Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ansu Fati **Signed On Loan 01/09**

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Every five weeks or so, Ansu Fati earns £1m. Over one year, he pockets £10m.

At the age of 21 he has already earned more money than he, and his extended entourage, could ever need.

I genuinely don’t see why he would be that bothered if his next contract earned him ‘only’ £50k a week.
I don’t think life works like that you are essentially asking someone who’s been on £100k a year for 5 years to do the same job for £25k a year it’s not going to happen.
Let take into consideration tax so he’s now down to £100k a week and probably has a life style built around that £100k a week just like the average person does with whatever wage they earn. £50k a week becomes £25k after tax that’s a big step down.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm pretty critical of Fati, but I totally accept injuries and inexperience will have played a part. As has being shunted out on the left.

The reason i'm critical is that I think we should expect a higher standard from loan players. If they aren't well ahead of what we've got, then let's not bother.

We're a buy young players and sell most of them type club yeh? So every time we're playing one, there's the opportunity cost. We're not bringing through one of our own.

So even though Colwill did well for us, I think it was a mistake. Van Hecke would be bossing it even more now had he had an extra season of PL experience.

And with Fati I think the same thing applies. Had he been exceptional, then yes, let's send Sarmiento on loan and look after the short term while we're in Europe. But even though he's offering us more than Sarmiento probably would now, we're better off bringing through our own.

There's also the opportunity cost in terms of money. That extra £10m or whatever the fee was, could have been spent on landing one of our targets. Again, a player we can play, bring through then sell if we need to
Possibly, or he could have made more mistakes and shown the door or he saw what happened and was more determined to play which made him better in long run.

Difficult to predict , personally think Colwill was not a bad decision and had he stayed would have been great part of the future partnership with an Hecke.

All opinions though,,,

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

At the age of 21 he has already earned more money than he, and his extended entourage, could ever need.

I genuinely don’t see why he would be that bothered if his next contract earned him ‘only’ £50k a week.

Because the number must always go up faster than the next man :glare:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Fati came here injured/post injury and started ok (given circumstances) then got a lot better then got injured again. In the time he was properly fit I thought he looked very good.

To me the issue is his level of fitness and ability to maintain it not whether he is good enough....

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I don’t think life works like that you are essentially asking someone who’s been on £100k a year for 5 years to do the same job for £25k a year it’s not going to happen.
Let take into consideration tax so he’s now down to £100k a week and probably has a life style built around that £100k a week just like the average person does with whatever wage they earn. £50k a week becomes £25k after tax that’s a big step down.
I agree with your first sentence. Dropping from £100k a year to £25k a year is a major lifestyle change.

But I can’t see how anyone could have a lifestyle built around £100k a week that doesn’t involve the vast majority of that being banked. Anyone taking home £25k a week can live the most luxurious lifestyle possible and still have millions in the bank.

He has more money than he could ever dream of spending.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I’ve worked with quite a few high earners. Genuinely never met one who took a 50% pay cut for doing the same job somewhere else.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
My point was more about Barca wanting to off-load him than Everton wanting him! I'm not sure they would want him either!

He's one of the ones I'm interested to see what happens when they run down their contract and become unemployed. They won't need money, that's for sure, but how much will their entitlement be in their own eyes?
Just hope, for the sake of the game, that clubs take one look at what their agent is demanding (My client is a £165K a week Barcelona player, and expects at least the same) and say, "No chance, move on."
His agent will probably try and push him to go to Saudi Arabia.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
No matter which side of the Fati fence you sit (shit/ok), no-one argue that he's been outstanding and lit up the PL. Not done his Barca future any favours so it'll be interesting to see where he goes next.

Can see him at Spuds or Newcastle at the most in the EPL, if not then one of the top Italian or German sides, Or even Saudi. Be given silly money there but it'll be a black hole for his career and Spain hopes (unless Southgate Spanish twin were to manage Spain).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I don't see why either - but elite footballers and their agents don't think the same way as normal people.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't see why either - but elite footballers and their agents don't think the same way as normal people.
It's not just elite footballers. It applies to business people / millionaires anyone with money and status.

This isn't just me saying this, studies have found it. The thing that motivates people with money and status is to have more money and status than their peers.

The you and I logic of not really needing the money wouldn't compute to them

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I’ve worked with quite a few high earners. Genuinely never met one who took a 50% pay cut for doing the same job somewhere else.
Oh, I agree with that completely. But when his contract runs out at Barca, he’ll have no choice but STILL earn more than the rest of us could ever begin to imagine.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Those saying they've never seen anything to suggest he could be top level, I would suggest watching his goal against Ajax (away) again. The way he takes the ball completely in his stride without dropping any pace, and the calmness and ease of the finish - it was all top class.

His first touch to create the goalscoring opportunity is first class, he makes something quite difficult look very, very easy there, IMO.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Especially when there were plenty of other employees happy to pay a similar rate.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
If they are genuinely considering offering Fermin Lopez in exhange as that article states or are willing to sell him, we should be all over that!

I doubt we will be actively looking to sell Fermin. He's probably worth more to us as a cheap squad player who brings something different than our other midfielders than what we could realistically get for him on the market. We also need depth in midfield given Pedri's injury history, Gavi also coming off a long term injury and Gundo at his age also shouldn't really play as much as he is this season. But ofc if a good offer for Fermin will arrive then the club will consider it. Only unsellable players right now are Yamal and Cubarsi due to their age and long term projection. Everyone else has their price but would clearly take big money to sell someone like Araujo for example.

Those reports about including Fermin and other players in the Amadou Onana deal is just the usual nonsense from Catalan media during international breaks. And well, they have these stupid ideas of players swap deals every summer but there is a reason (or multiple reasons) why transfers like this are very rare.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I doubt we will be actively looking to sell Fermin. He's probably worth more to us as a cheap squad player who brings something different than our other midfielders than what we could realistically get for him on the market. We also need depth in midfield given Pedri's injury history, Gavi also coming off a long term injury and Gundo at his age also shouldn't really play as much as he is this season. But ofc if a good offer for Fermin will arrive then the club will consider it. Only unsellable players right now are Yamal and Cubarsi due to their age and long term projection. Everyone else has their price but would clearly take big money to sell someone like Araujo for example.

Those reports about including Fermin and other players in the Amadou Onana deal is just the usual nonsense from Catalan media during international breaks. And well, they have these stupid ideas of players swap deals every summer but there is a reason (or multiple reasons) why transfers like this are very rare.
I like what I’ve seen of Fermin and lately he’s been a really important player for you.

Obviously Yamal is incredible but Cubarsi also looks insanely good for his age. Isn’t there a concern though about the low salary and buy out contract he’s got at the moment and that you won’t be able to increase it with the the current and incoming financial restrictions?

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
I like what I’ve seen of Fermin and lately he’s been a really important player for you.

Obviously Yamal is incredible but Cubarsi also looks insanely good for his age. Isn’t there a concern though about the low salary and buy out contract he’s got at the moment and that you won’t be able to increase it with the the current and incoming financial restrictions?

You're right, he has a pretty low clause right now as he's still under youth contract but now that he has established himself I'm not really affraid to lose him. Barça has already offered him a new contract with a modest pay raise according to his new status as a first team player and a higher clause. Only problem is as he's still 17 he could only renew for a maximum three years so would have to sign another longer term extension when he turns 18 next January. But like we did with Yamal this next extension could already be negotiated and pre-agreed now with his agent.

We'll probably have some obstacles to register Cubarsi as a first team player like we had with Gavi but will manage it in the end. Registering contract renewals is easier than signing/registering new players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here