't think so?

Any time you want to enter the real world and accept the Albion for what it actually is and not the fantasy version, then you'd be welcomed back but the constant moaning, complaining, whinging, etc is getting very dull and old now.

We are still early into the season, and other teams have put on a late run (Reading after they signed Jason Roberts in January, Palace several seasons ago) and made it or at least the play-offs, so it's too early to write us off.

I personally am happy to watch us in the Champoinship, if we go up, great and if we don't then great also.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Remind me, how many games in to the season are we?

Good grief.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Palace grabbed that opportunity and are doing ok in the PL. That was our chance and Poyet's appalling ego-centric behaviour scuppered our ambitions. We could be facing a long spell out of contention and may even have to drop a division before fighting our way back again. In recent years, Soton, Norwich and Wolves have all had a dose of Div 1 and come back stronger.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The rewriting of Poyet's contribution of the Albion's relative success never ceases to amaze me.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
The rewriting of Poyet's contribution of the Albion's relative success never ceases to amaze me.

I would be very interested to read your version of his success for the club.
Although he let us down badly at the end, you cannot take away how he turned us from a relegation side, into a League 1 winning team and gain our highest position in the Championship since the seventies. ,

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I would be very interested to read your version of his success for the club.
Although he let us down badly at the end, you cannot take away how he turned us from a relegation side, into a League 1 winning team and gain our highest position in the Championship since the seventies. ,

He did a great job. As for the Palace humiliation, anyone who claims he didn't want to go up needs their bumps felt. He was on a £250k bonus for promotion, and could have then walked away with an enhanced reputation to another club, so it would have been crazy not to have focussed on victory.

His post match comments were petty, but he was clearly emotional, and are jumped upon by his detractors as evidence of not wanting us to go up. They conveniently ignore that we had previously been on a ten match unbeaten run.

It's equally ludicrous to suggest the players weren't interested, as the player pool for promotion was £4 million.

The players froze on the night, Wayne Bridge went missing for the first goal when he should have been trailing Zaha, and Speroni made a great save from Barnes when it was still 0-0. Tight games like that are won and lost on small things like that, we were the better team in the first leg, Palace were better in the second, and they took their chances, unlike Dean Hammond at Selhurst.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here