Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Antonio Conte leaves Spurs

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I have no idea why they haven't come in and attempted to poach Paul Barber to come in and sort out their infrastructure. They clearly need to get their pretty big house in some kind of order. It's madness that they wouldn't prioritise getting things right behind the scenes, which would probably lead to more stability on the playing side of the club. They're a long way behind in many ways and they've been able to get by because the team has been good and they do attract top level managers, but that's just papering over the cracks of the club.

I think we're very dangerously poised to really catch them on the pitch - if we have a summer of shrewd investment and we continue to back winners with regards to the signings we do make then we could find ourselves in a position to overhaul them next season if we haven't already done so this time around. I'm hopeful their form is going to fall away even more than it already has been, but they could get a bounce from having someone less defensive managing the side. And so long as Kane is fit, they'll score goals.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we're very dangerously poised to really catch them on the pitch - if we have a summer of shrewd investment and we continue to back winners with regards to the signings we do make then we could find ourselves in a position to overhaul them next season if we haven't already done so this time around.
I agree, however I would expect to see Chelsea and Liverpool be far better next season than this, and Newcastle will continue to improve. For that reason I still think this season is a huge opportunity that may not be there in the future.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I agree, however I would expect to see Chelsea and Liverpool be far better next season than this, and Newcastle will continue to improve. For that reason I still think this season is a huge opportunity that may not be there in the future.
Completely - you have to take the opportunity that is available at the time. We deserve to be in the position that we're in and we're absolutely capable of continuing to push on and achieve something barely believable at the start of the season. I firmly believe the club is all in for achieving the absolute maximum we can in the here and now, the future will take of itself because we have excellent people keeping an eye on it. But for right now, this team is capable of continuing the charge and achieving something extraordinary this season - before the band is potentially broken up!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
before the band is potentially broken up!
That's the funny thing though isn't it? If you had told us a year or so ago who we would be losing over the next 12 months, we'd think the band had absolutely been broken up already and most of us would expect to be midtable at best now.

What a ludicrously well-run club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have no idea why they haven't come in and attempted to poach Paul Barber to come in and sort out their infrastructure. They clearly need to get their pretty big house in some kind of order. It's madness that they wouldn't prioritise getting things right behind the scenes, which would probably lead to more stability on the playing side of the club. They're a long way behind in many ways and they've been able to get by because the team has been good and they do attract top level managers, but that's just papering over the cracks of the club.

I think we're very dangerously poised to really catch them on the pitch - if we have a summer of shrewd investment and we continue to back winners with regards to the signings we do make then we could find ourselves in a position to overhaul them next season if we haven't already done so this time around. I'm hopeful their form is going to fall away even more than it already has been, but they could get a bounce from having someone less defensive managing the side. And so long as Kane is fit, they'll score goals.
Maybe they have - wouldn't necessarily be made public

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

I can’t see the prospect of working with Levy being a massive pull.

Sometimes you’re better off at a stable club, where you know you’re going to be trusted to get on with things and given freedom to make your own decisions,

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I can’t see the prospect of working with Levy being a massive pull.

Sometimes you’re better off at a stable club, where you know you’re going to be trusted to get on with things and given freedom to make your own decisions,
He’s already worked with/for Levy at Spurs, maybe that’s why they’ve never come in for him or if they have PBOBE has turned them down.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I wouldn't be worried about an approach for our PBOBE (to steal the term!) because what a life he must have built for himself here and the sky really is the limit - every time I think we're going to struggle to continue the forward momentum, we find ourselves right in the fight for top 4 going into April! Incredible and as @Notters mentioned - we're doing it despite the ravaging (and attempted ravaging) of our squad by the bigger lads trying to hold us back.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think Uncle Tony has previously been very shrewd with Paul Barber by making him Vice-Chairman.
As well as been handsomely paid, I guess he would also have a minor shareholding in the club which would be worth a fortune.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Levy is a control freak who performs most of the roles PB performs, working in essence for majority owner Joe Lewis. Plus having a huge say on footballing matters eg individual signings, diluting the influence of purported directors of football and heads of recruitment. PB would have a small brief with a busybody overriding his views.

@Kinky Gerbils and @Paxton Dazo would have the inside track on all this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Levy is a control freak who performs most of the roles PB performs, working in essence for majority owner Joe Lewis. Plus having a huge say on footballing matters eg individual signings, diluting the influence of purported directors of football and heads of recruitment. PB would have a small brief with a busybody overriding his views.

@Kinky Gerbils and @Paxton Dazo would have the inside track on all this.
Paul Barber has already been at Spurs.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Paul Barber has already been at Spurs.
And is a Spurs fan. Ask him about Leicester’s title win & how they cheated to get to the prem the season before (FFP) and you’ll see it come out in him!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Can't see Kane at Spuds next season, either of the two United's have the dosh to afford him and more importantly the potential to actually win something...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can't see Kane at Spuds next season, either of the two United's have the dosh to afford him and more importantly the potential to actually win something...
Newcastle have the potential to win something?

They need to spend a lot of money to do that.

That squad is still very average.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Eddie Howe did try to buy Harry Kane at Bournemouth many, many years ago before Kane was Kane. Maybe there is something in a Newcastle link but it would be a huge gamble for him to go to another club famous for not winning anything.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Eddie Howe did try to buy Harry Kane at Bournemouth many, many years ago before Kane was Kane. Maybe there is something in a Newcastle link but it would be a huge gamble for him to go to another club famous for not winning anything.
As opposed to staying with a club famous for not winning anything? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here