Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anticipated lower football attendances this season?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I’ve just spotted on the Albion ticket site that for our opening 4 home games of the season anyone with a fan number can buy 4 tickets each for the Luton, Newcastle and Bournemouth games and 2 tickets for the West Ham game.
With access to various economic models from experts on spending patterns I’m wondering if Premier League clubs have decided they need to start relaxing the limits on tickets.
I thought it would happen last season, but fans across the country still found money for football.
It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You may be right, but I'm not sure it's possible to make that call currently.

Early season games always see lower demand as it's school holiday season - lots of fans away doing other things with family etc.

It's also probably too early for many of those who buy individual match tickets to be thinking about football just yet.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’ve just spotted on the Albion ticket site that for our opening 4 home games of the season anyone with a fan number can buy 4 tickets each for the Luton, Newcastle and Bournemouth games and 2 tickets for the West Ham game.
With access to various economic models from experts on spending patterns I’m wondering if Premier League clubs have decided they need to start relaxing the limits on tickets.
I thought it would happen last season, but fans across the country still found money for football.
It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.
"Unfolds" may soon become the go-to word for attendance levels. One thing about bubbles is that they always break!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Unfolds" may soon become the go-to word for attendance levels. One thing about bubbles is that they always break!
Or burst.

Yes, deffo burst.

;)

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Still annoyed at two back-to-back home games at the end of August, which means I miss both because I’m abroad.
Why can’t it just be Home / Away rotation until postponements make it impossible?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You may be right, but I'm not sure it's possible to make that call currently.

Early season games always see lower demand as it's school holiday season - lots of fans away doing other things with family etc.

It's also probably too early for many of those who buy individual match tickets to be thinking about football just yet.
For UK fans that is undoubtedly true, but I'd have thought that the Amex's increasing popularity as a foreign tourist attraction may well take up much of that slack this coming season

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Also worth remembering none of them are big six

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I've never understood the need to have anything more than a fan number to buy a ticket.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Under normal circumstances I would imagine that most regular fans will be more excited about this season than any for a LOT of years meaning less no shows from STH and more match day tickets sold. However, balance that against the cost of living/mortgage rates etc and I'm really not sure :shrug:

As others have said, there's normally tickets easily available first few games.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Still annoyed at two back-to-back home games at the end of August, which means I miss both because I’m abroad.
Why can’t it just be Home / Away rotation until postponements make it impossible?
Been going over 45 years and always been like that. Usually there will be a couple of consecutive home games and same for away games (think last season we had 5 consecutive away games at one point). That said, I believe we were due to play Luton away but they will still be getting their ground up to standard.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
To be honest the season is coming round a little quickly and I have a bit of football fatigue as that run in was intense.

I'll be going to Luton and taking a pal and our daughters, but it's likely that I'll miss the next couple through family commitments/work.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
School holidays. Nothing more.

I expect when I visit in December it will be near impossible to get tickets since I’ve lived abroad for 8 years and have very minimal points.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I expect when I visit in December it will be near impossible to get tickets since I’ve lived abroad for 8 years and have very minimal points.
Depends on a multitude of variables. How close to Christmas is it? Is the game televised? Is it an evening kick-off? Are the bloody trains running? In short, I think you may well be pleasantly surprised

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
August games are a nightmare. Clashes with Bloodstock, Beautiful Days (if I go), my birthday and next year Taylor Swift. Too much happening in that month.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Buy an Albion+ membership at least a month before you come over

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Been going over 45 years and always been like that. Usually there will be a couple of consecutive home games and same for away games (think last season we had 5 consecutive away games at one point). That said, I believe we were due to play Luton away but they will still be getting their ground up to standard.
Same as (well 36 years as it goes), and I know it's a thing... but there are a few clubs who actually are on a Home / Away rotation for the first few weeks, so it's (selfishly) annoying that we're not.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Under normal circumstances I would imagine that most regular fans will be more excited about this season than any for a LOT of years meaning less no shows from STH and more match day tickets sold. However, balance that against the cost of living/mortgage rates etc and I'm really not sure :shrug:

As others have said, there's normally tickets easily available first few games.
I hope so, want to take my son to his first game on Aug 12th!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here