Any Buy to Let Experts? Good and Bad Experiences Sought

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Why does someone need more than one property ? A house is a home not something to make money out of

As I said earlier on this thread. The relationship between landlord and tenant can be mutually beneficial. We are not all Van Hoogstraten wannabes. Some people simply do not want to own a property and others know they will never be able to based on basic income and expenditure calculations. Yes I will get a decent return, but my tenant gets a property which is fully serviced by me in terms of repairs, essential electrics etc. at a below market rent.

I am not saying the system is flawless - it certainly isn't and there are those who abuse the system (on both sides) - but you are oversimplifying.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
BTL mortgages were introduced to create more rental properties, this should have had the effect of reducing rents as supply increased, unfortunately net migration of 250,000 people a year has somewhat filled the gap.
BTL landlords have had a good run, but when interest rates rise, many will be stuffed, you may resent them taking a profit out of your need for housing, but they are putting themselves at some risk.
Still, it is irritating when you think a Bricklayer is stuffing the cash he earned from building houses into the pockets of a landlord so that the landlord can then put a deposit down on the houses the Brickie is building, but cannot afford, and rent that one out to another low paid grafter.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thought about this several times but always backed out given several horror stories from friends of trashed properties and non-paying tenants.

One property is enough to worry about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
BTL mortgages were introduced to create more rental properties

Not true. They are a direct result of the introduction of shorthold tenancy agreements. This change in legislation swung the power from the tenant to the landlord overnight. As the power is now with the landlord it makes it more attractive for lenders to lend on rental property.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Why does someone need more than one property ? A house is a home not something to make money out of

I know a few people with more than one home but none let out. Generally they will be in different parts of the country for normal home, work residence and holiday homes.
Is that so wrong?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not true. They are a direct result of the introduction of shorthold tenancy agreements. This change in legislation swung the power from the tenant to the landlord overnight. As the power is now with the landlord it makes it more attractive for lenders to lend on rental property.

AST's have been around since 1988, BTL mortgages since 1996, that is a bit more than overnight.
Banks would not take the rental income received into consideration on a mortgage for a home prior to 1996, that is when BTL mortgages arrived, after the Association of Residential Letting Agents introduced them with some of the banks. You may question the motives of ARLA but at the time they promoted it as a way of increasing the number and quality of properties available to rent. If you wanted to borrow to buy to let out a house before that it would require a commercial mortgage, harder to acquire, would often involve security on other property and more expensive than residential mortgages.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I guess I got lucky in 87 buying my 1st flat for £33k paying the mortgage for 5 years and selling it for £29k.
What did i do after this unimpressive first go, moan and go renting? No, I jumped up to £90k level, sold for £290k later & bought higher

Yes you got lucky buying in 87. For those who were still at school back then it has been a lot harder to get on the ladder. I worked out I paid about 100k in rent before getting on the ladder. Working 50/60 hours a week evenings and weekends and going without, forgive me for thinking the buy to let market is for parasites.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Buy a house rather than a flat. Flats tend to have "management charges" to tidy communal areas that will eat into your profit margins. Be aware these management companies can change - and new companies can and do hike up their charges. You are at their mercy.
Also check the remaining lease length if you do buy a flat - I delayed on extending mine and it cost me a pretty penny.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
House prices are predicted by most to increase between 30/40% in next five years.....If anywhere near these figures you will make more out of capital appreciation than rental income...So Buy to let has to be good option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports