Anti Steve Coppell

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
Anybody out there fed up with the anti Steve Coppell chants? He took us from being virtual certainties for relegation to a chance of staying up on the final day of the season. When he left us, he left us top of the Third Division with a team good enough to go on and win promotion. Despite leaving the club, he still actively supports the club in it's quest for Falmer, and has joined the pro Falmer marches. So why do people still hate him? Is it because of his past at Palace, or for going to Reading. If you were given the opportunity to further your career, would you have done the same?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If I had been in his boots at the time I would probably have done the same, he was a very good manager and I was extremely sad that he left...though we were in an automatic promotion slot when he did go, if my memory serves me right, it is more usual for a manager to leave with a team deep in the brown stuff.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Doesn't deserve abuse. A genuinely great manager. Don't think the vd chant should be taken seriously however.
Clearly he lacks the charisma of MM as he doesn't have devotees still fighting his corner.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The only thing I have against Coppell is his previous Palace connections. Ok so he didn't keep us up, but he gave it a damn good go.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
mona said:

Clearly he lacks the charisma of MM as he doesn't have devotees still fighting his corner.

People don't need to fight Coppell's corner, he is managing a top half of the Prem side.

MM is unemployed.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
i saw him on holiday a couple of years ago
after he had gone to reading
but still wearing his brighton kit
s oi think he still has something for us

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I don't think it's particularly aimed at Coppell. His name just fits very nicely into the song.

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
Sir Steve lives about 100 yards from me and I often see him walking around the cricket green .It is true he has fond memories of al his clubs but get over yourselves as he is Palace through and through.:bowdown:

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
gollum said:
Anybody out there fed up with the anti Steve Coppell chants? He took us from being virtual certainties for relegation to a chance of staying up on the final day of the season. When he left us, he left us top of the Third Division with a team good enough to go on and win promotion. Despite leaving the club, he still actively supports the club in it's quest for Falmer, and has joined the pro Falmer marches. So why do people still hate him? Is it because of his past at Palace, or for going to Reading. If you were given the opportunity to further your career, would you have done the same?

He soon f***ed off and took us down so achieved nothing in my eyes. He only come here to destroy us for all his little palace children, rumor has it he was employed by Simon Jordan to take us down. McGhee, Adams and Gritt achieved so much more than this muppet.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
macky said:
i saw him on holiday a couple of years ago
after he had gone to reading
but still wearing his brighton kit
s oi think he still has something for us

That doesn't even rhyme.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
MM is not unemployed.

He is resting.

Waiting for the Real McDrid job to become vacant.

Albion Dan said:
The song has always been Coppell and always will be.

I think you're right, but I do also recall singing "Ian Wright is..." when we lost to them in the ZDS trophy at the Goldstone.

Personally I'd like to go with "Simon Jordans illegitimate..." but history is history.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
alot of people were not too happy with him being appointed as manager in the first place so when he deserted us they just continued with their anti-coppell feelings that they had before-in my opinion he just saw us as an oppertunity to get ack in the big business, was he ever going to stay at us for more than a year-i think not....

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Never change the words. Why doesn't someone come up with a new chant that is anti-Jordan?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Coppell has got to be one the best managers of the last twenty years.

Apart from the odd episode at Man City he's been a success at every club. He took us from 4 points from 14 games to the brink of survival, Palace to third in the top division (who says you can't polish a turd?) and Reading into the Premiership.

But beacuse he is a quiet modest intelligent man he's ignored for the top jobs. If he was French or Spanish he'd be managing one of the big four.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports