Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anthony Knockaert

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Why? He was a star for us and we’re in England, he was a star for Leicester who are also in England.
I appreciate you’re a little hazy on everything Albion pre-Potter but Knocky was absolutely box office for us in our promotion chasing years, sublime skill, effort, energy and determination. I’ll never forgot the buzz at the Amex (in England) before the Sheff Weds play off game when the lineup was announced and he was starting, and he played his socks off.

Great post.
The fake swede doesn't have a clue what he's talking about as usual.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Such a gifted player, but also something of a lost soul.

Definitely some mental health issues - always looked so fragile and often swung from petulant and moody to very hyper and happy.

The fact he has suffered such personal tragedy has no doubt exacerbated his issues.

Great player and will always be in the hearts of the Albion faithful

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think since losing his Father, he lost some of his purpose. He lost his brother at a young age too. After our promotion, his wife left him and took their son back to France and he has admitted struggling with his mental health at that time, I don't think he is over any of those things.

No player can perform to their best if they are miserable/depressed.

Maybe, but I felt he had quite a “needy” character before his father died and his wife left him.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Don't get me wrong, Fulham fans and the club were well aware of his backstory and attributes and they're was an appreciation of the effort and passion he put in but his passing and shooting judgement and accuracy was poor and got worse.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why? He was a star for us and we’re in England, he was a star for Leicester who are also in England.
I appreciate you’re a little hazy on everything Albion pre-Potter but Knocky was absolutely box office for us in our promotion chasing years, sublime skill, effort, energy and determination. I’ll never forgot the buzz at the Amex (in England) before the Sheff Weds play off game when the lineup was announced and he was starting, and he played his socks off.

Yes I've seen quite a bit of him over the years and he is a thrilling player, and thats exactly why. Deserves more than to rot away on some Championship bench or to help some yoyo team get back up just to ditch him once there. So thats why I think he should perhaps move to another league were he can get more appreciation and (if moving to a non-top 5 league) even fight for titles and play in CL/EL.

He was EFL Player of the Championship in our 16/17 season. He is already a star getting Leicester and then us promoted.to the PL.

Yes, I understand that. But now its 2021 and he is probably not having fun at all.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Don't get me wrong, Fulham fans and the club were well aware of his backstory and attributes and they're was an appreciation of the effort and passion he put in but his passing and shooting judgement and accuracy was poor and got worse.

It doesn't surprise me to be honest. As others have said, when he's in confidence and form he's unplayable. The problem is (as we found towards the end of his time with us) when it's not working out, he tries to do more and more to force things to work and invariably they end up not being the right decisions. I watched him quite a few times for Fulham and it seemed like in his willingness to make something happen, often he overcomplicated it and lost the ball, forcing him to try harder next time with ever more fruitless results.

Frankly, I love him still and he's one of the finest players I've seen play for us. His form in the Championship was absolutely insane at times. Wherever he ends up, he needs an arm round his shoulder and some patience in a less high pressure environment for a while. I wish him nothing but the best

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
One of the best ever players I’d ever seen for Brighton in his time.

If he was ever 1 on 1 against a defender he was up the byline 90% of the time. I didn’t even know that was possible. It was just so easy for him.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think some people either have incredibly short memories, or are keen to be really, really harsh.

No Knockaert, no promotion. No Knockaert, no survival that first season. He's one of our best ever players and I hope things improve for him.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think since losing his Father, he lost some of his purpose. He lost his brother at a young age too. After our promotion, his wife left him and took their son back to France and he has admitted struggling with his mental health at that time, I don't think he is over any of those things.

No player can perform to their best if they are miserable/depressed.

This with cow bells, he was an absolute legend for us, and an integral part of our promotion push, yes he was greedy and you could get frustrated with his lack of looking up sometimes for a better pass, but boy did he get you excited every time he drove forward.

I hope he finds happiness in himself, that is the most important thing for him, the rest will follow.

Legend.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’m now of the view we got lucky with him. A player who can only perform in the right environment isn’t a very good player.

I think that's harsh. Players always play better in the right environment. In recent times, I believe that is why the vast majority of players peak at the Albion and so many don't seem to do as well elsewhere :albion2:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Yes I've seen quite a bit of him over the years and he is a thrilling player, and thats exactly why.

Didn't realise you were such a Leicester or Brighton fan. How many games did you get to see him in the Championship with us??

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think that's harsh. Players always play better in the right environment. In recent times, I believe that is why the vast majority of players peak at the Albion and so many don't seem to do as well elsewhere :albion2:

There aren't many who do better after they leave us.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A season at USG.

Close to home, at least in the orbit of the club he feels at home with, reduced pressure. He can teach the Japanese fella some out of his box of tricks

He can get his head back in football, then have another stab in England or France or stay in Belgium for the last years of his career

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Didn't realise you were such a Leicester or Brighton fan. How many games did you get to see him in the Championship with us??

Not that many. I've seen him play maybe 40 times but probably not more than four or five of them with Brighton.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Great performer for us in championship. Seemed to overnight go from a player that would take full back on both sides and drive into box to go to just stopping getting on left foot and crossing. Thats not enough even in championship.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
This. He's a delicate soul with a lot of talent, which only seems to surface when his tail is up. For that tail to be up he needs to feel loved and appreciated. He's in a vicious circle at the moment.

He's not a PL player, but he's a top Championship player. He's a Pukki, Cantwell, Billing etc. Too good for the Championship yet not quite good enough for the PL.

I will always love the guy. He wore his heart on his sleeve, loved the club and was a joy to watch when at his best.

This part. I feel Bruno had a lot to do with his game .On and off the field
I used to love the fear on the faces of the opposition as Bruno stuffed him an inch perfect pass, then he started the charge..

Cant seeing him doing that at a top championship club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here