Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Any Brighton fans living in Vanuatu...

Digweed's Perm

Nov 1, 2009
Yep, famously a pointless answer - always got a cheer in my house. We lived out here for a year about 10 years ago, and moved back permanently in April this year. Beautiful place, nice people, spiders the size of your hand. So you know, pros and cons. I've been trying to educate the locals on the joys of Potterball, not much interest so far (although apparently people support England during the World Cup). Give me a few years to get the Vanuatu Seagulls fan club going...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I visited Fiji and New Caledonia when I lived in Sydney and loved both, though that was 20 years ago now :eek:

Never made it to Vanuatu but a lot of the Aussies I was working with had been on holiday and said it was great.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Come on then. We've all just looked it up on the map. If you are a criminal you get sent to Australia, so what the hell must you have done to be sent to some small remote place like that?

Digweed's Perm

Nov 1, 2009
Supporting some local education projects. Although the beautiful beaches, tropical climate and easy living have some compensations. On the flip side, it's a fairly lengthy trip to the Amex.

Digweed's Perm

Nov 1, 2009
Right. Although the giant centipedes are a 'challenge'. Plus, I like reggae, but could the bars just play something else occasionally?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Beautiful beaches? Tropical climate? Easy living? Where oh where did it all go wrong?

Try Shoreham, it's got a beach, just not so beautiful, a climate that's not tropical and got living without the easy bit.

Can't have everything. :shrug:

Dec 29, 2011
Right. Although the giant centipedes are a 'challenge'. Plus, I like reggae, but could the bars just play something else occasionally?

Is it safe? Do you get paid for your work? How did you get into your career/job?

There are lots of Vanuatuans in NZ, interestingly I learnt recently they grow up speaking three languages due to the colonisation history.

Digweed's Perm

Nov 1, 2009
Is it safe? Do you get paid for your work? How did you get into your career/job?

There are lots of Vanuatuans in NZ, interestingly I learnt recently they grow up speaking three languages due to the colonisation history.

Perfectly safe. You do need to be a bit careful going into the sea (like anywhere around here), as Marty says Stonefish are a bit nasty, jellyfish, that kind of thing. I've worked at universities abroad for the last few years (Middle East, Germany) so it's an extension of that.

The British/French shared the administration of the islands until around 1980, so in Vila people generally speak English or French, usually both. The Ni-Vanuatu people collectively speak a language called Bislama, an English Creole, which is really interesting - like a pirate mix of English (and some French) with a strong local accent. For example if something is broken its 'buggerup'. New objects are given literal translations - a 'bra' in Bislama is 'basket blong titties'. My favourite is the word for helicopter - 'mixmaster blong Jesus Christ', which you can sort of work out how they got there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here