Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anti Virus software

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Had a new laptop for a month now and the Mcafee Anti virus is about to expire, 1 year is about £39 which seems to be an average price for any Anti virus/Malware package.

Any recommendations which is best? Im sure the free ones are no good or do they work?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why would anyone pay for anti virus? As mentioned AVG is great and Windows has a built in one.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've probably got an expensive one but AVG Ultimate VIP costs from £70 upwards, look for special offers. It works on up to 10 devices including mobiles and laptops. Give the free version a test run first.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
go free with Avast or AVG. Mcafee has been a notorious resource hog in the past, and Windows built in used to be poorly updated.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Windows Defender is more than fine these days. No need to spend any money.
Another vote for Windows security. I have never ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

1701976653031.png

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Just be careful of those tractor sites

phoenix

May 18, 2009
The best anti virus is totally free its called common sense.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Had a new laptop for a month now and the Mcafee Anti virus is about to expire, 1 year is about £39 which seems to be an average price for any Anti virus/Malware package.

Any recommendations which is best? Im sure the free ones are no good or do they work?
Never renew your existing subscription. Get a new code for a download from somewhere (Argos on line etc). I renewed mine recently for about £12-15 for 3 users for a year.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
As others have said, Windows Defender is absolutely fine for home use nowadays and there is no need for third party software any more. SME’s and larger businesses generally need a bit more protection but Windows Defender is one of the highlights of that operating system nowadays.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The best anti virus is totally free its called common sense.
It really isn't. About 20% of website links are malicious these days. The amount of times I've been on a page listing various outlets such as garden centres and a warning has come up when I followed a link. I'm pretty sure it even happened on a Yellow Pages site. My computer is like Fort Knox now.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Webroot, very lightweight. Nothing like Norton and McAfees

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here