Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any carpenters actually want any work?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Must admit that I thought £180 a day was a bit much, but apparently not. Guessing that most carpentry is indoors, so that makes about 48k per year allowing for 4 weeks holiday, not too bad for being self employed and claiming an awful lot of tax breaks.

No holiday pay though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No holiday pay though.

Sick pay..etc etc

I had three doors hung early January and started looking for a chippie beginning of November thinking that January would be a quiet month for them, how wrong I was and £180 seems the standard ..guy worked hard and did a good job so I got value for my money

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Any local carpenters on here or can anyone recommend one to do a job for me near Eastbourne?

Have emailed 3 local carpenters and not one has bothered to get back to me in over a week which is disappointing. The economy must be thriving post brexit vote.

Just on the flip side a prospective customer emailed me Sunday evening and wondered why I hadn't got back to them by 9 Monday morning :moo:

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I had 2 fitted wardrobes last year & got 4 quote. Prices ranged from £1k to £3k

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had a similar problem. I had a combi boiler which has an intermittent fault, I looked it up online and found that it could be tricky to fix as it could be down to several problems, however, all fixable if you knew what you were doing. So, I phoned a Gas-safe Plumber on Check-a-trade who had a fantastic reputation according to his feedback and he said " Fine, send me your problem and details in an email, it's on my website and i'll tell you when I can come. "..... 3 e-mails and no reply. Yes, I checked the e-mail was correct. Maybe its easier to get good feedback ratings by fixing dripping taps and draining rads ?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Just on the flip side a prospective customer emailed me Sunday evening and wondered why I hadn't got back to them by 9 Monday morning :moo:

Sounds liken my customers at work. I have left it about 10 days which you would think would be plenty of time for them to get back to me. I won't be chasing them though. If they wanted the work they would get back to me. I have had a couple of PM's with contacts during this thread so fingers crossed.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I had a similar problem. I had a combi boiler which has an intermittent fault, I looked it up online and found that it could be tricky to fix as it could be down to several problems, however, all fixable if you knew what you were doing. So, I phoned a Gas-safe Plumber on Check-a-trade who had a fantastic reputation according to his feedback and he said " Fine, send me your problem and details in an email, it's on my website and i'll tell you when I can come. "..... 3 e-mails and no reply. Yes, I checked the e-mail was correct. Maybe its easier to get good feedback ratings by fixing dripping taps and draining rads ?

Most of the feedback on checkatrade is cherry picked or made up. How often do you see bad reviews on there.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
It took me 15 calls to get a plumber, a couple of years ago. I did have more luck with 'Rated People' though. You advertise the job and tradesmen contact you if they're interested.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Most of the feedback on checkatrade is cherry picked or made up. How often do you see bad reviews on there.

Indeed... If someone only cherry picks the easy work they never get a bad review

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Must admit that I thought £180 a day was a bit much, but apparently not. Guessing that most carpentry is indoors, so that makes about 48k per year allowing for 4 weeks holiday, not too bad for being self employed and claiming an awful lot of tax breaks.

And keep going till you're 65. Give it a try mate if you want.
Running a van, public liabiabilities, pricing at nights, getting rained off and explaining to everyone why you're behind. I've just done a 16 hr day today and I am ****ed.
But I don't have to answer to complete twunts...........that much is true.

Last edited:

Pickles

May 5, 2014

The nasty self employed make fortunes.
Yep, they make £180 a day, 365 days a year.
They have no business to set up and work just comes to them on the first day.
They have no vans to run, no thousands of equipment to buy, no insurances to buy and of course no Income tax or national to pay.
Of course they also get paid in full when they have a cold or bad back, or a sore head and ring in sick.
They also quite naturally don't have to generate their own work because they just wake up every day and someone has done it for them.

I agree with you. £180 a day is extortion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It took me 15 calls to get a plumber, a couple of years ago. I did have more luck with 'Rated People' though. You advertise the job and tradesmen contact you if they're interested.

Ask on NSC. I know a brilliant plumber who's an Albion fan. He's done two or three jobs for us. Thoroughly recommend him.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They have no vans to run, no thousands of equipment to buy, no insurances to buy and of course no Income tax or national to pay.
Of course they also get paid in full when they have a cold or bad back, or a sore head and ring in sick.
They also quite naturally don't have to generate their own work because they just wake up every day and someone has done it for them.

I haven't called anyone nasty, or mentioned extortion.

Think you might have a chip(pie) on your shoulder.......:whistle:

Your points apply to any business though, the shareholders (the owner if you're a sole trader) normally fund the start up costs, or maybe some borrowing if that suits but there's nothing stopping your business/company being structured to factor in sick and holiday pay arrangements. It's a matter of choice for you, I don't understand the apparent resentment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here